Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm defense bullet

chetc

looking to buy some bulk bullets in either 115 or preferred 124 jacketed hollow point bullets to load for self defense loads, i see RMR , berrys and maybe a few more i may have missed, looking for some suggestions on a good bullet.

chet

Years ago I decided to only run Speer Gold Dots for carry ammo. After reading many magazine and internet tests, the trend I saw was that Gold Dots were consistently at the top regardless of caliber and weight. They were rarely first or second place, but they were always consistent. Other plus point have have read and confirmed for myself is they are reliable in anything from 1911s, Glocks and anywhere in between.

When I was deciding on a personal defense load I spent a lot of time looking over the tests the FBI did for a number of Police Orgs.  I concluded the HSTs were the best bet.

I bought factory HSTs in 9mm and 45.  Using them removes a possible line of attack if you have to go to court.  I use the same ammo the Police use shuts down any attempt to portray you as a mad man whoomphing up killer ammo because you are bloodthirsty.   This recommendation was from several Policemen.  You don't really need a lot of PD ammo, so reloading isn't necessary.  I bought two boxes of 50 each.  I sighted in and practiced with one.  I still have the other box, thankfully unused.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 8:18 PM, N7VY said:

I use Lehigh Defense copper fluted bullets. The ballistic gel tests are unbelievable. Look on YT. I think the 380 and 9mm bullets are 90 grain. 

I load the 65gr version of the Lehigh XD to over 1850fps from my carry gun.   They are the most accurate loads I have ever put through that gun. 

Gold dots or HST, end of story... These two brands have been tested, proven by most LE departments.  Lehigh Defense is another decent brand, as well as Liberty Ammunition, Liberty offers lightweight ammunition that carries a lot of punch (kinetic energy) whatever you decide to purhcase/carry make sure you train with your ammo of choice.  

Here's what I use, my best attempt to duplicate factory ammo with the bullets I have.  It shoots well in all my 9mm pistols but I'll have to find another powder, I'm just about out of CFE and WAC.

Gun:  Glock 17 with Alpha Wolf Barrel.

Bullet:  Speer 115 gr. Gold Dot HP
Powder:  Hodgdon CFE Pistol 5.95 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Federal (2-Dot)
LOAL:  1.125 (0.850 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point) 
Average Velocity:  1199.69 fps
ES:  36.00
SD:  11.21
Recoil Spring:  ISMI 15 lb. recoil spring and Jager Polymer Guide Rod.

I agree with those who say that Gold Dot and HST are great choices.  I don't know if you can buy HST's as bullets only though. I use HST's in factory ammo since you don't need large amounts of defense ammunition. The Winchester T series is good, and I've heard good things about Barnes TAC-XP. I prefer to use bullets used extensively by law enforcement.  That way you know that the bullets have a documented real world track record. 

Well, the chart RGA put up has me thinking.  I sold my 9mm HSTs when I sold my P226.  I still have them in 45 and plan to keep them.  For 9mm I'm currently loaded with Prvi Partizan i47gr JHPs.  I bought them for another gun which didn't like them.  Based on the data in the chart, I'll shoot them up for practice and buy some Barnes 115 TAC-XP 9mm.  I definitely DO NOT want 18" of penetration.

Added later:  well, scratch the TAC-XP.  I just watched a video of gel tests and one of the five shots did not expand at all, and penetrated 19".  That is not acceptable.

Edited by zzt