Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springfield double-stack ?

IowaNewbie

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

How are Prodigy fire control parts different from regular 1911/2011 parts?

They aren't.  I installed all the standard EGW parts in mine and they work fine.  Only difference I recall is the mainspring, which was shorter.  But I changed out the ms housing and am using a standard Wolff spring.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

They aren't.  I installed all the standard EGW parts in mine and they work fine.  Only difference I recall is the mainspring, which was shorter.  But I changed out the ms housing and am using a standard Wolff spring.

Mainspring is the same. EGW’s Evolved leaf spring is to long, so a standard leaf spring works.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:55 AM, OPENB said:

There are a few things: 

I have a whole description in the prodigy shirt term review thread.  

- The trigger bow is different.  So you will have issues swapping them in/out with other stuff.  

Best two options: 

- leave the internals alone and just tweak the sear spring a bit if you want a lighter pull. 
- if your gonna tinker swap out the grip module and internals for something a bit more standardized and basically un-Prodigy it.  

Shot my prodigy in a USPSA match for the first time over the weekend. The massive advantage of a 2011 was not enough to get me a win. Of course after talking to Matt about his new CO gun, it's heavier with a better trigger and one more round in the mag. But, hey I have a magwell. 

Capture.PNG

On 4/20/2023 at 10:55 AM, OPENB said:

I did my Prodigy this weekend.  EGW internals worked great, but the trigger bow (as mentioned by others) is different.  I got it to an acceptable level with the OEM trigger, but I am exploring a Red Dirt trigger, just so I can take out some vertical slop.

The hardest thing so far has been adding a magwell.  I had to modify the heck out of the grip (particularly in the front lip area to get the Dawson ICE to fit.  I had read on some forum that it was a simple matter of removing the small ridges on the side of the Prodigy grip module, but that was NOT the case.  😞  And when blending the grip to the ICE, one had better stop short of a full-blend.  The polymer at the bottom of the grip gets REAL thin once you start getting close to "blended".  I saw that this was going to be an issue, so I just chamfered edges and didn't go for the full job.

FWIW:

Just finished talking to a Friend/Owner of Deep River Customs, and he confirmed that DRC does indeed have the Red Dirt Trigger specifically for the Prodigy.  It is included in their fully prepped upgrade kit.  RD has only made them in the initial run in Black.  More colors coming if sales warrant:

https://deeprivercustoms.com/product/trigger-kit/

He also said if someone wanted just the Red Dirt Trigger, to call him personally for trigger only purchases:

Hugh Sherron

813-524-6345 (ET)

Tell him Ben recommended you call! 

Seriously, he's a super guy to talk to!

;)

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

3 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

The hardest thing so far has been adding a magwell.  I had to modify the heck out of the grip (particularly in the front lip area to get the Dawson ICE to fit.  I had read on some forum that it was a simple matter of removing the small ridges on the side of the Prodigy grip module, but that was NOT the case.  😞  And when blending the grip to the ICE, one had better stop short of a full-blend.  The polymer at the bottom of the grip gets REAL thin once you start getting close to "blended".  I saw that this was going to be an issue, so I just chamfered edges and didn't go for the full job.

Yeah, shaving the ridges will get a factory STI magwell to fit, but not the Dawson ICE  :(   

4 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

IThe hardest thing so far has been adding a magwell.  I had to modify the heck out of the grip (particularly in the front lip area to get the Dawson ICE to fit.  I had read on some forum that it was a simple matter of removing the small ridges on the side of the Prodigy grip module, but that was NOT the case.  😞  And when blending the grip to the ICE, one had better stop short of a full-blend.  The polymer at the bottom of the grip gets REAL thin once you start getting close to "blended".  I saw that this was going to be an issue, so I just chamfered edges and didn't go for the full job.

49 minutes ago, shred said:

Yeah, shaving the ridges will get a factory STI magwell to fit, but not the Dawson ICE  :(   

I run the EGW magwell for the Prodigy on mine.  Had to sand the tops/corners of the promags a bit but otherwise it's just fine.

s5wu2qdp3voa1.thumb.jpeg.7cbc662eb399b43a30126d9bb2ffb791.jpeg

10 hours ago, costeel said:

For those of you who used the EGW ignition kit, how much fitting did it require? 

How about the safety?

Mine was a drop-in, literally.  Thumb safety worked perfectly.  Of course, YMMV, especially with Springfields...

I have the Brazos Custom Pro ignition kit with EGW ballhead disco. Sear and hammer dropped right in. I had to fit the safety, which took like 5 minutes tops and I elected to reprofile and polish the disco to make it even smoother.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I missed another thread or the comments in this one, but is the jury out on the Duramag?  Looking to acquire more mags for my older STI steel gun.  I know buy and cry once but hey if they work, why not.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Reinholt said:

Sorry if I missed another thread or the comments in this one, but is the jury out on the Duramag?  Looking to acquire more mags for my older STI steel gun.  I know buy and cry once but hey if they work, why not.  Thoughts?

I don't have long-term experience with them (less than a year), but I've had no failures at all running them in matches.  They do hold 2-3 fewer rounds compared to same size mags from other vendors and they're all lock-back-on-empty.

I just bought three Atlas mags from someone on here because of that - 2-3 rounds + no lockback is my preference.

14 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Once you add a decent base pad and spring kit, you’re nearly at Atlas or Staccato prices. 

I haven't found a need to replace either.  What made you need to change?

4 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

I haven't found a need to replace either.  What made you need to change?

Capacity. With a Grams kit and Dawson extension, I get 23. I think that’s what an Atlas gets. 

I was talking about the Prodigy/Duramag. 

Edited by OPENB

4 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Capacity. With a Grams kit and Dawson extension, I get 23. I think that’s what an Atlas gets. 

I was talking about the Prodigy/Duramag. 

Understood.  I wasn't aware anyone had kits for the duramag, or that others worked.  That's a good datapoint.

As far as the Duramags themselves, I've had no issues whatsoever with performance or function.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, mreed911 said:

Understood.  I wasn't aware anyone had kits for the duramag, or that others worked.  That's a good datapoint.

As far as the Duramags themselves, I've had no issues whatsoever with performance or function.

My Prodigy/Duramag that came with my gun worked out of the box as well. I could tell the feed lips had been deburred, as the coating was gone and bare metal was exposed. The lips were in spec, and smooth. I'd buy more 20 round Duramags is I needed them and they were available, and the price was right.

2 minutes ago, OPENB said:

My Prodigy/Duramag that came with my gun worked out of the box as well. I could tell the feed lips had been deburred, as the coating was gone and bare metal was exposed. The lips were in spec, and smooth. I'd buy more 20 round Duramags is I needed them and they were available, and the price was right.

Track here for in stock: https://osagecountyguns.com/springfield-armory-ph6920.html

Here's my rundown on Duramags for The prodigy so far. I have two 26s, three 20s, and one 17. Locally I can get them all for about 40 bucks apiece. 

All have been 100% reliable through somewhere around 1100 rounds at this point. With a TTI 4 mil base pad and grams guts they will hold 23. I only did that to one mag to make sure that it would work and I only got about a hundred or so rounds through it. I don't have a gauge but measured it with a mic and it should be well within the gauge. But yeah, once you add the base pad and a spring and the cost of the mag you're at about 90 bucks, so it's not the greatest deal ever. But if you already have the mags, or just need a 20-rounder for reloads and such, it's not a bad deal at all

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 12:07 AM, ltdmstr said:

Hi, do you know if the prodigy with the iron sights fit the IPSC BOX for standard division? Thanks

Edited by bonglee0507