Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm optimum weight

Dusty

I prefer medium bullets (125-125)going a little slower for minor loads. 115 is the worst bullet for minor because of the snappiness. BUT I never could get used to slow 147’s. Too sluggish for me but they are indeed softer shooting. Love light bullets(115) for 9MAJOR at 1510 fps.

There are a couple of things to consider.  Slower bullets are going to be less accurate in most cases.  For USPSA and similar shooting sports, it also comes down to what is "accurate enough".  For instance, it is well documented that stock Sig P320 barrels tend to not shoot slow 147 gr bullets very accurate.  In my own testing I had to speed up 147 gr bullets to where the PF is around 140-145 before I got acceptable accuracy.  

Some say they do not like the way certain bullet weights feel when they shoot them.  I have never noticed this when on the clock.  I could not tell you specifics if the gun was sluggish or not when I am on the clock.  Standing there shooting slow groups/ doubles I might be able to notice a slight difference, but in the scope of the game I do not think people are "waiting" on the gun.  At least that's my opinion.  Mind you I am a B/A level shooter, so maybe those Ms and GMs can tell the difference and are waiting on the gun.  

Something else to consider is the timing of any gun in regards to the load being used in the gun.  Tuning a gun to typically return to zero when shooting doubles for a given shooters grip and shooting fundamentals is a thing one could work out as well in conjunction with recoil spring weight.  

It really comes down to the individual to do the work.  Figure out their likes and dislikes when it comes to ammo for their gun(s).  I prefer faster bullets speed in all cases in that all of the load work ups I have done, faster bullets are just about always more accurate regardless of the bullet weight.  I play with recoil spring weight to tune the gun once I land on a load I like.

147s feel subjectively 'better' or 'softer' but I have never been able to quantify any performance difference, so usually I go 124-125.  I also don't like the 115s as much, but it's more due to them being supersonic and sounding louder to me, just another thing to worry about.  I'm certainly not in a place where bullet weight is holding me back, I am fairly certain that 115-147 I'd still finish the same at a match, but overall I end up using 124 RMR bullets more than anything.  I do keep some 147s around for shooting suppressed for fun, and they are plenty quiet!

I found 147s to be soft and had good return target for my with my P226. Havent tried them in the new double stack yet, but fully expecting them to work similarly well. I found the cost difference to be negligible in loading and just liked the feel better than 124gr. 

That said, I never tried them on the clock to see if there was an actual difference in drills, and I'm not consistent enough I'd be confident saying any difference was due to the bullet as opposed to me warming up or just having a rough rep. 

In pistols, 124s all the time for minor in USPSA matches.  They knock steel down better than 115s and are more comfortable to shoot.  147s feel nice, but you could take a nap while the slide cycles. 

That being said, hot 147s for falling steel matches, especially if they are all forward falling.  Splits only matter on steel for in-line plate racks.

Here is an interesting take on that subject.  Fast forward to 22:00.  Hwansik Kim explains his reasons for 124 vs 147 and his likes/dislikes.  I was kinda surprised what the other folks said as well.  I use the 147/150 bullets in Carry Optics.

I liked 120-125 for my Stock 2. I liked the snappy return. Never saw much need for the heavy bullets. On the clock it didn't seem to make much difference. You got more bullets per case with the lighter bullets.

I once read heavy bullets for plastic guns, light bullets for steel guns. Not sure if that is correct or not.

I prefer 124/125/135 never was a huge fan of 147s...just seemed a lil too slugish in handguns.

In PCC however I really got hooked on 115's going 1175-1200...recoil was harsher than 124 but the gun is really flat.

Edited by JohnnyD

I've had good luck with 147s for minor in my TP9SFx's, but want to try some 135's as well.  The 147's with Sport Pistol is a soft shooting, accurate load with perfect reliability.

I prefer the 124 or 135 gr.  I almost exclusively shoot blue 135 TCs.  The slower, longer, heavier bullets seem to provide a longer impulse that better moves spinners and knocks down steel.  The 147s cost more, so I split the difference and went 135 gr.  In my testing, I can consistently get a spinner over with one less shot using 135s over 124s.

Mike

Ive ran the 147s almost exclusively, consistent 132-133 pf at majors. It's probably slightly contingent on the slide weight, recoil spring and how the pistol balances. I did try some 135 TCs for a hot minute, didn't see much difference. 

I think everyone has their own preference and there isn't a wrong answer. If it's sufficiently accurate and makes PF, rock on. 

For CO, no matter the weight of the gun I tend to gravitate towards 124/125. Sure, 147s have a different feel but loading for CZs, the shorter bullets are just easier to load. 

I do have 130gr Brass Monkeys on the way to try as well. 

Since I'm a SC shooter, PF means nothing to me.  I have experimented all over the map with different weights, powders, etc.  I've more-or-less settled on 124/125gr. over 2.9gr. of Clays.  This is really soft and works for me at 115pf. 

Now I say "more-or-less" because this winter I plan on experimenting with the same charge and 100gr. Berry's.  If my estimations are correct that should get me something in the neighborhood of 100pf.  I know my PCCO will work that since it will work a 90pf.  Not sure about my PCCI (PC Carbine) yet.

Heavy bullet going fast. Give me that fireball.

I do prefer 147's for USPSA and 3-gun mainly for effect on steel. Subjectively, I enjoy the recoil more especially out of my plastic guns, but I also haven't done a huge amount of split testing. If you're going for PCC, it's a completely different equation. You'll have a whole separate pile of things going into the recoil system and feeding.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried 115, 124/5, 130, 135 and 147s. My favorite is the sns 135s. Of all the bullets I've bought they have been the only ones to have the smallest spread of bullet weight. And at about 132pf they shoot most wonderfully. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, bigdawgbeav said:

Now I say "more-or-less" because this winter I plan on experimenting with the same charge and 100gr. Berry's.

I think you will change your mind after trying it J.  Filthy dirty and closer to 90 PF.  IDK, maybe I'll try it again now that I'm shooting 16" instead of 5.5".