Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, gose said:

Anyone try this out yet? Looks like a JP-5 for the poors. Using rollers in a pretty thin alu tube doesnt scream longevity to me, then OTOH, you can buy a lot of tubes for the price of a JP5

https://scheel-mfg.square.site/product/roller-delayed-buffer-system-complete/9?cs=true&cst=custom

Waiting to see if anyone has any info on these.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, gose said:

Anyone try this out yet? Looks like a JP-5 for the poors. Using rollers in a pretty thin alu tube doesnt scream longevity to me, then OTOH, you can buy a lot of tubes for the price of a JP5

https://scheel-mfg.square.site/product/roller-delayed-buffer-system-complete/9?cs=true&cst=custom

They claim 10k rounds with no parts wear. That's pretty good. I would take one for the team, but haven't been competing much these days.

I actually had alot of the same concerns that are brought up on the forums and assumed I would have to address them as my testing continued.

1.  When I was building my first protptype I assumed I would have to add a keyway to keep the buffer from rotating, but I discovered the rollers are kept in line w the pockets because they drive the buffer straight in the tube like a roller skate. If it rotates a degree or two it is perfectly ligned back up when it detents back into the pocket.

2. I also assumed the forces would quickly wear out an aluminum tube. I was wrong. It has not bulged or show any significant wear in over 11k rds on my unit and i have 3 testers w over 3k each on theirs.  I planned to have a steel tube made but real world testing proves it is not needed. 

The key takeaways are:
1. Our buffer does the same thing as a regular buffer- it only changes at what time in the cycle the forces are applied to the buffer tube.
2.  Most of the force is still absorbed by the weight of the bolt and buffer. The rollers/tube interface does not recieve the full recoil force as in a mp5 system. 
Edited by CoreyScheel
wrong number
24 minutes ago, CoreyScheel said:
     I actually had alot of the same concerns that are brought up on the forums and assumed I would have to address them as my testing continued.

1.  When I was building my first protptype I assumed I would have to add a keyway to keep the buffer from rotating, but I discovered the rollers are kept in line w the pockets because they drive the buffer straight in the tube like a roller skate. If it rotates a degree or two it is perfectly ligned back up when it detents back into the pocket.

2. I also assumed the forces would quickly wear out an aluminum tube. I was wrong. It has not bulged or show any significant wear in over 11k rds on my unit and i have 3 testers w over 3k each on theirs.  I planned to have a steel tube made but real world testing proves it is not needed. 

The key takeaways are:
1. Our buffer does the same thing as a regular buffer- it only changes at what time in the cycle the forces are applied to the buffer tube.
2.  Most of the force is still absorbed by the weight of the bolt and buffer. The rollers/tube interface does not recieve the full recoil force as in a mp5 system. 

Do you make a non adjustable rifle length buffer tube for your system?

1 hour ago, CoreyScheel said:

The key takeaways are:

Any videos?

Interesting. Once upon a time I took my MP5, MPX, blow back AR and scorpion to do recoil testing. My plan was to shoot and feel. I did some videoing too. Much to my surprise I could see the recoil. I had on a tank top and you could see the difference in recoil based on how much the meat in my arm and shoulder moved. MPX and MP5 were pretty close in mild recoil where the blow back AR had more and scorpion was the worst (the scorpion was also the lightest). It felt that way and visual aid confirmed what I perceived. It would be neat to show something like that with your system. Same gun shooter ammo etc. Just swap the roller buffer in and see the difference - just need a dude with a manly arm 💪

20 hours ago, mgkrs said:

Does it work with a stock that fully encloses a buffer tube, like the magpul fixed carbine stock? Or would that block the locking parts coming out of the buffer tube?

It works great w the magpul fixed stock. it does not interfere w the rollers. 

How does tuning for this work? It seems like you’d want to remove the weight from the bcg, use the strongest buffer locking springs, and lightest recoil spring to reduce recoil the most. How do you know if you’ve gone too far - split cases?

On 6/16/2021 at 5:34 PM, mgkrs said:

How does tuning for this work? It seems like you’d want to remove the weight from the bcg, use the strongest buffer locking springs, and lightest recoil spring to reduce recoil the most. How do you know if you’ve gone too far - split cases?

Within the buffer body are 3 slots for the springs as well as a larger slot for the rollers to recess into. Depending on the position and quantity of the springs, you can adjust up or down the force needed to overcome the rollers. You tune by configuring it to the recommended starting position, then add springs or swap out for stronger springs.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:46 AM, StripedLizard said:

Within the buffer body are 3 slots for the springs as well as a larger slot for the rollers to recess into. Depending on the position and quantity of the springs, you can adjust up or down the force needed to overcome the rollers. You tune by configuring it to the recommended starting position, then add springs or swap out for stronger springs.

Is the length of the buffer adjustable?

So you can make sure it locks when the bolt is fully closed?

Because I assume that there can be differences in how the threads for the buffer tube is cut in the upper (where it starts), and that would change where it locks.

On 6/23/2021 at 1:26 AM, grottulf said:

Is the length of the buffer adjustable?

So you can make sure it locks when the bolt is fully closed?

Because I assume that there can be differences in how the threads for the buffer tube is cut in the upper (where it starts), and that would change where it locks.

It's not adjustable. You need to install it while the buffer is in tube.

Just installed the tube w/ buffer. Like the magnetic system, this system is very hard to charge. Harder actually. Will see after breaking it in how much that changes. I wish there was some sort of tool that would help me depress the rollers so that I can tune it quicker. The rollers themselves are flush with the outside of the buffer. No range time until next week unfortunately.

Edited by StripedLizard