Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

so far all I've done is roll the pistol over....cup my hand over the slide as I pinch it just in front of the ejection port with my thumb and pointer finger...then I rack it back just enough to kick the round into my hand...and then I move my thumb/pointer back to the rear of the slide and open it up for the RO. it takes a fraction of a second, the barrel is always downrange and nobody is bending over picking up my shit. ROs have enough work to do...don't need them cleaning up after me too.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far all I've done is roll the pistol over....cup my hand over the slide as I pinch it just in front of the ejection port with my thumb and pointer finger...then I rack it back just enough to kick the round into my hand...and then I move my thumb/pointer back to the rear of the slide and open it up for the RO. it takes a fraction of a second, the barrel is always downrange and nobody is bending over picking up my shit. ROs have enough work to do...don't need them cleaning up after me too.

I will never pick up a round for a shooter when I RO. That's not in the job description.

Be careful cupping the ejection port. When a round does decide to go off after hitting the ejector your fingers won't like it much.

I've had RO's hold their hand out so that the ejected round falls into their hand and I've had them watch the round fall to the ground and then point it out. While it's not in their job description to catch the round nor point it out I do appreciate it when they do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've learned how to do the ammo flipping thing I do it fairly regularly, The muzzle is always pointed straight down range and it's very obvious the round is out of the chamber ... after which I hold open the slide again and show the RO an empty chamber until he tells me I'm good ....

Showboating plane and simple.

plain and simple Sarge...

That's just my advise :)

:eatdrink: I especially like the guys struggling to get out of D class who have a camera set up down range, another shooter videoing them, a camera on their head AND doing the flip and catch to perfection. All while not knowing they can start with 11 rounds in Production or not knowing what virginia count means. :rolleyes:

Is that a shot at me Sarge? Or are you feeling defensive because I teased you about your grammar?

God no! I was talking about the guys you know that you and I both see at matches. Of course if the shoe fits..... :)

I'm not a D class shooter, I don't generally flip and catch, or wear a GoPro, but I do object to a general elitism I detected in your comment. As if only A class shooters or better are worthy of recording their shooting or imitating the cool kids after.

:eatdrink: I especially like the guys struggling to get out of D class who have a camera set up down range, another shooter videoing them, a camera on their head AND doing the flip and catch to perfection. All while not knowing they can start with 11 rounds in Production or not knowing what virginia count means. :rolleyes:

Maybe the shooter with the cameras set up is using them as a training aid to try and get better.

Your post sounds like that if a person bragging about how many posts he has on a forum. Just because the guy isn't as good as you doesn't make him and his efforts to get better any less valid.

When Max did the 5 second bill drill, was that showboating, or just demonstrating the skills he has taught himself. Nothjng about his drill was against the rules, neither is the flip. Same same.

I do talk to a lot of new shooters who don't shoot the pistol/division they want for fear of being judged unworthy by more seasoned shooters; I was one of them. I knew I wanted to shoot Open, but didn't want to stroll up to the line with a shiny $3k pistol and tank a classifier, so I shot L10 in an attempt to "earn my stripes".

Maybe the shooter with the cameras set up is using them as a training aid to try and get better.

Your post sounds like that if a person bragging about how many posts he has on a forum. Just because the guy isn't as good as you doesn't make him and his efforts to get better any less valid.

When Max did the 5 second bill drill, was that showboating, or just demonstrating the skills he has taught himself. Nothjng about his drill was against the rules, neither is the flip. Same same.

5 second bill drill?

I do talk to a lot of new shooters who don't shoot the pistol/division they want for fear of being judged unworthy by more seasoned shooters; I was one of them. I knew I wanted to shoot Open, but didn't want to stroll up to the line with a shiny $3k pistol and tank a classifier, so I shot L10 in an attempt to "earn my stripes".

To hell with that! C class guys are the salt of this sport! Nobody needs to earn their stripes here! That is retarded. Could 99.5% of the guys here even make minimum wage as a " professional shooter " no. (Obvious exception being those in uniform)

5 second bill drill?
triple bill drill actually. Edited by B45C22

My point is they should be worrying more about fundamentals and practicing instead of perfecting the art of the flip and catch. Funny how that morphed into an elitist comment and bragging about post count. I'm stuck in B and my signature even says support class shooter and proud of it because I have been in several arguments with others who think they are better than the rest of us. Anyone who knows me knows I am not an elitist and I certainly have nothing to brag about when it comes to shooting. As a matter of fact my percentage has dropped off 4 points this season alone!

But you are all entitled to think whatever you wish. If you ever met me you would see just how far off base you really are.

Like when I used to help,out with my nephews little league team, it used to DRIVE ME INSANE!!! The kids all knew how to hold their hand up to tell them up they weren't ready as they did their little dance in the batters box. They all knew how to adjust their batting gloves 15 times, and how to bang the nonexistent mud of their cleats with their bat.... they just couldn't play baseball in the slightest. (Damn Tv)

Edited by cas