Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I have 100 Winchester small pistol primers in the hopper.  They're getting picked up by the rotating plate, but apparently they stay there.  They never get dropped at the ramp.  It's the same with both plates.  I think the light sensor just turns the hammer off when you get to 99 so it doesn't overfill.

If the light sensor is counting primers slipping over it, it should stay running until 99 primers have gone over it.

So, far all of the people complaining about their Dillon RF100, here is a sample video of what mine does. I only had to adjust the tilt of the unit and then a minor adjustment to the inlet cover (not the main cover) a couple of years ago: 

Just in case memories are short.  The Dillon works perfectly and even better, Dillon will tune them personally for your type of primer, if you are having any issues. This falls under the "no B.S." guarantee. 

20 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

So, far all of the people complaining about their Dillon RF100, here is a sample video of what mine does. I only had to adjust the tilt of the unit and then a minor adjustment to the inlet cover (not the main cover) a couple of years ago: 

Just in case memories are short.  The Dillon works perfectly and even better, Dillon will tune them personally for your type of primer, if you are having any issues. This falls under the "no B.S." guarantee. 

Looks just like my RF100... with zero tuning other than running it slow.  And it works flawless with CCI, Federals, and S&Bs.   

No lube, not sawing needles, no cleaning.  

29 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

That’s pretty slick but too slow and I could never trust it to set it and forget it. I would have to watch it run so it would not be for me.

I installed the V2 plate, cleaned the bowl, had over 200 primers in the bowl. Ran off till the light on the ramp flashed, had only 8 primers in the tube. Reset and ran a second batch, got 9 in the tube. This thing can barely feed anything to the ramp.

One thing I am not doing is changing primers I use, so unless anyone here has any ideas what I can not get the primers to ramp, it is going back. Sorry just tired of fooling with this.

15 minutes ago, The Donald said:

I installed the V2 plate, cleaned the bowl, had over 200 primers in the bowl. Ran off till the light on the ramp flashed, had only 8 primers in the tube. Reset and ran a second batch, got 9 in the tube. This thing can barely feed anything to the ramp.

One thing I am not doing is changing primers I use, so unless anyone here has any ideas what I can not get the primers to ramp, it is going back. Sorry just tired of fooling with this.

Same for me.  Tried everything that they recommended except for scoring the ramp (which doesn't really matter because barely any primers are making it there anyway), and it doesn't work.  So it's back in the box while I wait for a RMA.  Glad I still have my PAL filler.

I received mine today and right out of the box primers would not slide down the ramp at all. So I lubed it per on line instructions with silicone. Didn’t work so I sanded the ramp with 600 grit and that didn’t work. I’m thinking this whole thing is a waste of money. The challenge made me think, what about lubing the ramp with graphite dry lube? Well that did the trick and the primers, I use Federal SP, dropped freely to the tube.

I used version 2 disk initially and it was so slow I think I fell asleep.  So I switched back to version 1 and the primers flew down the ramp.

Carefully watching 1000 Federal primers I had 1 inverted primer. Switched back to V2 plate again and it was like watching a golf game on TV. So back to V1 and after 500 primers zero,0, inverted. 

To summarize, it is better than the Franklin Vibra Prime I normally use to load my tubes, but it cost almost 10xs more. The worst part is it didn’t run out of the box and required the graphite lube. 

Would I buy it again? Maybe. 

Edited by HesedTech

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Same for me.  Tried everything that they recommended except for scoring the ramp (which doesn't really matter because barely any primers are making it there anyway), and it doesn't work.  So it's back in the box while I wait for a RMA.  Glad I still have my PAL filler.

Same here with back in the box. I emailed DAA this morning saying that it needs to go back and I want a full refund.  Thay was after stating all of the problems I'm experiencing.  I even sent my video. 

No response as of yet. 

Edited by Stymie12000

So after getting the primer pro running. I used it tonight to load 2100 rounds.

at first it was working great, but over time it got slower and slower. Around 1500-1600 rounds into the session, the primer pro started to not keep up with my presss running at 1800 RPH.  At 2000ish it was unusable, 2-5 primers would make it to the ramp per 30 seconds.

On a positive note, I don’t think there was even 1 upside down primer. I was using the v2 plate with Winchester SPP.

IMO this thing is too high maintenance. It took a considerable amount of messing around to get the thing to run right. And there is no question this thing must be clean and lubed to run right. The more it ran, the dirtier and slower it got.

My rf100 probably averages 1-2 upside down primers per 100, which sucks. I’ve never been able to get it running 100%. 

The PP Has no upside down primers, but probably needs to be cleaned and lubed every 1500 rounds. 

Neither is a perfect solution...

Hi Guys,

to those having output speed issues with the V2 disk, but have inverted primers with the V1 disk, there is one other fix you could try that a customer came up with for his primers ( believe they were winchester) as he was having that issue. What he did was used disk 2, but spaced the disks out a hair by introducing a spacer between them. this allowed him the benefit of the tighter "bend" format in the track V2 has, but with more space to get primers through faster.

using the sticky part of a post-it cut into little squares, he placed those as shown in the picture and then assembled again. this spaces the timing disk up by about 0.05mm and can make all the difference for particular primers.

you could use a small piece of tape, or a piece of a target patch just as well. a small increase in the gap will increase output speed! Note the position in the picture these stickers need to go! NOT further out on the height stap, as that area does not contact the Timing Disk.

Give it a try if you are having issues with your primer of choice.

Saul

primer disk spacing.jpg

I got mine today. I tried some CCI SP with V1 but I got 2-3 upside down per 100. Then I switched to V2 and got 1-2 per 300. Still too much in my opinion. An error rate of 1 out of 1000 would be tolerable for me.
I will continue to test and also try some S&B primers.

My question is why didn’t daa use the same materials as the bullet feeder. I know it would’ve cost more but to have a 100% working product I would’ve paid more. And to me to post a fix being cutting up paper post it’s to get it to maybe work probably will make the kinds of people like myself on the fence about getting one not. To many fixes to get it to somewhat work and having to clean it do much I think I could load tubes fast enough that it’s not worth the hassle. If you have to watch it that it’s working than what’s the point. I hope daa comes out with a better version made with better quality parts that works because I and many other shooters would get it. Until than I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Have a lot of daa stuff but I think the primer pro missed the mark.