Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best coated bullets for Open?

vgdvc

Blue bullets, my old supercomp load pushed 115 to almost 1500 FPS with no leading

i also swabbed my comp with kroil at the end of the day and let it sit until the next time I shot it. The kroil is a penetrating oil that would loosen the crud and blow it out the next time I shot

I ordered 1000 RMR 124 JHP about two months ago, just to have them.  They shipped in less than one week.  I've never used New England, but I have used Everglades.  I prefer the RMR JHPs.

I've been able to order Precision Delta 124 JHP's almost on a weekly basis for a few months now, the only down side is sometimes they wont offer them in 2k lots, only 1k. I was able to order 2-2,000 count (4k total) cases last week Friday, I ordered another 4k yesterday. Also I check Montana Gold everyday and I can usually get 2 cases (3.750) a month. JHP's are out there you just gotta consistently check the sites.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, vgdvc said:

So with jhp being really hard to come by what's the experiences had for the best coated bullets regarding  accuracy and least amount of comp build up?

Victor - Blue Bullets have been awesome. Zero leading in my comps and they are very accurate, just make sure you order .356 profile. I have run the tc and the rn blues with zero issues.

I just got 40 lbs of 1945 era military surplus pistol powder so I can run 125gr J-Ames bullets. Best weight for accuracy from what I can afford and super clean in my PCC. One hole drillers in my Glocks and Leadstar PCC's. I would buy their 147 rnfp ones that are even more accurate but I can't afford the higher priced ones. I got lucky and bought two months ago when they had more for everyone. It appears they cranked up mass production lately but mostly only to law enforcement agency contracts and most of their bullets go there, and less go to civilians is what I'm hearing at the range.

Edited by Trump

On 9/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, Corrado_kid said:

Victor - Blue Bullets have been awesome. Zero leading in my comps and they are very accurate, just make sure you order .356 profile. I have run the tc and the rn blues with zero issues.

Thanks!

From what I've seen Blue Bullets and BBI bullets works very well. I have couple friends who shoot them and have had no more leading then with JHP. I talked with Chandler (owner of BBI) and Brennan (BBI open shooter) recently about using them for 9 major and both said to use a powder closer to silhouette as ones like AA7 burn hotter and can burn the coating off though. 

I dont have any personal experience with it yet as I have a pile of 9 major loaded with everglades 124JHP I bought off a friend who switched to 38SC and some of the everglades 9 major ammo I had bought before I started reloading myself. And I haven't yet committed to shooting open so I just use that ammo when I do take it to a local. 

• 2 weeks later...