Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

I just finished installing the Gen 2. You no longer use the bumper in the tube when installing. I didn't see it in the instructions stating other wise but a quick message to Corey verified my initial thoughts. I will do the break in tomorrow and if I have time will tune it to my ammo.

321237520_1141492136541439_5493837105556959168_n.jpg

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished installing mine as well. I watched his installation video on YouTube prior and the actual install was a breeze. It took me from start to finish about 10 minutes. I'll be tuning this to my loads as well, but first I have to chrono my new recipe and see if it makes 135pf.

IMG_20230103_171744.jpg

IMG_20230103_171749.jpg

Update: Just an 'initial impressions' update to my post above... the hold is pretty strong. I understand that there's a break-in process and I'm hoping that it will lessen the hold a little. Pulling on the charging handle, I can just imagine how hard it will be for shooting stages where a reload is mandatory. Other than that, the only other thing I can say is that if you have sensitive olfactory senses, you will smell the metal on metal rubbing inside the buffer tube. It seeps right out of the two holes. Haha. It reeeally smells bad. Unfortunately, I'm one of those who can smell anything and everything from a mile away. I still very much look forward to breaking this in and then tuning it to my reloads, though! I'm very excited.

Edited by Seanzky
6 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

So does this short stroke the gun?

No. It’s not really needed with the Scheel system. In fact.. with its super light action spring.. I feel it needs the “running start” to function at its best. 

I say this as a Scheel user that came from a Kynshot 5020ss 

I examined mine today in hand and its really well made. I did notice one bearing is a bit gritty feeling and hard to roll. I oiled it up and think its just because its rubbing inside one of the arms. I imagine break in will free it up a bit more. 

I did order the short stroke bumpers and another set of blue springs to have on hand. Above I see it mentioned no bumper needed so now I wonder if I shouldn't have bought those. My idea was to use the smallest one so when the roller bottoms out the blue rubber from the buffer bottoms into the black one at the end of the tube. Should soften the blow a bit and I do want to play around with short stroking and not lose any trigger speed.

yeah mine feel like that as well. Hold it up to the light and you can see the bearing is to one side in the arm and touches but other side doesnt. I think the roll pin tightly holds them but as it was driven in traps the roller to one side and it stays there causing it to drag. I oiled mine and rolled it by hand along my cleaning mat for a while and it seems a lot better. 

I emailed Corey to ask about it but I suspect it needs break in. I took a sharpie to make a line and watch it if it rolls or not and once inside the tube it seems to roll fine. We dont want these to drag or it will really wear it out. 

39 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

yeah mine feel like that as well. Hold it up to the light and you can see the bearing is to one side in the arm and touches but other side doesnt. I think the roll pin tightly holds them but as it was driven in traps the roller to one side and it stays there causing it to drag. I oiled mine and rolled it by hand along my cleaning mat for a while and it seems a lot better. 

I emailed Corey to ask about it but I suspect it needs break in. I took a sharpie to make a line and watch it if it rolls or not and once inside the tube it seems to roll fine. We dont want these to drag or it will really wear it out. 

Mine doesn't behave like that. There's no drag in mine. It spins fine, but not in the same as a bike's wheel would spin freely. When I turn it, it turns but consistently choppy like there are detents. I also held it up to the light and both sides of the bearing seem to be equidistant from the arms. I'm glad yours seems to be rolling better after oiling, though.

We are describing the same thing differently. Mine rolls but feels choppy like you describe as well. 

Corey did reply and said this is fine and has no effect on how it functions but if there was ever an issue he would take care of it. 

Edited by brian45acp

I've had my Gen 1 Scheel RDBS in my ATI PCC for almost a year and many thousands of rounds.  From day 1 it has been a soft shooting low bounce system. I saw on several posts saying it is difficult or hard to charge. I can't imagine what would cause that issue. I can reach out with my index finger only and fully cycle the charging handle with VERY little effort. It's about the same effort required to charge my AR-22's. I'm using the heavier of the two recoil springs and one heavy and one medium spring in the main buffer device. The rollers in my system spin freely with no wobble or gritty feel. I followed the directions exactly and I couldn't be more pleased that I bought it. My PCC load is a 147 grain plated bullet that chronos at a 150PF.

10 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

The buffer is MUCH stiffer when brand new than after the break in process. 

It’s hard(ish) to charge until then with most of the spring configurations. 

I think that's the case. Mine isn't broken in yet and in addition to that, I have a Hiperfire trigger which adds to the forward pressure on the bolt.

just got my gen 2 in today and pieced the lower together and stuck my temporary 16" upper on.  Going to break it in tomorrow.  Took BCG weight out, using 2 heavy and 1 light spring with some 147 grain factory ammo.  Mainly just shoot 124-147 grain factory so should be pretty consistent.  Will bring buffer spring set with me to try some combos out if I have time.

51 minutes ago, Jrcnky said:

just got my gen 2 in today and pieced the lower together and stuck my temporary 16" upper on.  Going to break it in tomorrow.  Took BCG weight out, using 2 heavy and 1 light spring with some 147 grain factory ammo.  Mainly just shoot 124-147 grain factory so should be pretty consistent.  Will bring buffer spring set with me to try some combos out if I have time.

Give us a post range trip report, please?

17 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Give us a post range trip report, please?

dead trigger. Click but no bang.  Couldn't get it figured out at range.  Same upper including BCG ran fine with other lower the other day.  Took weight out of bolt and installed as per instructions.  Someone was saying I may need to back it in more against buffer, as they had a similar issue with their AR9 where the bcg had enough space to move in upper and caused same dead trigger with him.

Will try to adjust and see tonight and take it to indoor range tomorrow.

Edited by Jrcnky
16 minutes ago, Jrcnky said:

dead trigger. Click but no bang.  Couldn't get it figured out at range.  Same upper including BCG ran fine with other lower the other day.  Took weight out of bolt and installed as per instructions.  Someone was saying I may need to back it in more against buffer, as they had a similar issue with their AR9 where the bcg had enough space to move in upper and caused same dead trigger with him.

Will try to adjust and see tonight and take it to indoor range tomorrow.

Pic of how your rollers are resting in the tube cutout would be helpful. 

With the upper/lower split, the buffer should be protruding slighting forward of the tube. If not, you’ll need another turn in on the buffer tube. 

2 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

With the upper/lower split, the buffer should be protruding slighting forward of the tube. If not, you’ll need another turn in on the buffer tube. 

Thanks. will try to get to pic and upload, but it looked like all the images I've seen. I'll start with making sure it doesn't need to just be turned in one more rotation.  Literally right when I felt it hit the BCG during install I backed it out one, so I'm hoping that's all it is.

Appreciate the quick reply. Was a real bummer as I was talking it up to a few buddies between stages and at end of match we gathered in the bay.....and nothing.

2 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

think it was my firing pin. took it out and looked odd so took spring off to see if it would protrude enough to strike and it's not even making it to the hole.  Probably snapped it last night when I forgot to remove it when taking out the bcg weight.