Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History Channel $100,000 Top Shot Competition

Any Shooting show that is presented in a good light is good for our shooting sports!

Thank you! History Channel!

Shooting a Gun provided to you. OK it’s the game, but that Sucks!

Too many outside factors,

I have shot many 3 Gun Competitions, and there are a few that have Stage guns. They are always a Box of Chocolates. I like to shoot any Gun,, but not always in a 3 Gun Competition stage.

I put a lot of time into my Guns, Supporting equipment, and ammo, Loading Crono,, testing. I can’t think of too many people I would trust to set up my equipment, and know that it would be set up RIGHT.

That is this game, and that is the way it is.

Mike, ( you Man-ed UP) and told it like it was, you were the man on the gun.

You get the Platinum MAN CARD, in my book.

(Still have to read your Blog to see what you have to say)

Just like a 3 Gun match, everyone should have had the chance to deal with the situation, the team shoot was,,, hmmmm what it was,,,

I wanted to see more shooting and less drama. I will watch all of them,, it is SHOOTING after all.

Jim M ammo

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the show, then again I love Survivor too. Kelly is not a jerk IMHO, I don't know him but all I see is a very confident young man who has a lot of talent to back up his confidence. I will be watching every show, can't wait to see El Beno on the small screen. :cheers:

more like a confident young man with a big mouth, who has alot of talent to back up his big mouth. At 22 years of age, I probably would have been the same :)

Definately, kudos to the History channel for putting our guys up there and getting them recognized. something else that maybe cool to add if there is a Top Gun 2, is to show highlights of them shooting, in thier respective games, to give the audience a feel for what they can do! Like showing Blazing Blake rip 12 splits on a group of targets. Or a sharpshooter shooting a target at some ridiculous range.

First off, I am glad there is a shooting show on TV on a channel that I can see. I will keep watching.

Second, I don't care for the "Survivor" format and voting shooters into the elimination challenge. I think they should have had some sort of point system for individuals in the team competitions and the two lowest scoring face elimination rather than the voting. Voting lets too much of personality get involved and not skill.

As for last night's show, I would have thought the obvious choices for elimination were Mike and his spotter. After all, no one else ever got a chance to compete so the loss is squarely on their shoulders. Also, putting that young kid up against Mike in the elimination stacked the odds against Mike. He is a very good all around shot, but that kid's specialty is long range rifle.

My prediction for next wweek is another blue team win, but if they should lose it will probably be because of the older gent who was partnered with JJ in the first competition. It would appear that handguns are not his forte.

Just my thoughts and opinions,YMMV.

I sorta liked the show. I did not care for the "Survivor" format, but realize the producers are not catering to my likes, but rather they are simply following a formula that works for them and their main audiance.

It would have been nice to see Mike advance, Too bad they did not do the pistol stuff first, as Kelly would probably be packing instead.

I am anxious to see how the "kid" does against the likes of J.J., and Blake...

One of the big things to bear in mind about the show is that History is making a shooting show for people that watch Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers, and Swamp Loggers. While there are shooters that watch History, the majority of their viewing audience are not hardcore IDPA/USPSA guys; and that's actually the beauty of Top Shot. My wife and her best friend, neither of whom are shooters and who will refuse to sit through an episode of Shooting Gallery or ShootingUSA were both watching Top Shot, and they were invested in the action. That's the important thing - non-shooters watching the show and seeing guns and shooting presented in an entirely non-threatening light.

If anyone happens to know when they will re-air episode one please post it here. thx

ps- I'm disappointed none of you were watching the Flyers game!

We were watching Mike's Flyers....... :D

If anyone happens to know when they will re-air episode one please post it here. thx

ps- I'm disappointed none of you were watching the Flyers game!

We were watching Mike's Flyers....... :D

:surprise:

I enjoyed the show, and will watch more episodes as time permits. I was excited to see Mike on the show as well as JJ and Blake. I am not familiar with brad, but looks like he is a USPSA grand master as well. Throw in Caleb and a few of the other contestants, and practical pistol shooting is pretty well represented on the show.

Hated to see Mike go. Definately should have been he and his spotter in the shoot off. It was a team challenge, and he and his teammate failed together.

I was up at the USSA last weekend. I saw a new GT500 Mustang with the tag TOPSHOT parked in the reserved for Mike Seeklander spot up front. I'm not saying he won but that Cobra was a little black Nissan a few months ago!

Must have been a joke since he's off the show already in the first episode.

I was joking while at the same time trying to stir up a little buzz for the show. Those of you that know Seeklander or saw his demeanor on the show know he would never blow his $100k had he actually won on a car or put a TOPSHOT tag on it before the show aired. I hope nobody took my comment to Vegas and lost money because of it.

You might notice in Mike's post on his website that he noticed the rear sight was loose on the rifle... If the equipment's bad, no telling what the results might be, in the end... He also notes that he might choose a different strategy in terms of trying to influence the vote, if he were to do it over again - but I can completely appreciate the desire to shoot against the top guy you can, regardless of whether that guy's going to hand you your ass or not.

It's funny to me that you guys are dog piling on Kelly's attitude and swagger, and you don't say a peep about Blake in the trailer for the next episode... :rolleyes::lol:cheers.gif Kelly's a young guy with a lot of talent behind the rifle who's simply telling it like it is... You might've stopped to notice his demeanor behind the gun? If you had, you might've learned something... ;)

I was up at the USSA last weekend. I saw a new GT500 Mustang with the tag TOPSHOT parked in the reserved for Mike Seeklander spot up front. I'm not saying he won but that Cobra was a little black Nissan a few months ago!

Must have been a joke since he's off the show already in the first episode.

I was joking while at the same time trying to stir up a little buzz for the show. Those of you that know Seeklander or saw his demeanor on the show know he would never blow his $100k had he actually won on a car or put a TOPSHOT tag on it before the show aired. I hope nobody took my comment to Vegas and lost money because of it.

It was just my last $5.37 cents,,, I needed for food and medicine. :sight::sick::sick:

Just kidding,,, it was a good Buzzz starter!

Jim m ammo

It's funny to me that you guys are dog piling on Kelly's attitude and swagger, and you don't say a peep about Blake in the trailer for the next episode... :rolleyes::lol:cheers.gif Kelly's a young guy with a lot of talent behind the rifle who's simply telling it like it is... You might've stopped to notice his demeanor behind the gun? If you had, you might've learned something... ;)

I wholeheartedly agree. Kelly appears to be a class act and REALLY knows his stuff. Mike was right, he's going to be a world champion some day.

Kelly was a great guy to shoot against, and is a class act. He kind of got a short shrift in the first episode with the whole smiley-face thing as that didn't seem to play well.

My big takeaway from the first episode is posted here, but can be summed up in that Top Shot has the potential to be one of the best marketing tools for NON-SHOOTERS ever.

As far as the episode itself, I thought it was great, although kind of weird to see so much of my life condensed down to a single hour. Maybe the Beretta episode I'll get more than 10 seconds of screen time! :)

With all of the reality shows on TV, I can't believe you guys are buying into the Kelly is a jerk hype. I don't know the guy and never have met him or even heard of him before this show but I think we ALL know that reality shows can make anyone look like anything the directors/staff/network want them to.

Exactly why those looking for shooting and not survivor won't like it. Oh the Drama!!

...Maybe the Beretta episode I'll get more than 10 seconds of screen time! :)

i kept waiting to see you on there and i just kept waiting, haha. hopefully you get more than a couple lines on next week's show. either way its cool to see someone you "know" on tv. I kept telling my gf "I shot a match with that guy a couple months ago!"

That was rough watching Mike shoot like that, your spotter helped you out zero, but he handled it very well considering the outcome. I was really pulling for our local guy and since I've taken several classes with Mike and train at USSA. Good on you Mike for turning around and winning Area 4 as well!

Chad S...

Edited by Prov1x

I wouldn't get too worked up about the Survivor type format, because on this show they maintain the skill element as the final determination as to whether you stay or go. Politics might send you to elimination challenge, but SKILL can always bring you back.

Mike did a great job explaining his story on that web posting. Nice job in manning-up, and we never expected any less.

Terrible strategy decision though. I understand the basic idea behind challenging the best to prove yourself after the disaster at the Challenge, but if Mike had gone against someone else and perhaps STAYED, he would also have had other opportunities to prove himself the better shooter down the road. Pride cometh before the fall. Ya know ??

Blue team had a similar problem that might not have come across clearly on TV. The blue team shooter on the springfield (Iain) also fired 15+ rounds at 100 yards. That is why I was on TV saying they were laying down fire like it was downtown Fallujah! And Iain also had trouble getting good input from the spotter (Tara). Rifle, spotter, shooter... I dunno. But I do believe that RED team is going to be in worse shape heading into a pistol challenge without the skills of Mike Seeklander.

And I think the show was great, and is only going to get better !!!

So how many classified USPSA shooters are on this show?

Seeklander

Racaza

Miguez

Benson

Engmann

Giddings

Am I missing any?

Is there any other shooting discipline that is as well represented on the show? Seems to be a compliment to Practical Shooting that so many of the contestants have that background.

...I think we ALL know that reality shows can make anyone look like anything the directors/staff/network want them to.

And therein lies one of the biggest issues I have with so-called "reality shows". I hate to say this and sound like a "know it all" (which by the way, I am) but almost from the very beginning, before the first shot was fired, I had a pretty good hunch that Mike wasn't going to fair well, just because of which "sound bytes" they chose to edit in.

So how many classified USPSA shooters are on this show?

Seeklander

Racaza

Miguez

Benson

Engmann

Giddings

Am I missing any?

Iain Harrison. Sandbaggin' "C" Limited shooter who usually ends up in the top 10% at local

club matches. :roflol:

I like to play Devils advocate.

Regarding Kelly's attitude, Like Spank said, the editors can make an apple look like an orange. Secondly, the kid is 22, on TV, competing side by side against Marine snipers, GMs, etc. twice his age, and holding his own. Who among us, in those same situations, wouldn't get a little cocky?

Let's see what his behavior is when he is outside his comfort zone.