Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Delta 124 v1 vs v2

mundoo

Hi, this may have been covered many times before, but what are the notable differences between these two bullets?  I've been shooting v1s forever, but my mind started itching on the v2s.  Are there advantages either way, and is load data pretty interchangeable?  Thanks in advance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me in the 124 grainers, the V.1 has been slightly more accurate.  Shot over ASP and N320.  
In the 115 grainers they’ve been pretty much even.  Both shot over the same powders as above.  
My handguns don’t mind either design as far as feeding goes.  One of my PCC’s an HK pattern clone does decidedly prefer the V.2 as far as feeding goes.  

On 2/8/2022 at 9:02 PM, AHI said:

Initial testing v1 is more accurate than V2. More testing to come. Adjustment for seating die required backing out the seating stem to maintain same oal.

we talking action pistol accuracy difference?

9 minutes ago, cnote said:

we talking action pistol accuracy difference?

Yep at 15/20yards the v1s will be touching each other. Same distance the v2s are spread out .

Double alfa vs alfa charlie.

Edited by AHI

Tried some v2 and even when loaded to 1.160 the bullet would get stuck in the barrel's rifling.  Fired fine but when I had to unload and showed clear it separated from case spilling power everywhere. Tried some dummy round all the way down to 1.140 and still had same issues.

With the V1 I can load to 1.160 without issues.

Gun is a TSO converted to open with a CZC reamed barrel.

Also I couldn't get to reliably feed through my Hornady bullet feeder.

YMMV, but I'm staying with the V1 JHP

8 minutes ago, 10ring said:

Just ordered some V1s.  I've been a MG customer for a long time but they've been hard to get.  Hopefully the Precision Deltas work well.

I've been a dedicated MG user for over 10 years and have used PD several times as well. Both excellent bullets. PD a little faster in my guns.

I have been loading V1 for two custom 2011 Open guns with no problems at 1.165-1.170. I just got some V2 to try because I like the smooth nose better for not creating so much turbulence. I have not measured that yet but theoretically the V2 should require slightly less powder. By eye the bullets are very close to the same length but measured the V2 is 0.013 shorter. Since the overall length of the round is the important factor in 2011 loading the V2 will be 0.013 less deep into the case. That appears to be plenty deep.

When run through the plunk test both cartridges plunked and were loose and free to spin at 1.165-1.170 OAL. The different oglives appeared to be a non-factor. So I'll look for any accuracy and chronological differences to see how they may be different.

On my last order I got 5k of the 115 V2's to use in my Steel Challenge 38 SC. I loaded some with VVN320. The accuracy was just has good has my 115 JHP Montana Gold.

When it come to the 124 V2's I have not tested them because I just can't get away of the classic 124 JHP (V1).  

• 3 weeks later...

As I'm transitioning over to 124/125g FMJs, is the consensus still preferring the V1 of the PD JHP vs the V2?  As my usual Zero JHPs are not readily available, I want to order a quality replacement for the P320 Max and my S2 Orange.

BTW:  I'm primarily using N320 and an OAL of 1.080" for the S2; but am open to suggestions for a different (longer) OAL for the P320Max if others have proven results.

Thanks and any feedback is truly appreciated! 

HR

I did a test with the V2’s the other day in my TSO at different OAL’s and 1.140 was most accurate. Tried 1.130, 1.125, 1.120, 1.110 and 1.100. Didn’t notice any difference in accuracy over the v1. Used my ransom rest to test at 25 yards. I benched it at 10 yards and they all went in one hole with the TSO and my M&P Core.

5 minutes ago, Darrell said:

I did a test with the V2’s the other day in my TSO at different OAL’s and 1.140 was most accurate. Tried 1.130, 1.125, 1.120, 1.110 and 1.100. Didn’t notice any difference in accuracy over the v1. Used my ransom rest to test at 25 yards. I benched it at 10 yards and they all went in one hole with the TSO and my M&P Core.

Darrell:

Excellent info!  Thanks for sharing.

BTW:  did you ever do extensive testing with your P320 X5 Legion that's listed in your sig?

Thanks!

:)

Loose jackets. weigh variations. Like less than 90 gr to slightly over . By now I would hope the issue has been fixed. Haven't opened the replacements. To see. Just don't have time .