Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If they recognized it, would you shoot it ?

10mmdave

13 minutes ago, DS-10-SPEED said:

Go to Revolver Supply.

Oh. Didn't put 2+2 together. I buy often from Revolver Supply. George is a friend from back in the days when he was in Connecticut. I have 6 loaders from him so I guess they are your design. Great product.  Thanks, Manny. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/27/2021 at 9:04 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

I'd like to know how you'd grow Revo at Area and Section matches. It would help me justify adding the trophies next year. 

My opinion? I’m not sure I have many ideas. Easiest answer is to put big money on it and let everyone know.

Get the factory to put a bounty on a rimfire revo division winner and see who shows up for it. They’ll sell guns just for that event. 

I’m not sure I’m the best person to ask, I’m very selective what matches I shoot. I guess I’d figure out the target audience and cater to them. 

I’m still trying to figure out how the finances of a major match lose money, why division winners aren’t all paid huge cash, and why the hell random draw prize tables even exist. 

On a separate note, what ever happened to hosting and promoting an “Event?” East coast steel challenge championship comes to mind- they have vendors, a good prize table, food trucks, cash to winners. Terrible location, but other than that they knock it out.  

Old time IRC did as well. Great event, great prizes, no random draws, great location.

Just because something carries a section, area, nationals or world title mean it’s going to be a good event to attend. Clubs, MDs, event planners and stage designers need to build a reputation before they expect big numbers to attend their events. Host the match you would want to attend, and the outcome will take care of itself. This is historically why matches that move around don’t do as well as “staple” matches. Knowing what you’re getting before you travel is a huge one. 

I wouldn't go out and buy a revolver to shoot it,no. In several years of shooting two different local matches in East TN, I've only seen two guys shoot revolvers and they're not regulars. If it gets added though, I don't see how it would be a problem. 

I would shoot it exactly 1 time to get classified and then never again.  I don't 'care' if it's a division or not.  I don't think I saw anyone shooting a rimfire revolver at the WSSC, and in the past 5 years I've seen 1 shooter show up at the local match with a 22 revolver - so I don't think anyone locally would care either.

52 minutes ago, revolver45 said:

Do you think that maybe, if there were separate rimfire revolver classes available that more shooters who have revolvers would shoot them?

Perhaps, but looking at the revolver centerfire numbers it doesn't appear to be the case.  Pre-Covid numbers for the combined revolver divisions at World Speed Shoot: 2015 = 37 participants between both divisions, 2016 = 42;  compared to 29 entries in 2018 and only 16 entries in 2019.  So, from 2015 to 2019 more than a 50% reduction in participation.  While for a reference, RFRO went from 15 rifles in 2015, to 144 in 2019.   

Your numbers seem to indicate that rimfire is gaining by leaps and bounds. Then maybe the rimfire revolvers would have a good showing as well. Bottom line for me is in my area (New England) there appears to be a lot of competitors shooting revolver, like myself and I believe the new division should be created as a provisional one and lets see what happens. Going strictly by the numbers, single stack should have been eliminated a long time ago, which I do not condone by the way, nor do I shoot one, but I feel those who do shoot them, should be able to. Again, just my opinion.

17 hours ago, revolver45 said:

Your numbers seem to indicate that rimfire is gaining by leaps and bounds. Then maybe the rimfire revolvers would have a good showing as well. Bottom line for me is in my area (New England) there appears to be a lot of competitors shooting revolver, like myself and I believe the new division should be created as a provisional one and lets see what happens. Going strictly by the numbers, single stack should have been eliminated a long time ago, which I do not condone by the way, nor do I shoot one, but I feel those who do shoot them, should be able to. Again, just my opinion.

Revolver dropped from 37 to 16. 

Rimfire Rifle Optic went from 15 to 144. 

Back again to thank all for the spirited discussion.

Some thoughts on participation, yes I do see the loss of OSR & ISR numbers, but I see this as a direct result of SC NOT supporting Revolver shooters.....I see a fair number of Revo’s in my area at the monthly SC matches, not so for USPSA since the change to 8 shots which is a whooole ‘nother discussion.

Granted, Darqusoull13 tried to entice Revolver shooters to come to A4, did anybody know that !?!

And the fact that Revolver shooters are not going to major matches says more about the treatment they receive from USPSA/SC, read your last Front Sight magazine, no posting of the revolver scores for the World Shoot, or the fact that Michael Poogie came within 2 seconds of Jerry M’s record breaking time back in 2010, 88.06 seconds with a wheel gun!!! Look at the other articles, any Revo scores posted for them ??

The explosion of children shooting 22 rifles, and PCC’s that are dominating local USPSA matches these days have all contributed to the loss. There are only so many divisions to shoot and I’m sure some of those Revo shooters have gone “to the dark side” of rifles, would more and constant coverage of Revo’s get more people to shoot one??

And another thing, why do I need to go to “big” matches, this is supposed to be an amateur nationwide sport, with “classifiers” to show how we stack up against the rest of the country. If Rimfire Revo is lumped in with the auto’s we’ll never see the real numbers. I can attend a 6 to 8 stage match every weekend and sometimes twice in a weekend, I have more shooting opportunities locally than ever before, why should I spend $1500 to $2500 to attend a match that will cater to teens & preteens.

Alright, enough complaining, getting RFOR RFIR recognized is a first step, I can’t believe It costs that much to get the software folks to add two more categories. If you don’t have the numbers at your major match, then no cost to you.

If you post that there will be special prizes or recognition for Revolver shooters then great, but if they don’t want to attend your $200-$400 match plus $500-$1000 in additional expenses don’t let that bother you, maybe next year.

Talk to your Area representatives, let them know you wishes, just posting here won’t be enough I’m afraid.

Edited by 10mmdave

22 hours ago, revolver45 said:

Do you think that maybe, if there were separate rimfire revolver classes available that more shooters who have revolvers would shoot them?

Well with the amount of posters saying they already shoot SC with their Rimfire revo's the numbers in the first year will be explosive 🤣

Well said my friend. In my humble unprofessional/green opinion, if you build it they will come. When I see the RFPO I grab my 22/45 If I saw RFOR/I I would grab my 617 (yes I do not own one.... yet). By the way nice run(s) at Area 7 👍

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, 10mmdave said:

Some thoughts on participation, yes I do see the loss of OSR & ISR numbers, but I see this as a direct result of SC NOT supporting Revolver shooters.....

Um, they have their own divisions, and people can shoot them.  On a local level, I'm not certain what else exactly you'd like.

How is SC "not supporting Revolver shooters" in OSR and ISR at a local level?  Because we can clearly see that local numbers are incredibly low and dropping.

("Not happening to talk about them in a magazine" isn't something I'd think important enough to be considered as "lack of support for revolver shooters." IMO.)

I'm pretty sure articles in the magazine are all submitted. I imagine you aren't seeing any articles because no one who writes them cares about wheel guns. But if there was a wheel gunner with writing skills and another with some photography skills I'd bet you could get something in there. 

Granted most of the membership probably wouldn't care to read it. Don't take that to heart, it's not just revolver.  I don't really ready anything in the magazine.

Anyone can submit an article to the uspsa mag. Or even the idpa mag. They both have contributor guidelines that are pretty clear. I've written multiple articles for both. Want revo stuff in the mag, then you're going to have to write it yourself.

18 hours ago, revolver45 said:

So obviously, you are not a revolver shooter.

If that was directed to me: I have classifications in ISR and OSR.  And I'm an ICORE member.  And I've shot ISR at locals and majors.  So---yes, I occasionally shoot revolvers.

If that wasn't directed to me, then ignore the above.

I'm still curious how "SC NOT supporting Revolver shooters" happens on a local level.    What support at a local level do people want, in terms of ISR and OSR?  What support do they think would make a difference to the number of people shooting revolvers, in terms of those divisions?

And yes, I'm talking about ISR and OSR instead of "addition a rimfire revolver division" because the quote I was responding to was:  "...I do see the loss of OSR & ISR numbers, but I see this as a direct result of SC NOT supporting Revolver shooters..."

As people have pointed out, articles in magazines have nothing to do with whether or not SC is supporting revolver.

6 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

If that was directed to me: I have classifications in ISR and OSR.  And I'm an ICORE member.  And I've shot ISR at locals and majors.  So---yes, I occasionally shoot revolvers.

If that wasn't directed to me, then ignore the above.

I'm still curious how "SC NOT supporting Revolver shooters" happens on a local level.    What support at a local level do people want, in terms of ISR and OSR?  What support do they think would make a difference to the number of people shooting revolvers, in terms of those divisions?

And yes, I'm talking about ISR and OSR instead of "addition a rimfire revolver division" because the quote I was responding to was:  "...I do see the loss of OSR & ISR numbers, but I see this as a direct result of SC NOT supporting Revolver shooters..."

As people have pointed out, articles in magazines have nothing to do with whether or not SC is supporting revolver.

With no disrespect intended, the question was asked if they created the class, would you shoot it. It is a yes or no answer. No one asked for participation numbers and political opinions. There is a group of .22 rimfire revolver shooters asking to be put into a division so they may compete against each other. If that is something you would like to do,  then your answer is yes,  if not, it's no. Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, revolver45 said:

With no disrespect intended, the question was asked if they created the class, would you shoot it. It is a yes or no answer. No one asked for participation numbers and political opinions. There is a group of .22 rimfire revolver shooters asking to be put into a division so they may compete against each other. If that is something you would like to do,  then your answer is yes,  if not, it's no. Thanks again. 

So.....we are ignoring all of the other things that have been said in this 3-page thread?

Huh.  It seemed odd that you singled me out for your comment when a significant number of the rest of the posts here are not merely yes or no answers---and more importantly, I was replying to someone's comment where I literally kept to the topic they were speaking to.   Which wasn't the yes or no question you are talking about.

...but you didn't say that to them.

"No one asked for participation numbers and political opinions. "

And yet, if you want to actually grow the revolver numbers, talking about participation and getting people to do so is rather important.  Political opinions...?  No idea where that even came from.

"With no disrespect intended" is an odd thing to say when literally your post was a personal comment unrelated to the topic.  Ok, so your post didn't actually mean anything.

Back to relevant things...

On the original topic:  I'd probably borrow a rimfire revo to shoot, because it would be amusing.   I'd be curious if I could get it to the same classification level my other rimfire divisions are, or matching my ISR classification. 

On the other topics in the thread, regarding low ISR and OSR numbers, and how to get more people into shooting it:

People discussing the actual problems (and being able to list the actual problems, instead of just waving their hands and saying "we aren't supported enough!") and then trying to find ways to fix them (including what specific support would help from SC HQ), would probably work better.  I'm still curious as to what specific support people want (that they aren't getting from SCSA) that will make a difference for local/club matches.

I mean, ICORE is literally ABOUT revolvers, and they do a ton to support matches.  And yet, they are having trouble with numbers also.  What exactly can an organization do to help this?  And what of that is SCSA not currently doing?

And who knows?  Maybe even someone who doesn't shoot revolver currently might have a good idea.  After all, if the point is to get more people to shoot revolvers including rimfire revolvers, we should probably talk to the others who DON'T do it right now, and see if anything like that would make them interested.  Saying "you don't shoot a revolver, so you should shut up" probably isn't going to help grow those numbers.

More importantly, the number of people who currently shoot rimfire revo in RFPI/RFPO is probably so small, that number isn't going to convince many people.  Adding in people who WOULD shoot it but don't currently shoot revolvers might help--so asking people who aren't currently revo shooters their opinion might be a good idea.

I shot my 617 all summer for our local Steel Challenge Matches and had a ball shooting in the RFPI.  It's what I like.  It would be nice and I know of a few more shooters that want to come out and shoot their .22s as well.  There are no prizes at the local matches so why not let them at least be recognized in Practiscore for their efforts?