Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

27 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

The scheel handles hotter ammo just fine.. (I run 138-140PF 115’s myself), it’s just not well suited to jump from one type of ammo to another without swapping roller springs. 

Even swapping from 115’s to 124’s of similar PF can feel very different behind the optic. Different chamber pressures… and that’s what the roller delay focuses on… keeps the gun locked up based on a specific chamber pressure. 

The Scheel system does tend to keep the upper/lower much cleaner because of the lock up. Whereas a direct blowback system lets more powder residue and carbon back into the receiver. 

Same deal with the JP5,

Depending on what ammo you are using you have to change locking blocks for $100 a pop

to get the "feel" you want.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have a buddy that is 20,000 rounds into the MPX (he use to love), but is tired of the failures.  And he knows what he is doing.  JP5 incoming.  

Ha... 30k+ and 3 mpx's later.

The MPX to me is like dating a crazy hot psychopath. When there is no issue it's the best times of your life...

If anyone has upgraded to the new version from the original I would be interested on your thoughts. I have the original and just as I got it dialed in a roller broke. Went back to my hydraulic buffer. I like the Scheel system, trying to decide if it’s worth spending more money on.

26 minutes ago, AKJD said:

If anyone has upgraded to the new version from the original I would be interested on your thoughts. I have the original and just as I got it dialed in a roller broke. Went back to my hydraulic buffer. I like the Scheel system, trying to decide if it’s worth spending more money on.

The new one isn’t released yet. Just a few beta testers at this point. 

Official release slated for January. 

6 minutes ago, dwzuspsa said:

Lucky me I just got mine a couple of months ago and would have waited for the new improved version....looks a bit more heavy duty.

There will likely be some type or upgrade program from what Corey has told me. Keep an eye out for that. 

The new one definitely looks beefed up. Rollers. Pins. Spring. The nylon spring insert is no longer needed with the longer tail on the buffer. 

On 12/9/2022 at 7:25 PM, Dirty_J said:

There will likely be some type or upgrade program from what Corey has told me. Keep an eye out for that. 

The new one definitely looks beefed up. Rollers. Pins. Spring. The nylon spring insert is no longer needed with the longer tail on the buffer. 

I'm glad you posted this, I was about to order the new one, I'll hold off and see what happens.

17 hours ago, AKJD said:

I'm glad you posted this, I was about to order the new one, I'll hold off and see what happens.

It’s my understanding the new one will cost a little bit more than the existing model. 

The upgrade charge could be a wash…

or it could cost ya a bit more in the long run. Couldn’t really say. 

Guess it all comes down to timing. The Gen1 available now. The Gen2 not launching until next month and I’m sure will be scarce to start. 

Watching the install video and cant figure out why you would back off the buffer tube once you feel resistance of the bolt contacting the buffer. Wouldn't you want there to be some preload? If you create a gap between the bolt and buffer I dont see what good a roller delayed system would be doing. If you preload it too much then same problem I would imagine. 

This is the part that concerns me because you are stuck with the rotation of the buffer tube being how you adjust the bolt and buffer touching. You have to have the buffer squared so there is either a gap between buffer and bolt or too much preload. 

I dont have it in my hands yet because I am waiting for the Gen2 so for those of you with this system what did you do to adjust this?

3 minutes ago, DukeSoprano said:

You are still touching the bolt (via spring pressure), the resistance you do not want to feel is the rollers backing out of the windows into the buffer tube. If you tighten the tube too far, your rollers will compress and you will loose the benefits of the roller preload 

Basically this. 

With too much bolt preload; the rollers are pushed to the rear of the tube cutout (or even slightly depressed already. 

With not enough bolt preload; the rollers are touching the front of the tube cutout (due to action spring force)

When it’s just right, the rollers are centered up in the tube cutout and you’ve got just the right about of preload on the bolt. 

I will just have to wait and see how it aligns when I get mine. My concern is how do you make sure the rollers are in the middle of their cut out on the buffer tube. If it’s all done with threading the buffer tube on you could are stuck with how ever the tube lines up.

As a side note I emailed Corey about triggers. I was watching his YouTube vid and he said the original idea was to some how lock the hammer forward to delay the bolt. Then he said this is what the hiper fire trigger basically does. So now I’m thinking that trigger combined with his roller system would be a great combo. I have a gmr13 and it’s all stock with 70k rounds through it. I want to make some changes and gain that edge. 

42 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

I will just have to wait and see how it aligns when I get mine. My concern is how do you make sure the rollers are in the middle of their cut out on the buffer tube. If it’s all done with threading the buffer tube on you could are stuck with how ever the tube lines up.

As a side note I emailed Corey about triggers. I was watching his YouTube vid and he said the original idea was to some how lock the hammer forward to delay the bolt. Then he said this is what the hiper fire trigger basically does. So now I’m thinking that trigger combined with his roller system would be a great combo. I have a gmr13 and it’s all stock with 70k rounds through it. I want to make some changes and gain that edge. 

It’s easier than you’re making it out to be. Full turns of the buffer tube is small enough adjustment to get it right. You’ll see where the sweet spot is easily. 

And yes… using the hiperfire toggle springs to delay the bolt opening is a thing. I bought the green “russian” springs for years and ran them in my blowback pccs… and now they’re included with the last eclipse I bought. Crazy light trigger and adds some extra lockup force to the bolt. 👌 

15 hours ago, brian45acp said:

There is always a little compromise when you are trying to make a roller delayed system work as a buffer vs in the bolt design.

43 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

There is always a little compromise when you are trying to make a roller delayed system work as a buffer vs in the bolt design.

Kinda like fitting 9mm in to a platform designed for a bottleneck rifle cartridge. 😂