Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everglades mrh holster- any opinions, experiences??

Ozy

You'll see my comments in the thread George linked to.  I will say that so far my EMR smoothly handled two Open gun with STI ploy grips, an SVI grip, and two Cheely e2 grips.  It also hold my square trigger 1911 Open gun.  All drew, or draw smoothly.  That reminds me.  I still have my old DAA Racemaster and Alpha X holsters.  I should sell them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 sitting in boxes in my basement. For me, they were digging into my thigh, painful/very uncomfortable after a full day or multi days. I also didn’t like the way it scratched up the bottom of my dust cover. I also didn’t like the way the rollers which are magnets would collect metal shavings and bind up. I’m back to the Alpha X.

5 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I have 2 sitting in boxes in my basement. For me, they were digging into my thigh, painful/very uncomfortable after a full day or multi days. I also didn’t like the way it scratched up the bottom of my dust cover. I also didn’t like the way the rollers which are magnets would collect metal shavings and bind up. I’m back to the Alpha X.

I used mine for the first time last weekend. I will agree it’s not nearly as comfortable to wear as it does indeed dig in the thigh. I can probably remedy that somehow. The thing that bugs me the most is the lock lever. The DAA’s are far superior in that regard. Hard to reach all the way down so I need to take my hand off the gun to lock/unlock. 
BUT, that being said, there is zero gun wobble like there is with my AlphaX and the draw and holster is much much smoother

I waited and waited for Everglades to get the MRH back in stock, which they claimed they would this Spring. I gave up and ordered the new Safariland 015 based on the recommendation of a great local shooter and honestly cannot imagine a better holster. 

I switched from the DAA holsters and have no regrets. It is solid and holds the gun really well. No hang ups on release. I have had no issues with the lock, I just make sure that it is secure (as far down as it can go) before trying to lock. The thigh pad does not dig into me but I imagine there are all kinds of different body shapes out there, so maybe it is more comfortable for some and not for others. I purchased all of the upgrades. 

I know of one GM who has switched as well and he really likes it. 

I agree the thigh pad on the Alpha-X is more comfortable.  However, I radiused the edges of the EMH thigh pad and I don't notice it anymore.  You can attach the pad in two orientations.  Experiment with both.  I'll also note that no block for the Alpha-X works with Cheely e2 grips as well as the EMH.

I was a huge fan of the DAA Racer/Racemaster/Alpha X. I still think it's one of the best holster options once you've got it set up and loctited. Used it with basically every grip made, polymer or steel, and if you're running a less popular grip it takes a little fiddling to find the insert that works best for some of the trigger guard profiles out there. 

Locked in, the DAA is pretty solid. The holster itself has minimal presence on my belt compared to some monsters like the Safariland 014 or even the MRH. Draw is pretty smooth and it's the bar by which I measure other holsters.

That said, the MRH is a smoother/easier/more forgiving draw. The gun basically flies out of it compared to the DAA, and the DAA has a good draw. I have a slight rocking motion with a buddy's SV trigger guard, but my SV with traditional profile is a better fit. 

I run the thigh pad. Absolutely necessary with my body. MRH also wears larger on the belt compared to the DAA, but not quite as large as the 014. Adjustment is great, feels better than the DAA approach.

I have seen just a little more contact wear on the bottom of my frame with the MRH compared to the DAA, but I'm currently using a gun with a very delicate finish compared to cerakote/dlc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 10:55 AM, Blockader said:

I waited and waited for Everglades to get the MRH back in stock, which they claimed they would this Spring. I gave up and ordered the new Safariland 015 based on the recommendation of a great local shooter and honestly cannot imagine a better holster. 

I did the same thing. Every thread I read about the Everglades holster made them sound like God's gift to holsters. After searching for one new or used, I eventually tried calling Everglades as well to no avail. Once I came to the conclusion that I was too late to the game to own the unicorn holster, I "settled" on a Safariland 015. I wish I had gave up sooner. I love this thing.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:33 AM, Sarge said:

I used mine for the first time last weekend. I will agree it’s not nearly as comfortable to wear as it does indeed dig in the thigh. I can probably remedy that somehow. The thing that bugs me the most is the lock lever. The DAA’s are far superior in that regard. Hard to reach all the way down so I need to take my hand off the gun to lock/unlock. 
BUT, that being said, there is zero gun wobble like there is with my AlphaX and the draw and holster is much much smoother

The thigh pad is the fix for digging into your hip.

Put the lock lever at the half position. Its still locked but reachable with your finger.If you like it you can block it from going all the a\way down.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:44 AM, Silverscooby27 said:

If they are in good shape Ill give you 1/2 price for both. I love these things

• 2 months later...

Anyone ever put a rubber coating on the MRH magnets to help with the rubbing on the dust cover? Currently using scotch tape over the roller but looking for a better option. The MRH is smooth as silk on the draw. Better than the DAA by far.

Had one for over year and dryfire daily. The thigh pad digs in initially. You can put a furniture foam pad on it, but I don't notice it anymore.

Looking at my gun now, it has worn some of the DLC from the dust cover and trigger guard.

I like it. Does it's job and I don't have to think about it.

22 hours ago, steveac1 said:

Anyone ever put a rubber coating on the MRH magnets to help with the rubbing on the dust cover? Currently using scotch tape over the roller but looking for a better option. The MRH is smooth as silk on the draw. Better than the DAA by far.

I use a small peace of duck tape over the dust cover or electric tape if it is DLC coated 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I run one of these and it works great.  This is the first "open" style holster ive used so i cannot compare it against others.  I just had to really take the time to make sure it was adjusted properly.  Also make sure youre using the proper hex wrench to tighten the screws.  When i forst got mine i used a hex wrench that was "SLIGHTLY" too small and i stripped out one of the screws, which gave me a good reason to upgrade to their stainless screws :)