Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Oh so glad this thread is getting some action!!!

Hey, I can flip, holster, then catch!

You must have had to practice for months to perfect that just to show off, thereby neglecting your shooting skills, hahahahaha.

The only skillz that matter = awesome flip and catch.

I just figured this thread was a ghost town on account of the thousands of fatalities from detonating rounds.

You must have had to practice for months to perfect that just to show off, thereby neglecting your shooting skills, hahahahaha.

The only skillz that matter = awesome flip and catch.

I just figured this thread was a ghost town on account of the thousands of fatalities from detonating rounds.

Sometimes if I feel like I especially want to live on the edge I flip and lock the slide back in one motion so I can catch the round and have it locked back for the RO. I need to step up my game, clearly.

Not a fan. I'm more interested in being sure the gun is clear and getting to the scoring. It's a time waster...

it takes less time than bending over to pick up a round.

Not for the RO. For the RO it's fastest if you dump the mag, and retract and hold open the slide while presenting the gun.....

Picking up your ejected round only adds time to the competitor...... :devil::devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very experienced shooter who did a very showy 'flip and catch' every time - until the time he forgot to remove the magazine first! He would flip the round high up into the air, drop the hammer, and catch the round in his off hand.

As RO, I saw there was another round in the mag, and yelled "NO", but he was in his groove, had an ND, and was required to leave the range.

I understand that the detonations have all occurred with .40 S&W, and was one of the reasons for the switch to small pistol primers in the caliber. I have seen one, and it was not pretty - bloody, but not a serious wound.

Not all with .40

A good shooting buddy took shrapnel in his nose when his .38 super detonated on extraction. Lots of blood, but no serious damage thankfully. Scared the crap out of the RO and shooter, though. My flipping days were over after seeing that.

Just wondering - Does Superman Jerry flip and catch his moons at UL&SC? :bow:

i would think that with just a little practice you could flip the round in the air, show the RO an empty chamber, holster, do a 360 in place ( like in rymthic gymnastics), catch the round in your teeth and finish with a nice sweeping bow & exit the range stage right ...

hmmmmm .... I might need to add this to my dry fire routine as it's starting to get a little stale ... I'll have to move outside though as the ceiling in my garage is not high enough ...

Edited by Nimitz

I had a very experienced shooter who did a very showy 'flip and catch' every time - until the time he forgot to remove the magazine first! He would flip the round high up into the air, drop the hammer, and catch the round in his off hand.

As RO, I saw there was another round in the mag, and yelled "NO", but he was in his groove, had an ND, and was required to leave the range.

I understand that the detonations have all occurred with .40 S&W, and was one of the reasons for the switch to small pistol primers in the caliber. I have seen one, and it was not pretty - bloody, but not a serious wound.

Whats ND?

Whats ND?

ND stands for Negative Dude, because they are normally pretty bummed after their gun Negligently Discharges and are asked to leave the range ;)

Edited by nitrohuck

Required to leave the range for an AD? Is that in the new rule book somewhere?

Required to leave the range for an AD? Is that in the new rule book somewhere?
Pretty sure a ND during unload and show clear/hammer down holster has always been a DQ.