Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springfield double-stack ?

IowaNewbie

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4.25 had the front sight come lose and swing side to side within the first 50 rounds all 115g 9mm range ammo. With 9mm +p sight fully came out. Springfield quoted 2 to 4 weeks for it to be reviewed and fixed, I own 2 staccatos a p and xl in 40.  The Springfield is closer in quality to my 3 rock island double stacks than the staccato, in my opinion.  I planned to carry it and test in NJ with it, once it's fixed I'm selling it and will get the c2 for carry.

3 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Here's an interesting look at the Prodigy from a custom builder's perspective. 

Not sure how popular Mr. Chambers is with the USPSA crowd. Maybe many on these forums would be more interested in hearing from Brazos, etc. 

In any case:

and

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiUL5ORo-OM/?hl=en

If you have seen his 1911 University review of the gun, the failure to feed issues are far from unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI__QqBPow8&t=1272s

Edited by caspian guy

4 hours ago, caspian guy said:

If you have seen his 1911 University review of the gun, the failure to feed issues are far from unexpected.

I watched a video he did on Instagram. Covers much of the same info. 

I'm quite curious about the mags and their consistency. If and when these get to a price of about $35 they may be a good value. But then only if a person doesn't have to immediately toss the spring and follower. 

1 hour ago, Tokarev said:

I watched a video he did on Instagram. Covers much of the same info. 

I'm quite curious about the mags and their consistency. If and when these get to a price of about $35 they may be a good value. But then only if a person doesn't have to immediately toss the spring and follower. 

Yep the mags would be a solid value indeed at that price.

Honestly if I wanted one of those that review wouldn't bother me as all the stuff he described I can fix myself (but that likely wouldn't be the case for most shooters.)

Agreed

with most stock 1911’s I would replace the extractor and trigger group anyway

if they come out with a threaded barrel version and if someone made a effective comp for it,

that could be a very “cheap” entry level open gun

4 hours ago, rishii said:

Agreed

with most stock 1911’s I would replace the extractor and trigger group anyway

if they come out with a threaded barrel version and if someone made a effective comp for it,

that could be a very “cheap” entry level open gun

For such a price you want too much.😀 At this price some people got a double  F... instead of a double stack😉

According to the issues posted on this gun it should go through the hands of a good gunsmith. Because these problems are negligible and any good gunsmith can solve them.

Edited by yigal

only way we get better guns is to make QC cheaper than warranty work. Taking a new gun to a gunsmith to get it to work is enabling bad QC.
I mean I never understood why its tolerated so much in the gun world.
If I bought a $30 toaster that didnt work when I got it home that thing would be returned asap, not taken to an electronic shop. 
Said the same thing when I bought my STI retirement present to myself. No I am not paying for a 3rd party reliability package on a $2000 gun...  If it aint reliable it will go back to STI.  Gun was great BTW...
Same with my 686 with the butchered crown.  Sent it back... Sure I coulda bought the cutter fixed it myself,,, but Nope,, Homie dont play that.  I bought a gun, not a kit.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

only way we get better guns is to make QC cheaper than warranty work. Taking a new gun to a gunsmith to get it to work is enabling bad QC.
I mean I never understood why its tolerated so much in the gun world.
If I bought a $30 toaster that didnt work when I got it home that thing would be returned asap, not taken to an electronic shop. 
Said the same thing when I bought my STI retirement present to myself. No I am not paying for a 3rd party reliability package on a $2000 gun...  If it aint reliable it will go back to STI.  Gun was great BTW...
Same with my 686 with the butchered crown.  Sent it back... Sure I coulda bought the cutter fixed it myself,,, but Nope,, Homie dont play that.  I bought a gun, not a kit.

I also think so. Even if you buy a product worth $1 it has to work otherwise it is an unfinished product. And unfinished products their price should be like the price of raw material.

4 minutes ago, yigal said:

I also think so. Even if you buy a product worth $1 it has to work otherwise it is an unfinished product. And unfinished products their price should be like the price of raw material.

and in this case it is,

raw unfit parts to build a quality 19/2011 run about $2k

6 hours ago, shred said:

The Prodigy I shot (a 5") grouped around 6" at 25 yards.. when it worked.

Wow, I would not have expected such poor accuracy. I asked because most of the YouTube reviewers seemed to concentrate on the malfunction/failure to feed aspect of the gun. I didn’t see much of any qualitative accuracy testing, but I may have missed it,

I have the 5 inch version with several hundred rounds with several types of ammo through it. No problems. (Only issue that I had is with my ammo and it is because of a bulged case. This barrel/chamber does seem a little tight with less tolerance than some other guns. My Atlas was the same way.) It is funny when people ask about accuracy as that is so subjective. The gun is way more accurate than 6 inches at 25 yards.  To me, this gun seems to shoot softer than any gun I have ever owned. This is including several of the more expensive CZ's and a couple of Atlas pistols.  Grip is very nice for a stock grip. The trigger is too heavy in my opinion and I plan on changing that. Otherwise, I am happy and pleasantly surprised with the gun. Including two pictures. The one with the larger group was 10 yards and pulling the trigger pretty fast. The one with the tighter group was from 5 yards and the first shots with my reolads. This was pulling the trigger and immediately when the gun was "settled" pulling the trigger again. It was def under 4 seconds for those 5.

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

Edited by BLUEPSTU

15 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I have one with several hundred rounds with several types of ammo through it. No problems. (Only issue that I had is with my ammo and it is because of a bulged case. This barrel/chamber does seem a little tight with less tolerance than some other guns. My Atlas was the same way.) It is funny when people ask about accuracy as that is so subjective. The gun is way more accurate than 6 inches at 25 yards.  To me, this gun seems to shoot softer than any gun I have ever owned. This is including several of the more expensive CZ's and a couple of Atlas pistols.  Grip is very nice for a stock grip. The trigger is too heavy in my opinion and I plan on changing that. Otherwise, I am happy and pleasantly surprised with the gun. Including two pictures. The one with the larger group was 10 yards and pulling the trigger pretty fast. The one with the tighter group was from 5 yards and the first shots with my reolads. This was pulling the trigger and immediately when the gun was "settled" pulling the trigger again. It was def under 4 seconds for those 5.

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

Was this the 5”. Or 4.25? 

On 9/13/2022 at 5:03 AM, Tokarev said:

Here's an interesting look at the Prodigy from a custom builder's perspective. 

Not sure how popular Mr. Chambers is with the USPSA crowd. Maybe many on these forums would be more interested in hearing from Brazos, etc. 

In any case:

and

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiUL5ORo-OM/?hl=en

Interesting demo of the gun having mostly mag, extractor, or recoil spring issues. Probably 30 minutes of tinkering with mag lips, adjusting extractor, might eliminate most of those symptoms. Maybe a 1 pound stronger recoil spring til broken in. I'm betting on the mags causing most of those issues.... remember when people had to actually tune their STI and SV mags to get them reliable? Instead of paying $150 for premade tuned ones made one at a time out of unobtanium, blessed by the gods?

But I have not handled one of these Prodigys yet....  but interested, and for under $1500 might get more people in the sport who can't afford or justify spending 3K - 5K on a similar custom gun.

In my experience - my best running 2011 STI ever had 50 or 60k rounds on it when I bought it used (abused) for $1200. I just replaced the springs, and sear/hammer, tuned the mags, and extractor .....  put another 40k on it with original Schuemann barrel before I sold it for more than I paid for it.

And you don't want to see how ugly my my 30 year old SV .40 is put together, and sloppily fit - but it works. But I have had to work on it occasionally to keep it that way. 

I'd be curious to see some reliability tests on one of these Prodigys done with "known good" and tuned mags...... 

Do they Prodigy tubes come with spacers or shorter followers, for 9mm? If they are not like the newer SV or Staccato mags made for 9mm, and are like older STI 1.20 OAL or longer Super length mags - that's probably 90% of the feed issues right there, with factory short 9mm.

17 minutes ago, sfinney said:

Interesting demo of the gun having mostly mag, extractor, or recoil spring issues. Probably 30 minutes of tinkering with mag lips, adjusting extractor, might eliminate most of those symptoms. Maybe a 1 pound stronger recoil spring til broken in. I'm betting on the mags causing most of those issues.... remember when people had to actually tune their STI and SV mags to get them reliable? Instead of paying $150 for premade tuned ones made one at a time out of unobtanium, blessed by the gods?

But I have not handled one of these Prodigys yet....  but interested, and for under $1500 might get more people in the sport who can't afford or justify spending 3K - 5K on a similar custom gun.

In my experience - my best running 2011 STI ever had 50 or 60k rounds on it when I bought it used (abused) for $1200. I just replaced the springs, and sear/hammer, tuned the mags, and extractor .....  put another 40k on it with original Schuemann barrel before I sold it for more than I paid for it.

And you don't want to see how ugly my my 30 year old SV .40 is put together, and sloppily fit - but it works. But I have had to work on it occasionally to keep it that way. 

I'd be curious to see some reliability tests on one of these Prodigys done with "known good" and tuned mags...... 

Do they Prodigy tubes come with spacers or shorter followers, for 9mm? If they are not like the newer SV or Staccato mags made for 9mm, and are like older STI 1.20 OAL or longer Super length mags - that's probably 90% of the feed issues right there, with factory short 9mm.

I just have not experienced what others have. But I did think that it could use a tad heavier spring. Didn't know why people were thinking of jumping from a 9lb straight to a 12lb rather than a 10. However, I always try to make it a practice of breaking in a gun with a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo before trying reloads.

7 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Wow, I would not have expected such poor accuracy. I asked because most of the YouTube reviewers seemed to concentrate on the malfunction/failure to feed aspect of the gun. I didn’t see much of any qualitative accuracy testing, but I may have missed it,

I just watched a YouTube video from “x-ring;” seemed like accuracy was good. Viewed the Chambers video; he seemed to indicate it had the makings of an accurate shooter. If the barrel is good, perhaps the lock-up needs to be tightened. I guess like most things, you take your chances. I do admire Springfield’s goal of producing a lower cost STI clone. Maybe it will create a trend.