Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Medical Exclusion.

rowdyb

26 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Wak, things don't work as fast or as well at 70.... It's not the years, it's the mileage. 

Nam biodh fios agad gu robh thu gu bhith a’ fuireach cho fada sin, bhiodh tu air cùram nas fheàrr a thoirt dhut fhèin, ceart?

2 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Wak, things don't work as fast or as well at 70.... It's not the years, it's the mileage. 

I understand. My knees are jacked. I'm never going to win a nationals or even an Area match at this point, but you'd have to kill me to get me to give up my title.

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

English, please ... For the unfortunate majority of us who lack Druid ancestry.

Nam biodh fios agad gu robh thu gu bhith a’ fuireach cho fada sin, bhiodh tu air cùram nas fheàrr a thoirt dhut fhèin, ceart?

"If you knew you were going to live that long, you would have taken better care of yourself, right?"

9 hours ago, BJB said:

"If you knew you were going to live that long, you would have taken better care of yourself, right?"

Thank you!  Sadly, though, I'm already somewhat out of warranty ...

On 7/17/2022 at 9:44 PM, warpspeed said:

1) I don't usually talk with my doctors about shooting. 

2) When I was diagnosed with T1D, I really took a step back and tried to make sense of what it might affect. I know how to manage it but sometimes it has other ideas. So I've always communicated with those I shoot with about what to look for as far as hypoglycemic episodes go.  Other than making other aware, it's all good.

I can't imagine anything short of Parkinson's or recovering from major surgery that would make me stop shooting.    

Having been in healthcare for more than 30 years, it would be rare for me to tell a provider I even had a gun!

My Onc knows because he told me he had a PPK--his disclosure was due to talking about Bond, James Bond.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My dad died of Parkinsons + dementia years ago.  He wasn't into competitive shooting, but if he had been, he would have thought he could keep shooting long past when he could actually have safely participated.    

I recommend to any shooter that's been diagnosed early with diseases that will affect judgment:  Give up the sport now, while you can own the decision.  When the time finally comes when it's critical you give up the sport, your judgment won't be able to recognize it.  

That said, I've shot matches with people that were legally blind.  Not joking.  Walking stick and everything.  More recently, I almost didn't give "Make Ready" to a shooter that was clearly having some physical difficulties I didn't understand.  That person's partner assured me it was safe, and I chose to trust her.  She was right, after the beep he shot like a champ.  It's amazing what people can push through.  

• 8 months later...

Kind of resurrecting this post, but I do have some thoughts I'd like to share. 

1. I'm a left leg amputee and made it to master in limited division. Standing and shooting, I was pretty decent. Stages with a lot of movement just required that I focus extra hard on my steps and reducing movement as much as possible. I'm confident it made everyone nervous when I went to running, but good trigger discipline and a will to win typically pushed me through. 

2. A good friend that I met through USPSA had a stroke a number of years ago. He used to shoot competitively back in the day and got back into it after the stroke. The issue was that he could hear that you were trying to say something, but his brain would not process the words. He understood load and make ready with a nod and a tap on the shoulder. He would always make eye contact with the RO and motion towards the gun to verify that was the correct command.  After that, he knew there would be some noise "stand by", and then he could tell the beep and then go. One time I saw him get stopped for a ND, and he stopped immediately to the sound of the RO, safely unloaded, and cleared the stage. 

I look to him for a lot of my answers to this dilemma. He wanted to shoot and he wanted to compete. So he sought out people who would help him do both. Several members of the local club did not feel good about him shooting. That was fine, we just squadded them with other folks. I never had an issue squadding or shooting with him. Sometimes it just took a pen and paper to note any oddities of the stage or something to watch out for. 

I guess the moral of my post is that if you have a will, then I encourage you to find a way. If that's a helping hand or a side note to the RO about specific issues, so be it. Be open, be honest, ask for help when needed, and be good to those around you. All other issues seem to work themselves out.