Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

I had some replies to my first post about my method being "unsafe".

That is why I replied by stating "I never cover the ejection port when I do this".

I think it IS unsafe to cover the ejection port with your hand when you rack the slide, especially if you do it quickly.

My method only involves reaching to the right with my right hand when the round ejects to the right.

I think a video would be helpful on any one of these posts.

Randy

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some replies to my first post about my method being "unsafe".

That is why I replied by stating "I never cover the ejection port when I do this".

I think it IS unsafe to cover the ejection port with your hand when you rack the slide, especially if you do it quickly.

My method only involves reaching to the right with my right hand when the round ejects to the right.

I think a video would be helpful on any one of these posts.

Randy

You're correct video would help. I can't visualize this unless you are a left handed shooter.

Who said anything about covering the ejection port? When this thread started we were talking about a very specific procedure

• Thumb on mag release button, remove mag
  • Put mag in back pocket
  • Turn gun with ejection port up
  • With finger up the side of the slide, rack the slide
  • Catch bullet in the air
  • After palming the bullet pull slide to the rear for inspection by the RO
  • After holster command and doing so take cartridge in right hand and after retrieving mag from back pocket, insert cartridge and leave stage

This is the procedure I use. Nothing about covering the ejection port, turning the gun upside down or urinating on the RO. Please don't make something out of it that it's not.

Who said anything about covering the ejection port? When this thread started we were talking about a very specific procedure

• Thumb on mag release button, remove mag
  • Put mag in back pocket
  • Turn gun with ejection port up
  • With finger up the side of the slide, rack the slide
  • Catch bullet in the air
  • After palming the bullet pull slide to the rear for inspection by the RO
  • After holster command and doing so take cartridge in right hand and after retrieving mag from back pocket, insert cartridge and leave stage
This is the procedure I use. Nothing about covering the ejection port, turning the gun upside down or urinating on the RO. Please don't make something out of it that it's not.

I put the mag back into an empty mag holder on my belt not a pocket. I guess this means we should start this debate all over!

( to Ray who I have quoted... No disrespect bro, just would like to see this whole topic gone over in detail again, just with more opinions about safety.)

I learned the hard way not to put the partially filled mag back in a mag holder. With the adrenal still flowing after a stage I'm prone to forget that I put that mag there. First mag change on the next stage I end up with that mag with two rounds in it and a really stupid look on my face.

I pretty much went over the way that I unload before showing clear. I don't have to go looking for that round and if I don't find it, it really pisses off the guy that cuts the grass. Besides, I don't have a sponsor and ammo costs a lot more " thank you Mr. Obama"

BTW, no offense was taken.

I put the mag back into an empty mag holder on my belt not a pocket. I guess this means we should start this debate all over!

:o

That will get you killed in the streets.

I am somewhat religious about not putting anything except full mags on my belt.

After nationals, I am now somewhat religious about remembering to put mags on my belt PERIOD, lol.

:o

That will get you killed in the streets.

I am somewhat religious about not putting anything except full mags on my belt.

After nationals, I am now somewhat religious about remembering to put mags on my belt PERIOD, lol.

Yeah I heard about that!?

gotta stow the partial on my belt so I have a good excuse to tune out for the next 20 minutes at my cart cleaning and reloading mags!

Huh?? What happened?

someone that ultimo hombre knows went to the line in the staff match at production nationals with the mag in his gun and 1 other mag and the rest of his belt empty. Attention to detail is harder when you're trying to do more than your share of pasting and RO help because most of the squad is paying shooters and not staff.

hope it was a short stage....

I'm sure we've all seen the shooter go up to the line, start the stage and quickly realise he's not filled his mags from the last stage and has a 2 round mag, a 6 round mag, an empty mag and other random variations on that. makes for interesting viewing... it'll be long time before he makes that mistake again. :)

at any match immediately after I've finished a stage, and signed the score sheet I go straight over to my gear. take all mags off my belt. UNLOAD them all. check if any need cleaning, then refill them all and replace on my belt.

• 3 weeks later...

If my memory serves me correctly flipping became more common with the use of red dot sights. Putting a hand around or under a sight mount was more difficult especially with all the variations in mounts at that time. Many slides could not be cycled fully from the front and slide rackers were just coming around.

I was taught all the way back in the 80s not to put my hand anywhere near the ejection port for good reason. Someone mentioned way back in a post the o.a.l. of a round which is one of the main problems along with loose extractors. Before the abundance of quality produced parts the ejection ports were lowered and lengthened and long ejectors cut as needed. Ejector length and extractor tension became even more critical with the popularity of red dots. Ejectors usually became a little shorter again. The gun has to be able to easily live eject. I just started back and with the production division I would think the live eject could be more of an issue on some factory stock guns.

I did both depending on where I was, in the U.S or Canada, and if it was mentioned by an R.O. which was not that uncommon in those days. If I flipped it was muzzle pointed at a slight downward angle with the ejection port up, pointing the ejection port away from myself and the R.O. If I did not flip I would still angle the ejection port slightly away with the port to the side not up, eject the round on the ground while locking the slide back and bring the gun back for a normal R.O. inspection. Then I actually would bend over after holstering and pick up my round lol, I am now 54 and I can still bend over! I personally feel ejecting the round with some authority is less likely to leave one tangled up in the gun potentially creating an issue then slowly retracting the slide regardless of the flip or not.

David Clark a6252

Edited by Build4u

Covering the ejection port with a hand to catch the round as you UASC is when the danger of an ejector fire comes in. Trapping the round against the opening of the port and letting the slide go can cause the ejector to contact the primer is where the danger of slam fire exists.