Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History Channel $100,000 Top Shot Competition

BUT - it was our first ever challenge/elimination and we all THOUGHT it was still going to be rifles (why wouldn't we??).

It may not hold true through the episodes, of course, but it seemed like a reasonable guess that they'd give you a challenge that had something to do with the guest expert that was on that episode....

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is curious about ratings, check this out:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/08/sunday-cable-ratings-nascar-pocono-mtv-movie-awards-army-wives-breaking-bad-much-more/53498

It seems Top Shot got more viewers than Jersey Shore, but less than Army Wives. I would say we still have a long way to go.

A lot has to with the network had it been on ABC,NBC or CBS it would have blown those others out of the water

I was turned off by the reality show format, I turned it off after the relay began I don't do reality tv at all

The Bullseye-L guys have been raging on it all day it seams that unless you put 16 national "bullseye" champs on the show it is irrelevant who wins

maybe that is why BE is the fastest dieing form of shooting out there

Where do you even find bullseye guys to discuss it with? Are there any left?

:sight:

I really liked the high speed video. My favorite showed the SVT40 firing, the case ejected, action closed, and then the target exploded.

Reality format aside, it's cool to have something a little more mainstream than Shooting USA to watch. You guys from the show are going to be celebrities just like Alex and Hugh from Ice Road truckers!!

Mike- you're a class act. I vote for bringing you back for season II!

Here are some pictures I got off the Hulu video:

Andre picks up the Springfield with the Front Sight Cover on:

Andre1.jpg

Andre shooting with the Front Sight Cover on:

Andre2.jpg

From Andre shooting:

Andre3.jpg

It was hard to find this in the video. Mike shooting with the Front Sight Cover on:

Mike1.jpg

The best I could find of Tara with the Front Sight Cover off. The only

shot of Iain's front sight is almost a duplicate of this as the video

pans back to the shooter:

Tara1.jpg

Andre and Mike were at a severe disadvantage with the Front Sight Cover blocking part of the

view of the targets.

Interesting observation. Though it's hard to be sure, what with editing, what stock footage is intercut with actual competition footage.

Edited by kevin c

I hate to say I told you all so...but I did tell ya'll so.

see post #47 back on page 2.

from reading the posts in this thread, the impression I am getting from other people's impressions...actually me and PEKelly both got it right....through creative editing the players in this game come off as being "schmuck-ish" .

Where do you even find bullseye guys to discuss it with? Are there any left?

:sight:

I really liked the high speed video. My favorite showed the SVT40 firing, the case ejected, action closed, and then the target exploded.

Reality format aside, it's cool to have something a little more mainstream than Shooting USA to watch. You guys from the show are going to be celebrities just like Alex and Hugh from Ice Road truckers!!

Mike- you're a class act. I vote for bringing you back for season II!

bullseye is how I got wet in the shooting sports

I still shoot it when I can as the winters here are rough and there is no IPSC in the winter

I got to get my gun off somewhere

:devil:

The question came up about whether the rifle the Red team shot in practice was the same as the rifle they shot in the match. Someone with more patience than I can probably watch HULU and see if the red team's '03 had the sight cover in practice or not. Looking at the screen shots above, it would appear the front sight is the original '03 sight w/ a battle sight zero of 547 yards. (The Marines used a taller front sight for a much more realistic zero. Don't know the distance, but guessing closer to 200 yards.)

The M1A the blue team shot in practice was the same rifle they shot in the competition. It had the Springfield factory comp, while the red team's M1A had a GI flash hider w/ bayonet lug.

A friend just sent me an e-mail about this show and he referred to Mike as... :goof: Misslander. :roflol:

Mike, you're still my reality TV hero :bow: but that is FUNNY.

Edited by Nemo

Wow, 310 posts and only one episode has aired. I'd call this a successful show already, at least among this "target" audience :P .

I found it entertaining. I was expecting a little more History Channel background on the weapons and tasks and less drama but I guess there's only so much they can show in a limited time.

The question came up about whether the rifle the Red team shot in practice was the same as the rifle they shot in the match.

Yes. The guns we shot in practice were always the guns we shot in the match unless there was a mechanical failure of one of the guns.

Guys, please don't think its us shooting a particular gun, unless you see us actually SHOOTING that gun. If you see us aiming and then just the front of the rifle firing, then they might have switched to stock footage of that muzzle blast with a high speed camera from some other day/other gun.

In practice (if you can call less than 10 rounds practice) they had two sets of rifles. One of each for the blue team, and one of each for the red team. Each rifle had a colored piece of tape on the stock to identify it.

On the blue team practice, we each shot two rifles before time ran out (call it roughly 5 rounds each). Back at the house that night we compared our notes, and both people had nearly the same results. We wrote this info down and brought it to the challenge. No rifle was properly zero'ed. We just got on paper at both 50 and 100 yards, and wrote the proper hold-over info onto our notes.

The greatest error was the mosin nagant, shooting about 11-12" high and a bit right at 100 yards. I think our Springfield was off maybe 6" vertical and 4" horizontal, give or take (did not check my notes, but I am sure the Mosin was off the most). I'd prefer more time and ammo to properly zero the weapons, but this is what we had to deal with as part of the "challenge".

Iain on Blue team and Mike for Red (BOTH very capable shooters) had trouble with their Springfields, which I think is a bit strange. Maybe a deliberate extra "stress/difficulty challenge" applied to both teams? We will never know. But neither rifle problem was insurmountable and we were expected to deal with what we were faced with as Top Shots and perservere.

Just don't go off on a wild goose chase based on snippets of images unless you are absolutely SURE they are correct for the exact moment and the shooter. Some shots were not shown. Some hits were edited for better footage. I know Chris' target at 50 did not explode when hit (so they called the shot a hit, and dubbed in an exploding scene) and I noticed Kelly's 600 yard target has a black background and his close-up exploding scene was with a white background.

The story and details are basically correct, but not rock solid gun-enthusiast micrometer degree of accurate.

Ya know?

Wow, 310 posts and only one episode has aired. I'd call this a successful show already, at least among this "target" audience :P .

I found it entertaining. I was expecting a little more History Channel background on the weapons and tasks and less drama but I guess there's only so much they can show in a limited time.

How many IPSC shooters are still on the show? Multiply that by the # of posts already and we'll have a monster thread here.

Yeah, I too was hoping for a little more "history" from the History Channel.

As to the "drama" it really is hard to get an objective sense of what's going on. It is "showbiz", afterall, with all the "artistic license" that entails.

First episode re-runs on History Channel at 7:00 PM Central Daylight Time.

Nemo, You just don't like Kelly cause you are Old, Fat and Bald. I like him cause I'm only Old and going bald. Haven't got the fat part yet. :roflol::cheers:

Edited by Bwana Six-Gun

Nemo, why don't you just kick the brother in the nuts??? blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

cheers.gif

I know man, C'mon, give the guy a break !! What if that was you on TV and the rifle really did have a problem ? Someone had to go first, it just so happens that it was one of our own, now let's move on !!! :yawn:

I liked the show alot, I will keep watching but I have a problem with this episode's title.

The Long Shot ?? I know there was a 600yd shot in the elimination but 100yds is no "Long Shot" :wacko: This episode should have been titled The Historic, Shot Out, $200, Piece of Crap Surplus Rifle Shot (M1A excluded). Then again maybe with those rifles it was a "Long Shot" ?? :roflol: I own several Surplus rifles, I know what I'm talking about !

In the next episode, I hope that Blake shows off "as much as possible" with his shooting tricks. We have to think of the general public that is seeing shooting like this for the first time. He's not some old cowboy guy talking about the stopping power of his 1911 from the hip. He's young, has plenty of swagger :lol: , and is at the top of our game. He makes pistol shooting "cool" and that atracts mainstream people and mainly young people to the "sport"..

If anyone happens to know when they will re-air episode one please post it here. thx

ps- I'm disappointed none of you were watching the Flyers game!

What's a Flyer?

:D

Hey everyone. Some interesting comments. First off, we should all be jumping up and down that a shooting show is on mainstream TV. My hat is off to the History Channel. As far as some of my thoughts, I posted some information on my site: http://www.shooting-performance.com/top_shot_show_98.html

Thanks for posting this link. I enjoyed reading your comments.

OK ... now I am second guessing my second guess. ha!

Watched the show again tonight (and not just because I am on it! ;) ) and there DOES appear to be a scene in the challenge where the camera pans from Blue Team Iain's muzzle to his hands, and there does not appear to be a front sight cover on his Springfield. And in the practice footage it looked like the Blue Team springfield did maybe have its front sight cover. But I am just not sure !! I never shot the '03.

So get the freeze frame TiVO's out and look some more at the Blue Team practice gun versus challenge gun. I am really curious now.

Not that it matters to the outcome, because the show is about challenging the shooters however the show producers decide to do it. But its just like the grassy knoll footage and you just keep wondering...

I can't figure out how Andre was able to hit the target at 50 yards with the POS broken rifle that Mike had to use.

Maybe Andre jerked the trigger just the right amount off target !! :goof:

No really, I'm not saying it was a total POS or it was'nt, I dont care. I just think we should leave that alone, let it be, and stop being Tuesday quarterbacks or whatever they call them ?

Now lets just say that POS was shooting like a 16 minute group, and for the sake of argument those were 8" plates ?? You know what I mean, was'nt there, did not shoot that rifle, we dont know. On the other hand, ever had a bad day at the range where you just could not hit anything, bombed a complete match, or stage that you knew you could easily win ? Once again, was'nt there, dont know. Let's just enjoy the show !!

Here are some pictures I got off the Hulu video:

Andre picks up the Springfield with the Front Sight Cover on:

Andre1.jpg

Andre shooting with the Front Sight Cover on:

Andre2.jpg

From Andre shooting:

Andre3.jpg

It was hard to find this in the video. Mike shooting with the Front Sight Cover on:

Mike1.jpg

WOW! Neat pictures. I had no idea about the front sight cover, and even worse, no knowledge of the read ladder sight.

The best I could find of Tara with the Front Sight Cover off. The only

shot of Iain's front sight is almost a duplicate of this as the video

pans back to the shooter:

Tara1.jpg

Andre and Mike were at a severe disadvantage with the Front Sight Cover blocking part of the

view of the targets.

It is great that you are being so cool about it all Mr. Seeklander.

I also appreciate the tone of this forum in regards to the show, the episode & the participants.

I was thinking about how benos is different than other forums where the posters do not seem so fair minded. You might be shooting against some of the people who are participants. In some sort of theoretical way, you would have to put your money where your mouth was here.

I am gratefull that it is coming off as well as it has & am hopefull for the future shows.

Here's to hoping the USPSA shooters tear it up. :cheers: