Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springfield double-stack ?

IowaNewbie

2 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

People think they can buy skill with gear. Most would rather complain and make excuses about divisions than put time into improving with dry live fire practice. 

Back on topic, this is an interesting move when Limited is dying and 3 Gun is no where near where it was. I'm curious what the target market is. 

Timmies.  The introduction clip on Youtube had TGO, and then two tactical influencer types.

The capacity of the mags concern me.  Round counts are 17, 20, and 26 (presumably a 120/126mm, 140mm, and 170mm)?  Plus I haven't seen how the basepads for the 20/26 rounders are attached.  I'd be more interested if I could get the mag tube and maybe the basepad and try out all the random followers/springs I have lying around to try to get to a good capacity.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, attakmint said:

Timmies.  The introduction clip on Youtube had TGO, and then two tactical influencer types.

The capacity of the mags concern me.  Round counts are 17, 20, and 26 (presumably a 120/126mm, 140mm, and 170mm)?  Plus I haven't seen how the basepads for the 20/26 rounders are attached.  I'd be more interested if I could get the mag tube and maybe the basepad and try out all the random followers/springs I have lying around to try to get to a good capacity.

Stacatto 126s are 17 rounds according to at least one website, so I would think capacity with matching springs/followers would be about the same

Well, I got off work early today so I swung by the LGS.

I brought my Honcho (so PT Evo grip/catch with a Dawson Ice magwell) to check out compatibility, as well as a mag gauge I designed and 3d printed.  The 20 rounders look like true 140mm mags and easily cleared my 141.25mm gauge.  However, the basepad is a non-toolless design - the typical locking tab with a hole.  It doesn't look like there's a lot of room between the rails at the bottom of the tube and the bottom of the mag gauge, so maybe something like the 3mm Taran basepads would work.  The tubes are ambi.  The 20 rounder stuck in my Honcho and didn't want to release cleanly.  Not my magazine, so I just tried it a few times and gave it back.

I took a quick look at the 5" gun.  It's about what you would expect if someone told you Springfield built a 2011.  Nothing obvious in fit and finish, but I didn't take it down and detail inspect it.  Using my calibrated trigger finger pull gauge, I'd guess it was maybe a 6-7# trigger, crisp enough after takeup.  So not fantastic, not terrible, about as expected.

I'm not going to rule out getting a 140mm magazine to play with, but my confidence in it isn't that high.  Still, for half the price of an Atlas or MBX, I'm willing to experiment a bit.

I bought the 5'' model yesterday. It was a single shot pistol. I wouldn't chamber. Then it was FTF, FTE and stuck in battery. Store gunsmith took it apart and greased it up. Shot it again. It shot 5 rounds then started having the same problems again. I tried the mags it came with and a gen 2 STI 140mm mag. I also tried several types of ammo. 115 to 150 gr. The store is sending it back to Springfield. I knew it would not be like a Staccato but I did expect to run out of the box. Im out almost $1700. Ill follow up when I get it back. 

18 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

You do not need more Divisions.  Divisions could be cut down, and just include more guns.  

You mean like Open, Limited and Revolver.  I wonder if any organization ever did that?

49 minutes ago, johnwick said:

I bought the 5'' model yesterday. It was a single shot pistol. I wouldn't chamber. Then it was FTF, FTE and stuck in battery. Store gunsmith took it apart and greased it up. Shot it again. It shot 5 rounds then started having the same problems again. I tried the mags it came with and a gen 2 STI 140mm mag. I also tried several types of ammo. 115 to 150 gr. The store is sending it back to Springfield. I knew it would not be like a Staccato but I did expect to run out of the box. Im out almost $1700. Ill follow up when I get it back. 

Did the gunsmith have any ideas besides just lube it? Or was it more just it's new so just send it back instead of messing with it. 

Stuck in battery sounds like short chamber or long ammo, that could could cause the fails to chamber and fails to feed too. 

I'd prefer a new gun that just works, but for the savings if I can just run my reamer through the chamber and maybe tweak the extractor to get it running I wouldn't care as long as I know going in it's a possibility. 

5 hours ago, johnwick said:

thats why I do not like beta testing guns lol .

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Did the gunsmith have any ideas besides just lube it? Or was it more just it's new so just send it back instead of messing with it. 

Stuck in battery sounds like short chamber or long ammo, that could could cause the fails to chamber and fails to feed too. 

I'd prefer a new gun that just works, but for the savings if I can just run my reamer through the chamber and maybe tweak the extractor to get it running I wouldn't care as long as I know going in it's a possibility. 

Gunsmith said it just needed a break-in. I said that was horse hockey. I think it was a few problems. It all was above my skill set. I just shoot. It's Springfield's problem now. 

47 minutes ago, johnwick said:

Gunsmith said it just needed a break-in. I said that was horse hockey. I think it was a few problems. It all was above my skill set. I just shoot. It's Springfield's problem now. 

Yeah that sounds like horse hockey to me. At least I think it does, I don't really know what horse hockey is. 

Maybe it'll feed better, but a round getting stuck in the chamber certainly isn't a break in thing and unless it was a ammo problem needs to be addressed. 

1 minute ago, Jim Watson said:

Sad story.

I inserted a STI Gen 2 magazine in the local store's first gun and racked a dummy round through.  It fit and fed.  The supplied magazine made for them by a company I have never heard of looked kind of cheap.  

One thing seems true with 2011's is good mags are a must. If they are coming with s#!tty mags there may be lots of issues. 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, attakmint said:

If it is any good, after market options will follow soon.

12 hours ago, johnwick said:

Decent YT review after 300 rounds found the same issues with 3-4 different rounds (115 - 147)and different mags.  Trigger on that particular sample was 5 lbs. and not quite 1911 quality.  This was a purchased gun, not provided by SA.  I've got 800+ rounds through my Staccato C2 without issue; sample of one of course but YT reviews seem to support excellent out of the box performance.  I did lower the trigger to 3.75 lbs. which is fine IMO for AIWB.

Edited by RickT

On 8/29/2022 at 3:59 PM, terrydoc said:

About time, they did a .45 double stack about 20 years a go wasn't a bad pistol. 

Still have one, was my first USPSA limited gun. Your correct in it's time it was really not a bad gun, and the price point helped start the addiction.

Lots of speculation on spring rates and slide travel between the 5.0 and the 4.25 formats.  It sounds like the 5.0 guns are having more reliability problems than the 4.25.  But that may be just a law of averages thing.

Anyway, here's a decent review:

Guy I know, who knows 1911s inside and out from a heavy bullseye shooting background and is a USMCR shooting team member.

His comment re MIM parts: like everything else in manufacturing,  there are people who know how to make MIM parts, people who think they know, and people who know and will give you (the OEM) what you pay for.  In my experience, as contrast, S&W MIM revolver lockwork is super smooth.