Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

On 3/8/2024 at 12:38 PM, Pck said:

Doing a new lower build, first time for me. Using a stripped Aero lower, cmc 9mm trigger and the Scheel rdbs g2 I just got. Using an existing upper, Taccom upper, Taccom ulw barrel,  Taccom short stroke bcg. Schell rdbs setup per instructions, heavy spring hole  1, light spring hole 2.

Ran about 30 rds fine then the bolt started to not go fully forward. Figured I would finish break in. Fire a round or two and clear round not chambered. Then I had the bolt lock back into the buffer tube. At home I was able to press the trigger down with a screw driver and get the bolt forward.

So 2 problems, weak bolt return and bolt recoiling too far any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Did you remove the weight from the BCG?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, WildPete said:

Did you remove the weight from the BCG?

No I didn't. The instructions for the gen 2 didn't say anything about that. I may give that a try at some point. 

• 2 weeks later...

Long time lurker, but I have been running Scheel buffer in my carbine for a couple of years now and really like it, I use it for a training replacement for my 5.56 AR since I can't do drills with rifle calibers at the range I belong to.   I ended up getting rid of the supplied spring because it wouldn't always feed from bolt lock back. 6 months ago, I just cut down a AR 5.56mm carbine factory spring.  I just measured the number of coils so the buffer would bottom out in the stock and not have spring bind when at full compression.  Works much better and still super soft shooting.  I had to play with my roller spring weights to find the happy place.   I am running a old school extractor CMMG BCG  and an colt style lower receiver. 

This spring I bought at a5 buffer tube from scheels, put my wave washer in the butt with a couple of quarters to separate the carbine spring and buffer. Now it is really soft and fast.  I am a weirdo, I like heavy 9mm for everything, so my current load is 165gr Powder Coated RN, 1.150", 2.5 gr Tightgroup  129 pf in 16"

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Walnut said:

Long time lurker, but I have been running Scheel buffer in my carbine for a couple of years now and really like it, I use it for a training replacement for my 5.56 AR since I can't do drills with rifle calibers at the range I belong to.   I ended up getting rid of the supplied spring because it wouldn't always feed from bolt lock back. 6 months ago, I just cut down a AR 5.56mm carbine factory spring.  I just measured the number of coils so the buffer would bottom out in the stock and not have spring bind when at full compression.  Works much better and still super soft shooting.  I had to play with my roller spring weights to find the happy place.   I am running a old school extractor CMMG BCG  and an colt style lower receiver. 

This spring I bought at a5 buffer tube from scheels, put my wave washer in the butt with a couple of quarters to separate the carbine spring and buffer. Now it is really soft and fast.  I am a weirdo, I like heavy 9mm for everything, so my current load is 165gr Powder Coated RN, 1.150", 2.5 gr Tightgroup  129 pf in 16"

Good luck!

Cool, thanks for the info.