Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

So for $200 we get a plastic primer collator with a thoughtless edge of table design, which only handles SPP,  needs ramp lubing, ramp scoring, two disk versions, cleaning after every 1500ish primers, post-it note shims and I still get the occasional upside down primer? Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, Slavex owns the only perfectly functioning unit 🙄, lol.

Edited by 4n2t0

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

So for $200 we get a plastic primer collator with a thoughtless edge of table design, which only handles SPP,  needs ramp lubing, ramp scoring, two disk versions, cleaning after every 1500ish primers, post-it note shims and I still get the occasional upside down primer? Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, Slavex owns the only perfectly functioning unit 🙄, lol.

😂 that sums it up it a 🥜 shell

Just got mine this evening.  I only had a few minutes to test it.  I tried winchesters first and they didn't work at all.  Barely got to the ramp and when they did, they got stuck in the hole that's supposed to feed into the tube. Winchesters gives my rf100 some issues as well, but not as bad as the DAA.  I recently switched to CCI which run almost perfectly (feed great but have a rare upside down one) in the rf100.  I tried CCI's in the DAA and they seem to work perfectly.  I only loaded 100 a few times but they all fed pretty quickly and didn't have any upside down.  I didn't lube anything yet either.  I hope it continues to work like this.  I won't be letting go of the rf100 just yet.  

We already have a $370 primer filler that may or may not work. Now we get a plastic $200 filler that needs post it notes to maybe work sometimes. What We need a $500 unit that works 100%. I’m willing to pay if it works 100%. As most high volume and/or automated reloaders will as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran another 6500 rounds today. Started with a clean primer pro. Slowly but surely it would take longer and longer to fill the tube, until it couldn’t keep up with my press running at 2000 RPH. 

Things were mostly good for the first ~1000 rounds, by 1500 it was barely keeping up. By ~2000 I would have to stop and clean and lube the primer disk. In the course of 6500 rounds, I had to clean and lube 3 times. The last 200 rounds were excruciating, but I wanted to finish, not stop and clean. I’d say it was down to 10-15 primers per minute by then. 

I tried the post it “fix”, didn’t seem to make any difference. I’m pretty sure I didn’t have a single upside down primer. Which is great. From what I’ve seen, Winchester primers are hit and miss with the PP. 

The screws that hold the primer disk on are already starting to slightly strip out. I’ve probably had the thing apart 15-20 times between adjusting and cleaning. I don’t think it’s gonna go another 15-20 before some of them give out. 

Not sure what I’m gonna do. When the thing is clean it runs great. Right now though I don’t see the thing holding up to heavy use. 

It's evident from the stand point of quality and material this thing is not made for Heavy use. It's for your weekend  relaoder, 500 to 1k loads per session, then take apart and clean.. You get what you pay for. It is what it is.. 

Not sure why you'd be taking it apart for cleaning? I used Qtips, from inside the bowl, took maybe a minute to clean it. I've only done that once though, haven't needed to since the first time I wiped it down with Pledge. 

2 hours ago, slavex said:

Not sure why you'd be taking it apart for cleaning? I used Qtips, from inside the bowl, took maybe a minute to clean it. I've only done that once though, haven't needed to since the first time I wiped it down with Pledge. 

I tried that and it wasn't very effective. I'm pretty sure my problem is build up at the ledge that is in the channel. Jamming a QTip in there doesn't seem to get that clean enough. I think my main problem is that the PP doesn't work well with  winchester primers. Problem is, I have at least 100k stockpiled.  What brand primers do you use?

I emailed DAA Monday for a RMA to return the collator, it will not even get primers to the chute. Still have not heard anything, I figured even with SHOT Show there should be people at DAA to send out the email with a RMA. Now getting pretty unhappy.

2 minutes ago, The Donald said:

I emailed DAA Monday for a RMA to return the collator, it will not even get primers to the chute. Still have not heard anything, I figured even with SHOT Show there should be people at DAA to send out the email with a RMA. Now getting pretty unhappy.

Have you tried calling them?

I feel bad for DAA for how poorly this has gone.   

Mine did extremely poorly with the V1 disk, and just OK with the V2 with S&B SPP.   I tried HBN powder on the ramp and the primers were flying down it so quickly that I could barely see them.   Sadly, that was short lived and at less than 500 primers the ramp started jamming up again. 

39 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Why? If they had thoroughly tested the product before release none of this would have happened.

This. 

I have a bunch of DAA products. Belt and Racemaster pouches/holster still perform well.  However, I would summarize many of their recent efforts as: good ideas, mediocre (at best) execution, cheapest material possible

Mine did extremely poorly with the V1 disk, and just OK with the V2 with S&B SPP.   I tried HBN powder on the ramp and the primers were flying down it so quickly that I could barely see them.   Sadly, that was short lived and at less than 500 primers the ramp started jamming up again. 
Thanks. I was wondering if dry graphite or WS2 would work better than spray.

Why? If they had thoroughly tested the product before release none of this would have happened.
Including getting quite a few out into the real world for testing. Maybe they did, but based on responses here.. I doubt it.

the problem is the  number of different primer brands out there. They are all slightly different in both size and coatings. From what Ive seen, they only tested with 5-10 different brands. 

Edited by Rich406

2 hours ago, DWFAN said:
13 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

Thanks. I was wondering if dry graphite or WS2 would work better than spray.

I dusted my feed ramp with graphite and have run about 5k primers through it with no issues other than not being able to get the last 10-12 primers to drop out of the bowl. 

Haven't done the score mod yet but will if the stick feed ramp comes back.