Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springfield double-stack ?

IowaNewbie

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/17/2022 at 1:28 PM, attakmint said:

It's also coming from another magazine manufacturer, so... Who knows?

Does this mean Check-Mate is coming out with cheap 2011 mags?

Cheap? Not particularly. Checkmate has them listed (out-of-stock currently) on their website for $65. Don't know if MSRP and gun store price will be close or not. 

The Duramags are popping up online for around $40. This seems like a good deal. But then if the springs need replacing and feed lips need adjusting it is probably easier just to buy Staccato mags. 

Just picked up a 5'' last week and did some function fire after a match on Sunday. The gun ate up 121 MG JHPs, and 135 Black Bullet RNs, which were all minor PF. Even tried out some 124 MG JHP major loads. After hearing all the issues with the included mags, I decided to just leave those at home and ran MBX mags without any issues. 

When I picked up the gun from my FFL last week, I noticed it was dry as as hell and could feel the slide hanging up in the last 1/4 inch before going into battery. Took it home, cleaned it per my normal routine lubed it like I would my open guns. 

A fellow shooter brought a 5” to the range today during a USPSA match. After the match he allowed me to run a stage with it. Gun felt good in my hand and of course little recoil. Reset of the trigger was nice although it could of used a trigger job. 

He did inform me that he had to return the guns (He purchased a 5” and 4”) to Springfield because the front sight fell off both guns within the 1st 100 rds on both guns. 

He also mentioned the guns would not go into battery. He filed down the feed ramps a bit on the mags. After that he said he’s had no issues with both guns. 

I think once Springfield gets those issues fixed I may find one in my safe. 

I shot my nephews 4.25" the other day and actually liked it. The shop where he got it had the mags for $40 but I told him to get Staccato mags after seeing all the reviews with feeding issues. Sure enough after a hundred rounds or so it started failing to feed on every round with the factory mags but ran fine with the Staccato's.

I went and grabbed one of each but haven't shot them yet. I'm torn between fixing them first or shooting them as they are. I did have to fix a couple things, the thumb safety was really bad on the 4.25 and finally locked up the gun. I refitted it and it's decent now. the 5" had a 4-1/4lb trigger and the 4-1/4 had a 6-1/2lb, I tuned them down to 3.5lb and touched up the sear spring so there's no disconnector drag. One has a decent trigger and one not so much. I have replacement internals already as I know better than try to do a trigger job on MIM parts.

When we were shooting his I made fun of him for having black crap all over his face until he said I did too. At first I thought it was the loaded chamber notch in the barrel but after cleaning mine where I found the firing pin and extractor channels had a ton of black crud in them, probably overspray from the finish, I figured that's what it was.

Spend the extra dollars and upgrade to a Staccato, don't get me wrong, great entry price but for the amount of work you need to do to get it "ready" would be the same outcome. They do offer a lot of bang for the buck as is though!

5 minutes ago, mule169 said:

Spend the extra dollars and upgrade to a Staccato, don't get me wrong, great entry price but for the amount of work you need to do to get it "ready" would be the same outcome. They do offer a lot of bang for the buck as is though!

It’s actually cheaper to do the Springfield. 

On 9/25/2022 at 7:27 PM, Rjracing said:

Does anyone know if a drop in trigger kit from other SA 9mm 1911s will fit in this?

Not sure about other sa 9mms but I was able to drop in an svi trigger, egw internals (minus the mainspring, light primer strikes on occasion) and a wolf firing pin spring. Runs reliably.

If you change extractors the screw for the optic protrudes. You may have to file down the top of the extractor to fit. 

Edit: the factory internals after 5 minutes with an Ed brown sear jig feel exactly the same as the egw internals. Smooth trigger pull and 3.5lb break

20220919_180539_copy_1200x1600.jpg

Edited by 07yzryder

• 2 weeks later...

I got to play waith a couple of the mags in my CGW griped STI steel challenge gun.

Both the 140 & 170 were flawless.  The gun runs MBX and Staccato mags just fine and these 2 were the same.

Basepads come off easy and the TTI pads go on fine - didn't play with any followers/springs. Mostly becasue they worked out of the package so why ?

I have both of them, they both had mostly FTF's with their mags. The first time out I lubed them with Wilson oil.

The second time I lubed them with Wilson lite oil and smoothed the feed lips on the mags. The 4.25 worked fine but not the 5, even with STI mags, with those mags they would feed but occasionally not fully go into battery but with the factory mags the 5 still failed to feed.

I tried an 11# spring in the 5 and it fed 100% but would not lock back on empty and the brass was falling at my feet.

Next time I'll try lighter oil and maybe a 10# spring but I think that spring will even be too much. 

I picked up a 26 rounder to use with my Cheely frame/cheely gripped open gun, worked great out of the box. I just received TTI 3mm basepads, spring and ultra thin follower and they get to 29 rounds no problem, I do need to check if it still makes the magazine gauge though.

• 6 months later...