Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best coated bullets for Open?

vgdvc

Why .356 as opposed to .355 for open?  Just curious what difference it makes with coated versus JHP (RMR JHP is .355).  Obviously if I can buy one profile for different guns it makes life easier.

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

Why .356 as opposed to .355 for open?  Just curious what difference it makes with coated versus JHP (RMR JHP is .355).  Obviously if I can buy one profile for different guns it makes life easier.

For whatever reason the .355’s don’t hold a group. The .356’s do. I tried both and never looked back. I run tc .355’s for minor and .356 rn for major that way I don’t get the bullets mixed up. 

1 hour ago, Corrado_kid said:

For whatever reason the .355’s don’t hold a group. The .356’s do. I tried both and never looked back. I run tc .355’s for minor and .356 rn for major that way I don’t get the bullets mixed up. 

Okay, thanks.  Like I said I was just curious.  Good call on the different profiles!!  Sometimes I need to be slapped for stupidity.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, clw42 said:

When I first started looking at coated bullets (for minor, not major though) a lot of people said the larger diameter bullets seal the barrel better, and sometimes the smaller .355 diameter can have gas leak around the bullet and not get fully trapped behind it. This causes the gas to burn and “gas cut” the bullets causing worse accuracy and more leading in your barrel. There’s a lot of different opinions on if it’s a big deal or relevant in general and a lot of people say they don’t have a problem shooting the .355s, but in my opinion it would make a lot more sense at major pressures than it would at minor that this would happen. 

• 3 months later...