Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off the Shelf Open Guns

Iggy42

So is anyone doing "off the shelf" Open guns anymore.  When CK was around they where, but looks like no one is doing it since MPA acquired them.  The Tanfo/CZ open guns seem interesting, I would have to replace too much gear that I can't afford to do.  At least with 2011s I can run my MBX mags - sadly they are not compatible with BUL (no idea how available they are, just know they are out there)

Trying to see what options are out there without having to wait months to receive besides used

4 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I thought MPA was doing an open gun??  I'm FB friends with several of the old CKA shooters who are now with MPA.  One of them is promoting an open gun.

They are, and I am looking at one.  I'm just trying to see if there is anyone has something that is in stock and ready to ship like the CK ones used to be at Shooters Connection.  I think MPA is saying 12 weeks on their website.  While I am waiting for something to happen so I can place an order I figured I would dig around a bit since I haven't been paying attention to the Open world

50 minutes ago, Iggy42 said:

So is anyone doing "off the shelf" Open guns anymore.  When CK was around they where, but looks like no one is doing it since MPA acquired them.  The Tanfo/CZ open guns seem interesting, I would have to replace too much gear that I can't afford to do.  At least with 2011s I can run my MBX mags - sadly they are not compatible with BUL (no idea how available they are, just know they are out there)

Trying to see what options are out there without having to wait months to receive besides used

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Complete-Firearms/2011-Pistols/2011-9mm-Open-Gun

14 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

I would check out Brazos semi custom line, they are ready to ship and are top notch. 

agree on the 'top notch' part but mine ordered last summer took roughly 6 months.  still waiting to do my first match with it!

but it wouldn't hurt to call them, mpa, etc from time to time as surely they have cancels here and there.

59 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

I would check out Brazos semi custom line, they are ready to ship and are top notch. 

41 minutes ago, davsco said:

agree on the 'top notch' part but mine ordered last summer took roughly 6 months.  still waiting to do my first match with it!

but it wouldn't hurt to call them, mpa, etc from time to time as surely they have cancels here and there.

There is also a significant price difference that I have to take into account - MPA at 4500 is pretty much the top of my budget

35 minutes ago, Iggy42 said:

There is also a significant price difference that I have to take into account - MPA at 4500 is pretty much the top of my budget

Well that's your best bet for a new open gun.  My Brazos SC was 6400.  I think their base price was 5200.  

Edited by sandflea316

2 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Well that's your best bet for a new open gun.  My Brazos SC was 6400.  I think their base price was 5200.  

Looking that way from what I am able to find searching around, but I'm hoping the brain trust here has some other options I can look at

3 hours ago, Iggy42 said:

tell you what, carry optics is a pretty cool division as well, less than half the price if not a third or quarter, esp when you take into account mags.  and if you don't reload, ammo will be way cheaper also.  also easier on the ears.  but yeah, open is pretty cool/fun.

Based on his first post, the mags and holsters are already covered so basically a gun and ammo would be all his needs.  I also have aCO guns and if LO happens I have that too.  Once you go optics it's hard to go back.

If OP is not adversed to buying used, watch the sell ads.  I picked up a used open gun for cheaper than the MPA gun.

If you don't mind a short wait maybe Defions Arms.  Its similarly priced as the MPA

You can try keeping an eye on Atlas' site. Think they just make them in batches and toss them up on the site when they're available.

but youre going to have a hard time finding a quality, low cost, brand new gun, with no wait time. Lol

19 hours ago, riden said:

Anyone shooting a BUL Armory open blaster?

I’ve heard good things - I bypassed them since I can’t use the 140mm MBXs I already have.  Bul is their own pattern and while MBX makes some in that pattern, it meant everything I had was null and void

On 2/8/2023 at 6:34 PM, riden said:

Anyone shooting a BUL Armory open blaster?

I shoot a Bullesteros as my match open gun and a UR-F as my backup.  The Bullesteros has been rock solid.  Both are the steel grips.  I recently heard BUL is only offering polymer grips in their open guns moving forward in 2023.  That’s disappointing.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, sauza45 said:

they are not ready to ship. we ordered in oct-nov and are expecting the gun next month. They do have a great reputation however, and the guns appear to be an excellent value as long as the specs are what you want (for us it's almost exactly what we needed), and bob is very knowledgeable and helpful. We are excited to get the gun.