Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire pistol choice

TFin04

I have a Ruger mark III with a tacsol upper and a Ruger Mark 3 22/45 lite that belongs to my wife. The Ruger lite models are as good as the Tacsol upgrades. Reliability is the #1 thing for steel challenge and the Tigers have been reliable.  These are awesome pistols with a huge aftermarket. Volquartsen triggers are about 1.5-2 lbs. The buckmark is very nice, too but has a smaller aftermarket. 

From what I've heard, the mark IV is even better since it's easier to take apart. 

ef103de28bb403a07d9aea110a1acd1f.jpg

I started with 2 Ruger 22/45 Mk III's.  One 5 1/2" with aftermarket sights for RFPI and one 4 1/4" threaded with an Alchin C-More mount & a 12 MOA Slide Ride, RFPO.  Both had Volquartsen fire control groups and extractor/firing pins.  Both ran good with HV ammo, CCI Mini Mags, and the RFPO run would run CCI SV if it was warm.

I recently switched to a Volquartsen Scorpion.  I like the 22/45 frame, but I wanted the metal (aluminum) frame the Scorpion offers.  I think you get a better, more consistent, trigger with a metal frame over the plastic Ruger frames.  Most folks will let you try their pistols after a match, and before I bought the Volks, I tried Rugers and Browning with Tac Sol uppers and well as several 1911/2011 22 LR conversions.  I liked the conversions, but went the lazy way with the Scorpion.  It runs CCI MM, SV's and Blazers.  I didn't want to have to trouble shoot a conversion.  I nice young man who shoots RFRO very well (first under 60 second 8 stage match),  let me shoot his Scorpion, and I ordered one the following Monday.

20191109_121915_resized.jpg

Edited by cferree

Ruger Mkiii 22/45 for me. 

It's been upgraded with gizmos and gadgets of course, but the most important part is that it's reliable and accurate with Federal auto match 325 packs, so the cost to shoot and practice is minimal. 

I shoot a Ruger Mark III with VQ and Tandem Kross upgrade parts.  A local guy sells a nice magwell for the target version, with magazine extensions included, so that is what I use.  Really smooths and speeds up reloading

He now has some for other models as well:  

http://mddracing.net/magwells-for-the-ruger-mark-iii-and-mark-iv.html  

Switched to a MK IV last year. I’m very happy. It’s taking a little getting used to using an optic, but the low mount was a huge help. TK trigger and grips, Volquartsen bolt and fire control set.

9581332eb5853b73d2f04e56692a6e65.jpg

I ran a Mk II slab side for years before. The gun was super reliable but the grip always felt different than my limited 2011.

c397d2e5082ebf2c761170369ed7b66c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I settled on the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite with all the Volquartsen options I could find.  It's now a Black Mamba and shoots great.  I run Eley Practice from it mostly but anything I try shoots well.   My backup is a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 L also with all internal VQ parts.

with red background.jpg

I'll address the four options you mentioned above.  Full race Ruger Mark III.  Was not 100% reliable.  Feeding issues that could not be resolved by polishing the feed ramp and tuning the mags.  Full race Buckmark.  Had a professional 2 lb. trigger job, Tacsol barrel, Al grips, custom scope rail, etc.  Ran 100% for a season and a half, then started misfeeding.  Cannot figure out why.  Tried new mags (as with the Ruger) and no help.  I have shot the Victory only once.  I see a lot of them at matches.  A friend has one that he thoroughly customized using Volquartsen parts.  He has been shooting it all season and it runs 100%.  The factory race gun to buy is the Hammeli X-esse.  Great trigger, super accurate, and the mags run 100% without tweaking.  You literally do not have to do anything to it for Steel Challenge, except mount an optic if you want to shoot Open.  The X-esse using the European rail mount, but it is easy to find mounts for it.  I shot that gun four three seasons.  I wanted to try something different, so I sold it.  Mistake.

I only shoot 22 conversions now, because they run 100% and there are no mag issues.  BTW, I owned a Voquartsen Scorpoin.  IMO it was  POS.  I sold it less than six months after I bought it.  If I were starting over again I would do the following.  If I just wanted to buy a gun that ran, it would be the X-esse.  If I was willing to upgrade, or pay someone else to do it, I'd buy a Mark IV 22/45 Lite and put a trigger kit in.  That is really the only thing you need to change.  Buy lots of mags, tune them, and sell any that are not 100%.

If you are willing to spend a little more, a Victory with a full Volquartsen upgrade (everything but the receiver) is a good bet.  Be aware that making turning a stock Ruger (except the Lite), Buckmark or Victory into a full on race gun will cost you more than The X-esse.

If you own a 1911 45, my recommendation would be to buy a complete CWA 22 upper for it.  It will run 100%, as will the mags.  I've been shooting that for the last two seasons, and highly recommend it.

54 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you own a 1911 45, my recommendation would be to buy a complete CWA 22 upper for it.  It will run 100%, as will the mags.  I've been shooting that for the last two seasons, and highly recommend it.

I use a 22/45 with Volquartsen trigger and stock mags.  I've never had to tune a Ruger mag.

zzt - paste a pic of your CWA if possible.

2 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I use a 22/45 with Volquartsen trigger and stock mags.  I've never had to tune a Ruger mag.

Sooner or later you will.  I don't have a pic of the conversion handy.  Here is a pic from the website.  If I were doing it again I'd buy the 5.7" barrel with two port slip on comp )no threads).  That way I could shoot in NJ without someone who doesn't know any better hassling me about threaded barrels.

1911-22 CONVERSION KITS

I shoot a Ruger 22/45 Mk III in open and a Scorpion in RFPI.  I have a ton of ruger magazines that I've tweaked for best performance in the cold and so I'm not in a rush to change much.  I might get a second scorpion to run optics or just get another Volquartsen lower to give the same grip frame feel.  I like how the 90 Deg mount puts the dot so nicely low that there has not been any difference in presentation for me between irons and dot.  Primarily I shoot irons, so having a dot that presents the same has been useful. 

The CWA wide body is very, very attractive.  A friend is getting one and I am sure I'll borrow it in practice a couple of times.  The magazines are excellent and the reports are extremely positive about the build quality in general.

The Buckmarks seem to either run really well or not at all.  

Have only seen a couple of Victory guns, and they all went bang.  Just not my cup of tea at this point.

So... no major changes for equipment this coming season, but after WSSC?  Who knows....

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info provided. 

Still have no idea what I'm going to buy, but it's good info nonetheless. 😂

I'm gonna shoot a match this weekend with my 10/22 and try to check out a few different options then. 

On 1/5/2020 at 4:26 PM, TFin04 said:

What do you shoot and why? Seems the common three are all well liked, just wondering what might cause someone to pick one over the other. 

Browning Buck Mark.  The Victory was not available when I was looking for a .22 pistol.  So, it was between the Ruger and the Browning.  The Buck Mark felt more balanced in my hand, so I went with it.  After finding a local club that held .22 matches, my Buck Mark seemed to run as well or better than any of the other model pistols.  So, I have stuck with them.  Only thing I needed to do to make it a "race-gun" was change out the extractor as the only issue from the factory was an occasional stovepipe ~300 rounds.  Switched out the extractor with a TANDEMKROSS "Eagle's Talon" extractor.  Now, I may get a stovepipe every 2,000-3,000 rounds are so.  

On 1/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, zzt said:

If you own a 1911 45, my recommendation would be to buy a complete CWA 22 upper for it. 

These are good uppers. Mine is very reliable and accurate. My brother shoots Bullseye with his. My Marvel is also great.

I had a Victory that was 100% with any ammo and accurate, too. I just couldn't get used to the grip.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 7:12 PM, TFin04 said:

Thanks guys. I guess I should clarify, I will be buying a Ruger, Browning, or Victory and upgrading from there (or buying a factory race gun). I'm not ready to jump in to a pre built VQ or TacSol gun yet. 

I shoot (A Class RFPO) a Ruger MKIV. It strips and cleans very easily, and cleanliness is important for reliability with a .22LR blowback pistol. It's also impossible to reassemble the gun incorrectly from a thorough field strip cleaning. I added a Volquartsen trigger (2.75 lbs), and a Ruger Picitinny top mount... not expensive.  I added Volquartsen grips, a bit more expense, but the basic gun was still well under $1000. On a .22 rimfire pistol, just about anyone's reflex sight will hold up. The G-forces aren't there. I have used Trijicon, Burris FFIII, J Point, and currently love the SIGs. As for ammo, I'm real happy with CCI Standard Velocity... not expensive and quite accurate.

Edited by GOF
missed a comma

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, boudreux said:

Does anybody have any input on the SW 22 Victory performance center? 

I've never seen anyone shoot one.  All I see are bone stock Victorys or those that have been moded out the wazoo with Volquartsen goodies and barrels.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:48 PM, mchapman said:

These are the two I use.

22-4.jpg

v22.JPG

Please tell me what you think about that PC victory. I’m really interested in buying that exact same one. Do you have any issues with it? Does it run everything or is it picky? How accurate is the barrel? Really appreciate the information. Thanks

So far it has run flawless with 2-3000 rounds threw it. Trigger is good, I put the CMORE on it and the Halo Ring. The only down side to me is the oversized mag release  I have hit accidently and dropped the mag out a few times while shooting it. I use it for steel challenge so I'm  not reloading on the clock and don't really need the over size release.