Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics

Rich406

29 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

After reading all these post and several other related post, I've come to the conclusion, There will never be a perfect division.

Not without a complete restructuring of how we define divisions. LO has demonstrated big holes in the way we separate them out currently

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, GigG said:

Because the Division is called ....Optics.

It's also called "Limited" and that's obviously a crock.

I don't buy the "because iron shooters will mess up the stats".  #1- who cares and #2, if they want to shoot it with uncompetitive equipment, then let them.  Would they be doing fun wrong or some equally heinous crime?

2 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

After reading all these post and several other related post, I've come to the conclusion, There will never be a perfect division.

Exactly, insert Serenity Prayer. LOL

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

As suggested previously: Optics Minor/Optics Major and Irons Minor/Irons Major would cover 99%.

8 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

As suggested previously: Optics Minor/Optics Major and Irons Minor/Irons Major would cover 99%.

No, that would just kill Production, Revolver, and Single Stack the rest of the way.

Which is the entire reason why the recent rule changes should never have been allowed.  Reloading and power are no longer useful practical shooting skills.  We're all just gamers now.

5 hours ago, shred said:

Why did they double down on the dumb, obsolete 'must have a dot' rule?

I don't get it either. The most shocking part of survey results to me was that most people actually voted for optics being required ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It kind of makes sense for provisional division, to get better idea on participation numbers, but makes zero sense that it's still a rule in CO. 

4 hours ago, Dazhi said:

Create a 9mm iron division based on production ruleset plus 140mm mags, SAO and magwells, and watch it become the most popular division in 3 years.   

I think if they created a Limited  Minor division before adding CO it would've easily become the most popular division. Now that so many have already switched to optics thanks to high cap CO, I don't know that Limited  Minor could overtake it, but it would easily become #2 most popular division. 

2 hours ago, shred said:

It's also called "Limited" and that's obviously a crock.

I don't buy the "because iron shooters will mess up the stats".  #1- who cares and #2, if they want to shoot it with uncompetitive equipment, then let them.  Would they be doing fun wrong or some equally heinous crime?

I wasn't gonna say nothing but I never quite understood the term "limited optics" , limited to what? By who? I understand open class, anything goes. if you can drag it to the line, you can shoot it. Carry optics is also pretty self explanatory, A gun that you would actually put an optic on carry concealed around with you everyday. Production I don't know!!  Because today production gun Generally Come with 15 round magazines. Just thinking out loud.

And shred your in serious trouble, Using the word  "fun" To describe Shooting.

Has been discussed in multiple threads before, but as far as a wishlist in terms of streamlining divisions but also keeping it sort of in bounds of what we already have:

• Limited 10: allow optional slide ride optics, 10 round minor, 8 round major. Kill single stack, revo. Essentially a catch all compliance division that lets everything besides open guns play in mag ban states. Current locap has such minimal participation it makes sense to roll it all together anyways. I shot SS as my main division for 2.5 years, but even I realize its not worth keeping the legacy divisions
  • Production: Try to more closely match IPSC, 15 rounds and 3lb trigger pull limits, must fit in box (and make it so most slide stop thumb rests don't fit). 38oz weight limit
  • Carry Optics: Production rules, but with optic. Must fit in production box that has a cutout for optic. 40oz weight limit to accommodate for optic
  • Limited: as is
  • Limited Optics: As proposed in the provisional division
  • Open: as is
  • PCC: as is

This makes it relatively clean, where we can hold Open/PCC nats, Limited/LO nats, and Production/CO nats. Each are distinct games in terms of stage planning and risk/reward, given 170mm+ mags vs 140mm vs 15 rounders. Limited vs LO would be interesting given major PF advantage vs. dot advantage, and you can design stages with more difficult shots where each has advantages. Sort of like Open vs PCC as it currently stands

Production and CO would then be good places for new shooters to grab their relatively stock glocks and p320s to be relatively competitive (equipment wise), while having the reduced learning curve of 15 rounds vs. 10 currently in production. 

Edited by whan

56 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I wasn't gonna say nothing but I never quite understood the term "limited optics" , limited to what? By who? I understand open class, anything goes. if you can drag it to the line, you can shoot it. Carry optics is also pretty self explanatory, A gun that you would actually put an optic on carry concealed around with you everyday. Production I don't know!!  Because today production gun Generally Come with 15 round magazines. Just thinking out loud.

I've never understood getting worked up over the names of divisions. It's just 1-2 words used to refer to a specific equipment ruleset. Doesn't have to perfectly describe every gun that's allowed within that ruleset. Maybe we should just rename all divisions "Division 1", "Division 2", etc. Then people can't complain about name not matching the guns.

Not all names perfectly describe the thing they're named for. Why do you drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway? You don't hear anyone demanding we rename these things 😋

(And not calling you out specifically on this. I see similar comments all the time and just don't get it)

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

Maybe we should just rename all divisions "Division 1", "Division 2", etc. Then people can't complain about name not matching the guns.

You know what's funny, back in 82 that's about all we had division 1  a 1911 Open had a Had a compensator and maybe adjustable sites and 9 round mag... Then we had division 2 1911 no compensator maybe adjustable sites a 7/8 round mag....lol... Maybe some crazy man shooting a revolver..... lol... And everybody was happy. Well almost everybody you can't make everybody happy.

14 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

You know what's funny, back in 82 that's about all we had division 1  a 1911 Open had a Had a compensator and maybe adjustable sites and 9 round mag... Then we had division 2 1911 no compensator maybe adjustable sites a 7/8 round mag....lol... Maybe some crazy man shooting a revolver..... lol... And everybody was happy. Well almost everybody you can't make everybody happy.

1982…

no internet

10 channels of cable (if you were lucky)

landline , no cell phones

gas was under a buck.

nostalgia is great, but times have changed, drastically. 

7 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Yeah, and not for the better. Maybe the board should go back and rethink things

Live in the past if you want..

Edited by Rich406

7 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

There’s not a single thing from the 70s or 80s that I’d want to relive. 

Maybe your life sucks, but I had a great time in the 70s and 80s and I wouldn't mind reliving the fun again. Things made sense, common sense reigned supreme. But this is starting to get to personal and we should stop before we get the thread lock.

Edited by usmc1974

9 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Enough bickering.

I'm thinking hi-cap prod / L-minor. Or maybe we start talking about IDPA's lead and allowing comps in everything but Prod.

One thing I'm sure of is when this is done we'll continue to talk about equipment rule changes more than anything else.