Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Fool's Errand? 2011 Delima

bulldog009

Opinions needed:

As someone who has shot almost exclusively Glocks for the majority of my shooting life, I have always wanted to take the jump in to the 2011 game for Limited. However, I don't shoot the 45 acp 1911 that I own well at all, as compared to my Glock 34, and I really don't enjoy shooting it. I'm not sure if its the caliber difference, or the platform difference. So, am I fooling myself into thinking that I can shoot a 2011 as well as my 34? Having never had the opportunity to shoot a 2011, should I not spend the money to make the platform jump, only to end up with a similar situation as the 1911?

Thanks in advance!

I shoot Glocks and CZ's much better than I shoot 1911's, even though I love the idea of 1911's.  I tried going the Tanfo route instead of getting into a 2011 last year, but once I tried a 2011, I was hooked (when it comes to Limited/Open guns).

If you're interested in trying out a 2011, I say give it a shot.  Buy a used one and see how you like it, that way you won't be out a ton of money if you decide you don't like it.

Howdy bulldog009, I started with an M&P 40 Pro, then a Tanfoglio Limited and finally moved to a 2011 platform.  I definitely believe moving from a plastic gun is a plus with recoil management. I believe you need to spend some time with a friend's 2011 before throwing down the coins and if you still want to move to a 2011 consider a Dawson CRP. It is a little less expensive than a custom 2011 and can always be used as a backup gun if you decide on a custom build and it can also allow you to learn what you want in a custom gun  Best of luck in your quest

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

How much have you shot your 1911? What is it about it that prevents you from shooting it well?

I've shot it a good bit over the last year of owning it. I don't know an approximate round count. But, even after punching countless holes in paper, I just can't seem to keep a consistent sight picture, and my follow up shots are slow and typically off target. 

Edited by bulldog009
Spelling

It could well be something as simple as your grip and stance. Also, the Glock has a more canted or wrist forward grip angle. If you're shooting the 1911 after a session with the Glock you might see some low groups. Are the groups with the 1911 a vertical/horizontal string, or are your shots all over the board? 

Hello: Do you reload? If so you may try a different load for your 45 1911. Everyone that goes to the 2011 platform that I know does better with it than they did with there old pistols. A nice trigger helps a lot. Find a used Edge pistol and shoot it for a while with different bullet weights till you find what you like best. If you end up not liking it you will not loose much that way on resale. Thanks, Eric

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!  Quit grabbing your Glock!  Put it away until you give your 1911 a honest run.  The main reason I love a 1911 platform is the trigger.  The second reason is the grip angle.  Both are completely different on a Glock.  You have to get used to it. 

I shot a Glock 24 in limited for about 7 months because I couldn't afford to move up.  I ended up with a RIA Pro Match .40, for about a 1000 bucks. I will never go back to a striker fired gun. 

Besides, you are in Texas and should shoot a 1911 or 2011. 

16 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

It could well be something as simple as your grip and stance. Also, the Glock has a more canted or wrist forward grip angle. If you're shooting the 1911 after a session with the Glock you might see some low groups. Are the groups with the 1911 a vertical/horizontal string, or are your shots all over the board? 

Its typically all over the board. And I have done sessions where I've only shot the 1911, and its the same story. 

11 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Do you reload? If so you may try a different load for your 45 1911. Everyone that goes to the 2011 platform that I know does better with it than they did with there old pistols. A nice trigger helps a lot. Find a used Edge pistol and shoot it for a while with different bullet weights till you find what you like best. If you end up not liking it you will not loose much that way on resale. Thanks, Eric

I do reload, and am using a pretty basic load out of the Lyman Manual. I like the idea of trying to find a used Edge. 

10 minutes ago, superlifer03 said:

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!  Quit grabbing your Glock!  Put it away until you give your 1911 a honest run.  The main reason I love a 1911 platform is the trigger.  The second reason is the grip angle.  Both are completely different on a Glock.  You have to get used to it. 

I shot a Glock 24 in limited for about 7 months because I couldn't afford to move up.  I ended up with a RIA Pro Match .40, for about a 1000 bucks. I will never go back to a striker fired gun. 

Besides, you are in Texas and should shoot a 1911 or 2011. 

I dry fire as much as possible. I think a lot of it lies in anticipation of recoil on the 1911, as compared to the 34. The triggers are worlds apart, which is a big reason I don't want to give up on the idea of a 2011 just yet. 

Big difference between shooting a .45 and 9mm...  Even when the 9mm gun is plastic...  Try to borrow someone's Glock 35 and compare that to your Glock 34...  You'll notice a big difference...

Check out the limited shooters at your range...  I'll bet that you'll find most of them shooting 2011 with major powerfactor...  STI Edge's are extremely popular...  That's what I shoot...  Triggers are good, and can be made super...

I have a friend who shot a glock 34 for years until he found a deal on an 2011. He was very disappointed initially with his performance with the 2011, it has taken him about a year but now he says he wouldn't go back. You are not only looking at a change in platform but a change in caliber and it does make a difference and the learning curve will depend on how much time you spend with the gun in your hands.

When I switched I was shooting an M&P Pro 9mm for IDPA and the 2011 for limited, I did not truly feel I was making progress with the 2011 until I shot it exclusively so I bought another just for IDPA and have not looked back. I still like my M&P and can shoot it well enough but the difference in trigger is worth the change to me.

I went through your decision recently. I shot my M&P9 a lot better than I shot my .45 1911. I didn't have an issue with sight picture though, but I did have a problem with split times and not being as accurate. I rented an M&P45 and was having the same issues as the 1911 so I attributed it to a caliber difference.

See if you can borrow a 2011 from somebody or if somebody will let you shoot it for a bit to see if you like it or not. It will most likely be in .40 though unless it is a 3 gun match.

I was in the same boat as you. I started with a glock 34 in production then after some time I got tired of reloading and moved to a 35 for limited. Shot that for about 7 months and then got a STI DVC in .40. I am so glad I did. Not only has it been a blast to shoot this past year but my shooting has actually gotten better. The gun just feels more natural in my hand.

I am looking to build a custom one this next year while I work on open with the DVC Open I got a couple months ago. The nice thing about the Glocks is they are a simple drop in for replacing and upgrading parts. That said I am able to learn more about the 1911/2011 platforms as I am tooling and getting my guns really set up for me.

I find it interesting how so many people follow this path in shooting sports. The Glock is the gateway drug to the 2011. You get hooked on the game, and then finally it's the custom 2011 with all the bells a whistles.

3 hours ago, andrewtac said:

Where are you?  I'll let you shoot mine, I bet you will change your mind.  I am in Houston (SE).  I was a glock guy for years, shot a CZ changed the next day.  Did single stack for a while, now to limited.  I'd suggest trying one built for uspsa. 

I'm in Dallas. I would love the opportunity to get to try one out before I drop the change for one.

I'm in Dallas. I would love the opportunity to get to try one out before I drop the change for one.

I'm in Dallas. You're welcome to shoot a 2011 of mine. I have an edge also in .40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

If you make it to Houston pm me and I'll meet you somewhere.  Lonestar innovations is in Houston (Spring).  I used him, I really like a local guy and operating FTF.

I was a staunch Glock fanboy, and hated 1911s.

I gave them an honest try (I thought) but couldn't get used to them.

Earlier this year I picked up a SA Mil-Spec on a whim, with a few upgrades (beavertail, trigger, etc..) and it just clicked for me at the range the first time out.

I'm still nowhere near as proficient and fast with the 1911 as I am with my Glocks, but I finally enjoy shooting them now. I picked up a widebody RIA in .40 to use in Limited next season too. Actually shot my first match with it a week and a half ago and did as well as I would have with my G34.

So no, it's not a fool's errand, but you should handle and shoot as many as you can before purchasing one to find out what it is you do and don't like.

It's funny, I've actually gone through the opposite thing (sorta). I've been a hardcore 1911/2011 guy for over a decade and over the past year I decided I was going to make a firm commitment to the striker fired world. Well.... I tried. I tried really, really, really hard. Unfortunately I'm also a major trigger snob. So I just recently decided to go back to my original love and pick up the 1911 again. The trigger, weight distribution, recoil control, sight picture, everything just works better..... for me. The question is, what works best for you?

I went through the same mental drills too. I've been very successful with my G34/35 for the last several years but got the bug for a 1911/2011. I picked up a Trojan and it's a great gun but the grip is just too small for my large hands. After researching 2011's I've ordered an Atlas 2011. Now begins the wait........

3 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

I went through the same mental drills too. I've been very successful with my G34/35 for the last several years but got the bug for a 1911/2011. I picked up a Trojan and it's a great gun but the grip is just too small for my large hands. After researching 2011's I've ordered an Atlas 2011. Now begins the wait........

DSPerman 19-20 grips. They will make your 1911 feel like a 2011 in the hand.

I made the Glock to 2011 switch January of this year. At first I thought I had made a big, expensive mistake. I could shoot more accurately with the 2011, but I couldn't shoot it fast for anything. The drastically shorter trigger travel took a while to get the hang of. I feel like it took a couple thousand rounds and a lot of dry fire to get me in sync with the gun.

I am a 1911 lover.  I hate plastic guns, even if they have the world's best trigger job done on them.  When I decided to get into USPSA, I listened to what turned out to be incorrect advice and decided on Limited.  I'm an SAO kind of guy.  I was in the middle of a 1911 build then, so I didn't have time to build a 2011.  I bought a new CZ 75 Tactical Sport, a fourth mag and extended base pads.  I had no problem shooting that gun.  I now have a 2011.  I'll tell you that IMO, the TS is a better Limited gun.  It sits deeper and lower in your hand.  Recoil with the same PF load feels softer and muzzle rise is less.  The grip feels much more natural than an STI grip on my 2011.  It comes ready to run.  

When it comes to Open, the 2011 is the better platform.  I tried turning the TS into an Open gin.  I succeeded with a complete new upper, but my options were quite constrained.  With my 2011 Open gun you have a bewildering array of choices for every concealable part.