Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the flip and catch thing but that's just me. It just bugs me when it happens but since it's permitted I just have to deal with it.

Why does it bug you? virtually ALL the top shooters do it. Does it bug you when someone gets all alphas and a fast time too?

Why does it bug you? virtually ALL the top shooters do it. Does it bug you when someone gets all alphas and a fast time too?

That's the odd thing - I can't pinpoint one thing to say that's why it bugs me. It just does. I think some of it is the big show that some shooters make when they do it. It's as if the higher they can eject the cartridge the higher their style points will be. The fact that virtually ALL of the top shooters does it doesn't mean squat. Regarding all alpha and fast time, absolutely not. I'll gladly congratulate them on their run, regardless if they flip and catch or not.

I havent read through the entire thread but when I catch a round I lock the slide back when I go to do it. Tough to get a gun in a much safer condition than that.

Unless you go chasing after the round and sweep yourself in the process

I don't like the flip and catch thing but that's just me. It just bugs me when it happens but since it's permitted I just have to deal with it.

The flip and catch doesn't bother me. But when someone gets all alphas and a low time, THAT bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I don't get angry at the other shooter, I'll sincerely congratulate them. But it bugs the hell out of me that I didn't do it too.

I'm not cool enough to catch the round in the air and I'm smart enough to not cover the ejection port with my hand. I just let the round land on the ground then pick it up. I don't think the flip/catch is unsafe and it doesn't bother me but seeing someone cover the ejection port with their hand and eject the round into it makes me cringe.

Why does ejecting the round into your hand make you cringe? Seeing people eject live round onto the ground make me run for cover.

I'm not cool enough to catch the round in the air and I'm smart enough to not cover the ejection port with my hand. I just let the round land on the ground then pick it up. I don't think the flip/catch is unsafe and it doesn't bother me but seeing someone cover the ejection port with their hand and eject the round into it makes me cringe.

Why does ejecting the round into your hand make you cringe? Seeing people eject live round onto the ground make me run for cover.

If they loose control of slide and primer of partially ejected round hits ejector and detonates then shrapnel goes into hand covering ejection port. I have seen pictures of this with a Glock in a training bulletin. Not a pretty sight.

A dropped cartridge is pretty unlikely to strike the ground in a manner that will ignite the primer, even if you have people ejecting them onto beds of nails.

A faulty ejector or potentially user error can cause an out of battery detonation -- there are documented instances of this.

Unfortunately, I had a round go off under my feet. It was a 40s&w factory round ejected onto a rough concrete driveway. I know that my odds are better at winning the lottery than this ever happing again, but I choose to catch my round.

If they loose control of slide and primer of partially ejected round hits ejector and detonates then shrapnel goes into hand covering ejection port. I have seen pictures of this with a Glock in a training bulletin. Not a pretty sight.
That make sense. Thanks. Edited by CSStreett

That make sense. Thanks.

Of course it does. The only thing that makes me wince a little while ROing is to see a shooter cup his hand over the ejection port and gently rack a loaded round into it. Lot's of extended this and that parts on these competition guns and plenty of ammo loaded really too long to clear said parts reliably.

In 50 years I have never seen a round detonate after hitting the ground. But in the last 3-4 I have seen detonations in the shooters gun hands.

That make sense. Thanks.

Of course it does. The only thing that makes me wince a little while ROing is to see a shooter cup his hand over the ejection port and gently rack a loaded round into it. Lot's of extended this and that parts on these competition guns and plenty of ammo loaded really too long to clear said parts reliably.

In 50 years I have never seen a round detonate after hitting the ground. But in the last 3-4 I have seen detonations in the shooters gun hands.

That can't be a pleasant experience. Thanks Sarge. I guess that's something you don't think of until it happens to you.

Or happens to someone standing right beside you.

Ask GeorgeinNEPA sometime why he has a slide racker on his limited gun......

Hint -- it involved an ER visit following a match.....

Ask GeorgeinNEPA sometime why he has a slide racker on his limited gun......

Hint -- it involved an ER visit following a match.....

Yep, a local buddy of mine was having gun issues with a 40 and kept racking until finally the ejector touched one off while I was ROing him. UGLY! he did get a scenic chopper ride out of it though!

I can't imagine if a hand had been cupped over that mini blast!

I havent read through the entire thread but when I catch a round I lock the slide back when I go to do it. Tough to get a gun in a much safer condition than that.

Unless you go chasing after the round and sweep yourself in the process

Why would someone do that? sweeping yourself is against the rules no matter why you are doing it.

this thread inspired me to spend the 90 seconds required to get good at the flip and catch, so now I usually do it, but if the round ejects forward in the slightest I just let it go.

Come on Moto! I have read enough of your posts to know you are a smart guy. Newer shooters who do the flip often don't know exactly where it is going every time and they tend to chase the round in the air without looking at the gun. I don't recall ever DQing anyone but I have issued several warnings telling the shooter they were within inches of sweeping their hand

the correct command is "if you are clear, hammer down, holster".

Actually the correct command is "If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster" Rule 8.3.7. (Sorry just took RO class that commands were drilled into us so we'd saw them correctly).

lol, you are right. added the 'you are' which is from "if you are finished....." my bad.

I usually just jack the round on to the ground....my gun runs better with a little dirt in it....

BUT

I have been dryfire practicing that flip and catch quite a bit...I bet I could land a solid A time on the classifier for it....wait no classifier for it? Damn.

Perhaps some are forgetting that rolling the firearm over and letting the unfired round fall into a cupped hand is taught at some places.

I prefer the flip and catch, but I will also let it go if it flips forward as someone said. I also doubt a round falling on the ground would ignite - testiment to the revolver shooters and partially-fired moon clips falling on the ground, even stepped on sometimes.

Another technique I often see (at least with open shooters), is to slowly move the slide back, letting the extractor catch the round and pulling it into the mag area; then the round falls into and down through the mag chute into the shooter's hand underneath the mag well. It is all done quite slowly, nothing quick like the flip and catch.

Perhaps some are forgetting that rolling the firearm over and letting the unfired round fall into a cupped hand is taught at some places. I'm guessing you mean like a self defense or tactical training? Remember, a lot of these competition rounds are loaded long, especially .40 S&W. The round barely fits in the ejection port and is often times the culprit in a detonation as we know it in USPSA. Some 38 Super guys load incredibly long as well. Slow rack with hand over the port is really tempting fate.

Another technique I often see (at least with open shooters), is to slowly move the slide back, letting the extractor catch the round I rack slowly and let the round roll out onto my finger on the grip. I have plenty of clearance with my 9MAJOR rounds. This beats having to bend down and pick it up, clean it, etc.