Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Medical Exclusion.

rowdyb

Strictly from the perspective of safety and not at all to capability or performance. Either for the duration of the condition or life.

1. What medical conditions should a provider request you not participate in action shooting style matches at all?

2. What medical conditions should you self select to remove yourself from participating in same?

Edited by rowdyb

I would think any cardiac, pulmonary, or mental health "crisis" (among other issues) should immediately necessitate a hard introspective look at whether or not partaking in a sport involving the dynamic use of firearms is safe, intelligent, or in the best interest of the safety and longevity of the competitor and fellow competitors.   A Provider can always request you refrain from certain activities.  Whether or not a person chooses to listen to the advice of a medical expert is up to them.  As for the rest, it is incumbent upon every person who carries, has access to, or competes with a firearm to make the responsible decision regarding the well-being of themselves and their fellow competitors.  I have (in the past) had to remove myself from a range due to suffering the effects of heat exhaustion where the beginning stages of both physical and mental fatigue and an inability to make good decisions was becoming apparent.  It's the right thing to do, but hard for anyone to put their pride and ego aside. 

Balance & sudden vertigo is another.  Seen some dudes shoot from wheelchairs and walkers, but if you don't and can't reliably stay upright and uprange of the bang, that's a problem.

My primary care provider already restricts me from certain activities.  Fortunately, none involve shooting or moving.  If he ever restricts me from something that prevents my continuing USPSA, I would comply.

As far as self restricting, I have done that once.  I had a temporary problem with my left ankle.  It would occasionally buckle and I would stumble.  The fear of doing a face plant with a loaded gun while running a stage caused me to withdraw.  Safety first.  I honestly believe most shooters would not allow pride and/or ego to cloud their decision.

The one guy that I can remember 'medically' giving up competition did so due to what he perceived to be mental lapses. Older guy, used to shoot with his son and grandsons, he picked up PCC back when that became a USPSA thing. Normally he was the type of guy that one would consider a very safe shooter and an excellent squad mate. Anyhow he picked up two 180 violation DQs in a row with the PCC, and decided that he was just not with it enough to keep competing and bowed out because he was afraid of injuring other shooters. Last I heard he was still hunting and keeping active, just no longer interested in racing with guns.

I haven't seen anyone who shouldn't be out there due to a physical limitation, though I have seen people recovering from surgeries or minor boo-boos wear braces and take it easy, just to see friends and stay active. I figure if you are strong enough to help reset, then you are probably okay to play within your limits. I get much more concerned over shooters who are obviously mentally off their game, and have as a match director questioned a few and sent one home.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, rowdyb said:

Strictly from the perspective of safety and not at all to capability or performance. Either for the duration of the condition or life.

1. What medical conditions should a provider request you not participate in action shooting style matches at all?

2. What medical conditions should you self select to remove yourself from participating in same?

Whatever prompted this odd question?

I got medically downgraded from Master to B after sustaining a broken wrist that really limited my ability to grip the weapon. Takes a letter from your surgeon and concurrence form the Area Director. 

1) I don't usually talk with my doctors about shooting. 

2) When I was diagnosed with T1D, I really took a step back and tried to make sense of what it might affect. I know how to manage it but sometimes it has other ideas. So I've always communicated with those I shoot with about what to look for as far as hypoglycemic episodes go.  Other than making other aware, it's all good.

I can't imagine anything short of Parkinson's or recovering from major surgery that would make me stop shooting.    

In June I had a secondary viral infection that damaged my 7th and 8th cranial nerves. So my cochlea and vestibule don't send or receive anything to my brain. Meaning I am now completely deaf in my right ear, and have constant mid level vertigo that effects even walking difficult and makes running or riding a bike almost impossible. 

Edited by rowdyb

7 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

In June I had a secondary viral infection that damaged my 7th and 8th cranial nerves. So my cochlea and vestibule don't send or receive anything to my brain. Meaning I am now completely deaf in my right ear, and have constant mid level vertigo that effects even walking difficult and makes running or riding a bike almost impossible. 

Wow, that's a bummer Rowdy. Is there any treatment available?

40 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Wow, that's a bummer Rowdy. Is there any treatment available?

I did the initial high dose of corticosteroids. Now it is tincture of time. I will know by September the extent of any healing I'll have.

Edited by rowdyb

Sorry to hear that Rowdy. Balance and dizziness could really effect someone's ability to safely participate. I had to drop out of the final day at a match with those issues. Just once though. Good luck to you.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I am very sorry to hear that, and I hope you recover completely. A riding buddy's GF has vertigo issues, and it is a life-altering problem, especially for us athletic types.

It's hard to throw out blanket statements on stuff like this. Every situation is a bit different. As long as your mental state is not impaired, i would trust you to make your own reasonable decision about what you can safely do. If you can walk without falling, I would think you can safely shoot, but it might not be any fun.

Keeping you in my thoughts, brother.

16 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

you can walk without falling

I walk a very crooked line and sometimes need to reach for support whenit is acting up. But yeah, I could just stand at 10 yards and shoot groups and be safe. So while safe on the square range I don't feel safe teaching or competing currently. 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I am very sorry to hear this Rowdy.  You're one of those super human folks who can do it all.  

Thank you all and I appreciate it, definitely a journey. 

2019 I had tuberculosis 

2021 I had thyroid cancer

2022 this....

Fun times!!

Edited by rowdyb

when i had to have open heart surgery almost 8 years ago, the doc said if i got a mechanical valve, i could never shoot a shotgun again cause of blood thinner.  easy decision-got a cow valve and still shoot 3 gun.  hang in there...

On 7/17/2022 at 11:10 PM, 9x45 said:

I got medically downgraded from Master to B after sustaining a broken wrist that really limited my ability to grip the weapon. Takes a letter from your surgeon and concurrence form the Area Director. 

You could chop off both my legs and I'll never give up my G cards.