Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History Channel $100,000 Top Shot Competition

In the intro to the Springfield M1903 it looks like they used the Red Team rifle

with the Front Sight Cover in the right side firing position:

Station1.jpg

When they pan the rifle for the demo it looks like the front sight blade is shorter

than any I've seen before. Maybe it's an camera illusion. If not then something might

be broken or modified:

Frontsightshort.jpg

Red Team practice, Front Sight Cover in place:

RedPractice1.jpg

Blue Team practice, front sight hidden behind spotting scope cover:

Practice1.jpg

Blue Team practice, front sight blurry:

Practice2.jpg

Tara picks up rifle at competition. The front sight is blurry, but it kind of looks like

there is no Front Sight Cover over the barrel. It would have increased the diameter where

it snaps over:

Tarafrontsight1.jpg

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blur of Tara's front sight:

Tarafrontsight3.jpg

Iain's front sight for comparison:

IainFrontsight1.jpg

My equipment is limited and the blurs make it harder to make things out. Still, it does look like

Tara's rifle did not have the Front Sight Cover on when she picked it up. It's also possible the

Red Team rifle had a shorter than normal front sight.

This is one type of Front Sight Cover. There were many variations over the years:

M1903frontsight1.jpg

Some rear sight info:

M1903rearsight1a.jpg

M1903rearsight1.jpg

Excellent information. Thank you. I am not a vintage rifle buff, so all of this is completely new, and helps to follow some of the comments on this thread. Kind of neat to learn more about history on this forum than on the History Channel show.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

Well the shift in impact with my 03A1 with the slide group loose was less than 1 m.o.a. no matter where I placed the slide on the leaf. I did notice that Mike said he tightened the sight at one point. I wonder if in haste he got the windage knob instead of the slide group binding screw? I must say that 10 minutes would hardly be enogh to figure out an 03A1 sight.

A friend just sent me an e-mail about this show and he referred to Mike as... :goof: Misslander. :roflol:

Mike, you're still my reality TV hero :bow: but that is FUNNY.

That is kinda funny...even I have to laugh at this thing a bit...

You know no disrespect was meant. Hat's off to you. :cheers:

I can't help but wonder if part of the challenge is to dope out an unknown weapon, sight it in and succesfully engage a target. In other words, do not expect the weapon to be accurate and do not expect it to function properly!

Some more information for those who want to know (I personally am real excited someone else gets to be in the so called spotlight on Sunday....):

1. I have been given information that the gun I shot was not flawed, and this person tested it after I shot. I trust him. I believe he shot the gun with the ladder down, and the front sight hood on. So...the gun appears to be solid, and shooting straight.

2. The device that was loose was the slide binding screw (I looked at the picture), and I have been told this probably did not effect windage or elevation.

3. FOR THE RECORD: AT THIS TIME, AND AT THE TIME THE STUFF HAPPENED, I NEVER THOUGHT THAT HISTORY, OR THE PRODUCTION COMPANY DID ANYTHING TO SABATOGE ME. I REALLY THINK THIS LINE OF THINKING NEEDS TO BE DROPPED. PROMOTE THE SHOW, WATCH IT, AND ENJOY IT.

"EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD THEN I GOT MY A$$ KICKED OFF THE SHOW" IS MY OFFICIAL RESPONSE.

I WILL BE DONE WITH THIS THREAD NOW, EMAIL ME DIRECTLY WITH ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. THANKS!

thanks for the update, Mike. and nice adaptation of the Forrest griffin quote. :)

It is time to move one from the rifle topic and get back to the show in general. Im really looking forward to the pistol episode this week. lets hope the USPSA guys show their stuff well!

Please, we all know that Ben is the real star of next week's episode, not us "contestants". He even wore his favorite Justin Beiber shirt for the show!

What a jerk! I love it!

YA Justin Beiber is going to be so embarrassed! :sight:

Jim M ammo

I have a few things to say about this whole episode. Most of them do not have anything to do with the show but with the reaction to the show here on the forum. I just looked up my profile to be sure. Been a member since 2005, nearly five years at this point. Have not posted much because I have a lot to learn and you cannot learn by talking and Lou Holtz said so. I just read the fourteen pages about this show. I watched the show. Some of the show I watched twice. Evidently you cannot look away from a wreck as you drive by. I think Mr. Seeklander has be quite the man in dealing with his defeat. My hat is off to him and his behavior.

Now onto this forum. If there is anything that is obvious from reading on this forum it is this; It is the Indian not that arrow that matters. I am somewhat dissappointed by all of the broken rifle b*llsh*t that has been thrown about. Maybe it was maybe it was not. Perhaps the competition was rigged by the producers and maybe it was not. I am surprised that many seem to be unwilling to say on such and such day it was not to be for Mr. Seeklander. Sometimes you are the bear and sometimes you are the woods that gets crapped in.

Please spare us the broken rifle stuff. It is a losers limp as Zig Ziglar would say. 30 plus shots and a spotter and it does not happen. Move on. Can we just face facts. We have all missed, we have all zeroed a stage, we have all sucked at one time or another. Warrior not the weapon and Indian not the arrow. Let's at least be true to ourselves in defeat.

I am pulling for JJ and Blake for the rest of the competition.

One more comment. I am thankful that the History Channel is doing something positive with shooting, but I do not favor the philosophy that whatever is positive is best. I would like to see this be a competition and not another verison of Survivor or something like that. The Top Shot is about an individual and not some team. Have a competition and knock the lowest two scorers out each week. As a shooting sport, or community, I want to see us rest on our accomplishments and not settle for what ever floats down the river. Make it a competition and not a social event.

I don't want to see marksmen using sling shots I want to see them shooting guns this is the 21st century for Pete's sake. Would a cave man use a spear if he had a choice?

what about the bow?

Speaking of which, here's the blurb on History's website for the third episode:

Archer Enemies: Contestants compete with the legendary longbow. A breakout performance gives one team immunity, while two competitors from the losing team face off on the William Tell challenge in which they'll have to hit a series of apples with a crossbow.

I'd rather the competition be a straight up points based tally vs the "voting off" format but when you are in it and want to win, I think you need to play the game.

People need to realize that maybe Kelly wasn't picked for the elimination because they wanted HIM off, but because they wanted Mike off and Kelly was probably the guy that could best do that.

While it's admirable that Mike chose Kelly to shoot against the best long range shooter, it wasn't the wisest choice if the goal was to survive to shoot another day. If Mike would have chosen a lesser skilled shooter and won, he would have been the one shooting smiley faces in the next episode.

Edited by Filishooter

I believe the show was billed as replicating famous shots in history, so since slings, bows, crossbows, knives, blowguns, etc, have all been used throughout history, every contestant should be prepared to utilize those weapons, whether you feel they are unimportant or not. despite the fact that we are in the 21st century, history should be learned from. Just because you are proficient in one form of weapon or another, all forms should be used, and all contestants should be prepared. I hope the most well rounded marksman or adaptable one wins, otherwise its just based on luck and not skill.

Trapr

as a side note, suddenly the importance of knowing how to be accurate with iron sights becomes apparent, long live iron sight rifle divisions!!!!!

Edited by bigbrowndog

I think Schoonie might be correct. The challenge must have been to "dope out" an unknown rifle. A 6" target, at 100 yards, w. a known rifle, simply isn't much of a challenge for the majority of shooters, certainly not for the level of shooters on that program. I wouldn't have been too surprised if some of the contestants did that w. their own pistols.

Edited by Aglifter

Someone good with a pistol ISN'T necessarily good with a rifle, and folks who may be "good" with an optic sighted rifle may not be good with Iron sights at all. Yes many of the contestant seem to have a USPSA background, but unless they have put in time with rifles, and in this case bows they may not perform in the mannor that one would expect, even though they are a G.M.

I wouldn't have been too surprised if some of the contestants did that w. their own pistols.

Two, mebbe three shots, any of the GM's there, no problem.

Just two more days until we get to groan and moan and Monday morning QB about somebody else. :D:cheers::sight:

Afterall this show isnt on ESPN or a shooting channel.....its on the HISTORY channel. as the trailer caleb posted for episode 3, the William tell will be a challenge. there is going to be much more older weapons and adapation challenges than who can shoot 10 beer cans the fastest with a handgun.

i thought the first show was pretty cool, looking foward to the pistol show, i loved it when blake says , watch this, then shoots the x..I have only shot one match with him and it was several years ago in alabama, but he was a lot of fun to shoot with and a fantastic shooter. Go Blake !!