Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium race gun parts

grujo

been tried a few times over the years. It doesnt work out so well, parts gouge eachother. Not worth the tooling cost. Especially for frames that can be made of polymer with steel inserts.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

been tried a few times over the years. It doesnt work out so well, parts gouge eachother. Not worth the tooling cost. Especially for frames that can be made of polymer with steel inserts.

Do you think only Titanium slide,if i machine,will open gun run better,faster?price is not problem,only result

Or stay with regular slide and lighten it max?

On 11/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, grujo said:

Do you think only Titanium slide,if i machine,will open gun run better,faster?price is not problem,only result

Or stay with regular slide and lighten it max?

You’re way over thinking this 

I remember the titanium hammers of the 90's and their "superior lock time". They just didn't hold up.  Caspian made titanium frames for a while, with mixed success, but other than cost, galling was a serious issue.  All in all, good steel, that has been ported/lightened/hollowed, seems to hold up much better

On 11/2/2020 at 1:29 PM, Joe4d said:

This.  

Yes, lighter slide = better when setup correctly for the same reason everyone wants the lightest bolt in an ar.

I’m not sure why a lot of smiths set a lower weight limit of 10 ozs for cut 1911 slides - I think it was just to compensate for poor post preparation of material or perceived “harshness” - I would like to see a super light slide that is re heat treated after being cut and then cryogenically treated.

Titanium has been tried so many times.

The grades of titanium that have been tried just weren’t good enough.  There are newer grades of super metals (even in the category of titanium) that haven’t been tried and that would probably work - but I’m not able to put out specific suggestions.

It would be cool to see how a functioning and reliable 5 oz slide feels to shoot.  Let me know if you are able to figure it out.

It's been tried several times as complete uppers for 1911's, and I believe at least once as a complete gun that only used a couple of 1911 parts.  They used several different methods, but they all wound up with at least 9.5 oz of reciprocating weight.  Any less and reliability suffered.  There have been several designs similar to a S&W 41 or P38 with a fixed barrel and a only a small section of the slide reciprocating using a locking lever like the P38.  Some had dual recoil springs like the P38, others had a single recoil spring.  I think the only one that may actually be in production is the Hogue Avenger and the reciprocating weight is right at 10 oz IIRC.  Slide velocity under 10 oz is too high for the magazines to keep up and if the slide velocity was reduced too much, the lightweight slide didn't retain enough energy to reliably return to battery.

http://198.57.214.134/main/overview/avenger.html

SVI will (or would) build you a Tiki out of Titanium.  Deluxe hideout gun with weird sights, not a high volume match gun.

Caspian has a "carbidizing" surface finish supposed to wear well in titanium.

The last generation of titanium hammers had steel inserts in the hammer hooks for durability of trigger pull. 

Edited by Jim Watson

Titanium galls up like crazy. You’ve got to apply a coating to it, which is difficult to bond because of its oxide. It’s an incredibly difficult and funky material to deal with in every aspect. Nitriding or boriding the surface is likely your best option, but that has its own issues. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 1:17 AM, Hany said:

I remember the titanium hammers of the 90's and their "superior lock time". They just didn't hold up.  Caspian made titanium frames for a while, with mixed success, but other than cost, galling was a serious issue.  All in all, good steel, that has been ported/lightened/hollowed, seems to hold up much better

I still like the titanium hammers and their locktime is very quick. They do tend to wear a bit. I've still got a few stashed.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:03 AM, mpolans said:

I still like the titanium hammers and their locktime is very quick.

Kinda find it hard to believe anyone can actually tell the difference in a couple thousandths of a second.  It's just marketing hype and/or gun writer bs.

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Kinda find it hard to believe anyone can actually tell the difference in a couple thousandths of a second.  It's just marketing hype and/or gun writer bs.

This ^^^^^.  I will admit to using EGW Ti hammer struts and mainspring caps, but that's it.