Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Rifleman Articles

I have to give those test pistol test shooters a lot of credit, when i read the articles on pistols they test and show ammo and groups at 25yds, they are excellent shooters,  i would love to have these guys shoot some of my 9mm. especially my Shadow 2

chet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When reading american articles about handgunds I am always baffled cause they usually shoot groups to 10 yards. I think the standard range everywhere else for handguns is 25 meters = 27,3 yards. I think 25m groups tell a whole lot more and also it teaches the shooter a lot more about what he is doing wrong. Here in Finland even the 18 year old military conscripts start from 25 meters and they usually havent done any shooting before. I dont get it, why go for 10 yards?

25 minutes ago, Slowmisses said:

When reading american articles about handgunds I am always baffled cause they usually shoot groups to 10 yards. I think the standard range everywhere else for handguns is 25 meters = 27,3 yards. I think 25m groups tell a whole lot more and also it teaches the shooter a lot more about what he is doing wrong. Here in Finland even the 18 year old military conscripts start from 25 meters and they usually havent done any shooting before. I dont get it, why go for 10 yards?

Depends on the gun and its intended use. Concealed carry is popular in the US, and many guns are small concealed carry compact size. 10 yards is about max for a civilian CC encounter. So thats what the magazines test them at. Compared to larger service size pistols. 
Although I take all of these magazine reviews with a grain of salt. Lots of junk on the market with bad ergonomics, poor reliability, bad triggers, bad fit,,, Yet I dont recall there ever being a bad review.

9 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

many guns are small concealed carry compact size. 10 yards is about max for a civilian CC encounter. So thats what the magazines test them at. Compared to larger service size pistols

The test the "pocket pistols" at 10 - 15 yards, but they test the full sized pistols at 25 yards (not meters).   :) 

Pocket pistols do NOT fare very well in the accuracy dep't at 25 yards.   :( 

• 10 months later...

I stopped believing gun reviews not long after I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny.

I like the... "I stepped to the line with my Whammy zoomo holster, field band shirt, and shot 100 rounds. Six were flyers caused by bees near my face, the 11 jams were ammo and aftermarket mag related, as well as a dirty chamber..."  I really NEVER read a bad review. Not one. They are feeding on the teat of advertisers and simply cannot be trusted. 

52 minutes ago, gnappi said:

I stopped believing gun reviews not long after I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny.

I like the... "I stepped to the line with my Whammy zoomo holster, field band shirt, and shot 100 rounds. Six were flyers caused by bees near my face, the 11 jams were ammo and aftermarket mag related, as well as a dirty chamber..."  I really NEVER read a bad review. Not one. They are feeding on the teat of advertisers and simply cannot be trusted. 

^^

how to write a gun review 101

I dont think so. Waste of resources IMO. I turned off Frontsight decade or so ago when I was a member. NRA  I think they had an option to turn off magazines,  as I dont get them anymore for some reason. Did get the card so looks like they have my address. 
When I was an AERC member ( horse endurance racing) Board was always crying about budget,,, People kept telling them to stop with the printed magazine. To my knowledge they are still sending the things out.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:13 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

Are gun magazines even relevant in 2020?

Absolutely! I'm a life member and I get them for free by gum... whether or not I read the "reviews" is another story! 

10 hours ago, gnappi said:

Absolutely! I'm a life member and I get them for free by gum... whether or not I read the "reviews" is another story! 

I'm a life member of the NRA.  I also stop by the trash can in the garage with the mail on my way into the house.  Guess what goes into the can along with all the junk mail?

I also pay $25 in USPSA membership fees because I don't find any value in their magazine either.

I dropped quite a few over the years. Field & Stream really grinds me with their “best picks”. Let’s just select the most expensive equipment made and give it our number one vote. For a younger person wanting to get into outdoor sports there’s no way that they could afford some of the stuff they push. NRA mag is as bad. I also have to laugh at some of the groups that they call good in some of the tests. I’ve shot as good or better groups at 100 yards with my SuperRedhawk 44 and a red dot. 

Edited by Farmer

12 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I'm a life member of the NRA.  I also stop by the trash can in the garage with the mail on my way into the house.  Guess what goes into the can along with all the junk mail?

I also pay $25 in USPSA membership fees because I don't find any value in their magazine either.

I agree on both of those as well. Also, both way over do it on female shooters. Get to know this person and that person, first gun you ever shot, blah friggin blah

Writing articles is hard; I’ve read a few of the AR pieces, mostly online and enjoyed those that were related to USPSA/IPSC.

For me, GunGames was the gold-standard for shooting magazines. I think the concept of the printed magazine is antiquated, though there maybe a market for some form of online publication. However, I’ve yet to see a model that would work for the shooting sports,

• 2 weeks later...

Still browse through the NRA magazine and Frontsight, some issues more than others.  I do like the new product info.

The "tests" and shootout comparisons I glance through, but don't take very seriously.