Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited optics strong early showing

RJH

On 8/5/2023 at 12:38 PM, ltdmstr said:

I have nothing against single stack.  Just doesn't make sense to do with current course design.  And that's now starting to be the case with stages favouring optics v. irons.  

This.  A recent level 1 had a 40 yard tuxedo.  I shot a match yesterday and was 1 of 2 iron sight shooters.  Before I even saw any stages, somebody said, "Oh you should have brought a dot gun today!"  

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Just figured since I'm one of the few who still shoots Limited major, I'd offer an explanation why.

I get it.  I love the 40 caliber cartridge, but unfortunately when I started shooting it seemed to be on its way out, so I could not see investing in it.  Also, as I mentioned before, I started shooting USPSA and such at 46 which was about 4 years ago.  My eyes were already on their way out, so I could not see making the effort in figuring out everything that goes into shooting Irons.  Th Dot made it very easy to at least look like I knew what I was doing out these much quicker than trying to figure out Irons.  I wish I would have started this sport when I was 25 or 30.   

My hats off to all of those that keep Limited alive.  It is one of the coolest Divisions going.  We have a local kid that just made GM in Limited and man it is amazing to watch him kill it.  We have a local Open shooter that just switch to Open from Limited due to eye sight, and it was equally  amazing him to watch him rock his Limited Gun.  Unfortunately, those two and maybe 1-2 more guys are the only ones that bring any heat in Limited in our section.    

Unfortunately, that Microwave society is obviously going to creep into USPSA as well.  Guilty as charged, as I cannot dump as much time into this hobby as I like.  I hope to change that soon.  Dots make things much easier and reloading 9mm is more economical than Major divisions.  I refuse to use age as an excuse or a crutch, but I will make do with the abilities I still have and still hope to make GM in one or two divisions before the decline really sets in. 

Edited by Boomstick303

On 8/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, Boomstick303 said:

On 8/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Just curious for those who play in both Major and Minor.  Are you a MAN when shooting 40 and or Open then become a PANSY when shooting 9mm?   Asking for a friend.  

a MAN when shooting ss 45, a guy with a ford ranger when shooting 40, a pcc shooter on a an e-scooter when shooting 9 minor. 😇

17 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Still waiting till they make PCC Major/Minor so I can shoot 40/45 in PCC (I understand this is never happening).  That sounds like a blast, and an excuse to have a PCC in 40/45.

I'm waiting for them to allow me to use my M1 Carbine ...

😇

The recent front sight has something on this but I didn’t get a chance to read it beyond a quick flip through. I’ll see if I can figure out what they’re trying to say. I think it echoes this thread though.  

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Damn, limited optics just got 45 slots at the iron sight Nationals!!

Not something I can make, but pretty cool that it's happening

29 minutes ago, TaterHead said:

Optics at iron sight nats? Huh?

Utterly insane. So a dot gun will win ironsights nationals.

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Utterly insane. So a dot gun will win ironsights nationals.

No, a dot gun cannot win iron sight Nationals, as there is no high overall division. What's insane is that iron sight Nationals with three or so divisions can't fill up all on its own and there's still room for the one true division to show up 🤣

1 minute ago, RJH said:

No, a dot gun cannot win iron sight Nationals, as there is no high overall division. What's insane is that iron sight Nationals with three or so divisions can't fill up all on its own and there's still room for the one true division to show up 🤣

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.  

That about sums it up.

Well, there's already 50 people signed up for limited optics Nationals. Which is more than in two of the Iron-sighted divisions. I bet before that match happens it surpasses at least one more division. Unless the match organizers cap limited optics at a certain number

Edited by RJH

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Screenshot_20230812-064003.thumb.png.c873802f5f37bde1b19c063bcfb81c0e.png

And just like that there were more LO shooters at iron sight Nationals than three of the iron sight divisions 🤣🤣

I thought only 45 slots were going to be allocated 

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

I thought only 45 slots were going to be allocated 

Me as well, but I guess counting is hard LOL

44 minutes ago, GJM said:

Does that mean shooters in other divisions switched to LO?

That's kind of what I'm thinking, but I have no idea

On 8/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I refuse to use age as an excuse or a crutch,

I use it as a reason to keep having fun and not beat myself up so much. I get where you are coming from, just saying it is easy to let the reality of being older screw up your fun. 

On 8/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Still waiting till they make PCC Major/Minor so I can shoot 40/45 in PCC (I understand this is never happening).  That sounds like a blast, and an excuse to have a PCC in 40/45.

I have been wishing this as well so I’d have a real use for my usc-ump convert sbr 

it makes sense to me to see lots of LO in an iron sights match. by putting all the iron sights divisions together, USPSA screwed up and ended up limiting the participation, since there is a huge crossover between limited and ss shooters. As someone who has shot numerous nationals in SS and limited, this one didn't appeal to me much, partly because the heat in SS will be severely watered down by people hiding in prod and limited.

If you scheduled open, LO and CO for the same match, it would make the numbers for those divisions look kinda skewed too, although obviously the match would still sell out.

I think the pivot to add provisional LO to iron sights nats, combined with a decent participation already (double the number of slots originally opened for LO) means that LO in its current provisional format is here to stay. Mentioned it before, but added to the fact that a lot of pros and gunbuilders are really investing into the 9mm 2011 format, I'd be hard pressed to see them switching gears and making the division major/minor scoring in the future