Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me spend my money on a new USPSA CO Gun

DB_Cooper

22 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

With that budget, I would buy an X5 legion and bolt the deltapoint pro on it. You'd have some cash left for magazines and maybe a grey guns trigger down the road.

I've been leaning towards the X5 legion

10 minutes ago, DB_Cooper said:

I've been leaning towards the X5 legion

It’ll be a more cost effective choice compared to the shadow 2. You can install the DPP on it and you’re good to go. Unless you want to spend more, then buy and install the Gray Guns competition hybrid trigger.

47 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I personally love my shadow 2, but that’s probably not in your price range unless you save for a bit longer or find a decent deal on a used one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up my all black/blue-grip S2 on gunbroker for $915

Shoot what you have and ask others to shoot their guns of the ones you are interested in.  People are pretty generous in letting others shoot their guns.  Or if you have a local range that rents, try the ones you are thinking about. If you decide a gun that is out of your current budget is the one for you you can shoot what you have until you can afford exactly what you want. When I start spending over $800 bucks for a gun I want to make sure it’s exactly what I want. Buy once cry once. 

2 hours ago, DB_Cooper said:

I have $1,000 to spend and currently shoot a Canik TP9sfx with a Leupold DPP. I'm looking to upgrade the gun only and all input is greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend really giving the canik some more time. 

Don't know you or your skill level but ammo and practice is really the only thing that's gonna make you better. 

I do understand just liking one gun better then the others but the gun is a very small part of the game. Give it a few more months of solid practice and see where you are. 

Don't let people fool you into thinking the heavier gun is gonna do anything for your shooting. It's not.

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

Don't let people fool you into thinking the heavier gun is gonna do anything for your shooting. It's not.

i generally agree with this, but different guns do feel a little different. I personally find (as a 1911 and 2011 shooter) that the sig feels very natural, and it's cheap and easy to get a really nice trigger. I'm not familiar with how the canik feels, but I have an xdm that is pretty nice..... just not quite as natural-feeling for me as the sig, probably because I only shot it for a few months in the offseason before going back to a 2011.

bottom line is that effective practice is going to do much more for you than buying a new gun. People actually win matches with glocks, for example...

i generally agree with this, but different guns do feel a little different. I personally find (as a 1911 and 2011 shooter) that the sig feels very natural, and it's cheap and easy to get a really nice trigger. I'm not familiar with how the canik feels, but I have an xdm that is pretty nice..... just not quite as natural-feeling for me as the sig, probably because I only shot it for a few months in the offseason before going back to a 2011.

bottom line is that effective practice is going to do much more for you than buying a new gun. People actually win matches with glocks, for example...

This is a very true statement, in my area we have a master class CO shooter using a mostly stock G19/17 MOS and he kicks my ass every time and I’m Usenet the shadow 2 I love. He is just hands down a better shooter. For now that is....

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Agreed. I would stick with the Canik especially if the shooter is relatively new.

I also agree heavier guns don’t make you a better shooter but they do help in other aspects of the game. One thing I found a lot different is shooting strong hand or non dominant hand only. The heavier gun steadies the dot a bit more for me than a lighter gun. A heavier gun can also have draw backs like transition speed and transitioning past targets due to the inertia of the gun. With everything in life when you gain something you tend to give up something. 

try a freedomsmith racer trigger in that canik before you give it up, makes a big diff.  and yeah what boomstick said, ask everyone at your next match if you can fondle if not shoot their guns after the match.  best way to see what would work best for you.

7 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I don't think we're really disagreing here. I didn't say a different gun isn't going to feel better or more natural. I'm just saying that the weight alone isn't going to make anyone a better shooter. A lot of shooters think the weight is something that makes their score better. Most go thru this thought process at some point. It sounds like the OP is thinking he needs a heavier gun. I'm taking some liberties here with that assumption but he's also asked about a tanfo, another heavy gun. 

In my opinion/experience, a person can get used to almost anything. Assuming there's not any physical issues like the gun being too small for someone's large hands, the feeling of awkward can become very normal feeling with trigger time. If you shoot gun x for a year and you pick up gun y, it's probably gonna feel weird. You might just think the gun you've been shooting just feels better.  Put in the time and and a different gun can become very comfortable and feel better. 

If someone wants to buy another gun because they're just not bonding with their current gun, I definitely can relate. Been there. 

If the OP could add some info. What is it he's looking for?  Is there anything specific he'd like to see on the new gun that the TP9SFX is missing? That could help. I've shot them all. I'm currently shooting the Canik so I might be able to make some suggestions for that gun. 

Edited by B_RAD

2 hours ago, davsco said:

try a freedomsmith racer trigger in that canik before you give it up, makes a big diff.  and yeah what boomstick said, ask everyone at your next match if you can fondle if not shoot their guns after the match.  best way to see what would work best for you.

I put a Freedomsmith trigger in my last Canik, definitely a huge improvement over the stock trigger. Great guns for the money. 

I don't think we're really disagreing here. I didn't say a different gun isn't going to feel better or more natural. I'm just saying that the weight alone isn't going to make anyone a better shooter. A lot of shooters think the weight is something that makes their score better. Most go thru this thought process at some point. It sounds like the OP is thinking he needs a heavier gun. I'm taking some liberties here with that assumption but he's also asked about a tanfo, another heavy gun. 

In my opinion/experience, a person can get used to almost anything. Assuming there's not any physical issues like the gun being too small for someone's large hands, the feeling of awkward can become very normal feeling with trigger time. If you shoot gun x for a year and you pick up gun y, it's probably gonna feel weird. You might just think the gun you've been shooting just feels better.  Put in the time and and a different gun can become very comfortable and feel better. 

If someone wants to buy another gun because they're just not bonding with their current gun, I definitely can relate. Been there. 

If the OP could add some info. What is it he's looking for?  Is there anything specific he'd like to see on the new gun that the TP9SFX is missing? That could help. I've shot them all. I'm currently shooting the Canik so I might be able to make some suggestions for that gun. 

The problem with the Canik is it only reliably cycles 124 gr NATO rounds, I can’t shoot anything else in it.

27 minutes ago, DB_Cooper said:

The problem with the Canik is it only reliably cycles 124 gr NATO rounds, I can’t shoot anything else in it.

Yeah. It's over sprung. Just about every gun is though. 

You can get a ruduced power RSA from century arms. Or you can buy aftermarket setups. 

I'm using a ZRS tactical guide rod. It's for the Walther Q5SF. I'm using a wilson flat wire 15# 1911 spring. A stock Glock (5.5#) striker spring and a Glock reduced power striker block spring. I've added the freedoomsmith pro trigger and I've added a #2 split ring on the back of the stock trigger return spring. This gives the best trigger pull of any production gun out there. It's as good as a CZ SA pull but it's SA all the time. 

Saying that, the stock trigger is very good. I'd recommend just trying the lighter RSA. Call up century arms and tell them your issue. The RSA is around $20. They do send you a reduced and a standard one which is dumb but oh well. 

4 hours ago, DB_Cooper said:

wow i've had stuff from fed 124 fmj to blazer aluminum 147 fmj run fine thru it with zero issues.