Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If .40 dies one day, what to do with Limited?

On 5/30/2019 at 2:52 PM, Racinready300ex said:

If it comes to that I'd rather see major get dropped and leave minor as it is. Giving minor more points with so little recoil is just going to raise HF's and make everything a hose fest. It would dumb down the game IMO.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:59 PM, motosapiens said:

agreed. I am against *any* such changes, but if I were changing something, it would be to go minor-only, so people would have to learn to shoot.

I think these are good points.  No sense in changing minor...especially since factory ammo will easily make 125 pf.  Either give minor their own divisions (which doesn't make anyone's major gun obsolete)...or just go all minor.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/30/2019 at 6:09 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

> snip <

But seriously, if .40 died and we all had to buy brass from Starline to keep shooting our .40 Limited Major pistols, at that point I think a change would be in order.

> snip <

If .40 becomes as rare as 38 super, what changes would you want to see?  

Just wanted to note ... If you actually had to buy your brass (new) from Starline ... they sell 38 super and 38 super comp both for less than they sell 40 s&w ... 

AND .. they sell 38 special (a competition biggie ... not!!) for less than all of the above??!?

I don't even pick up my 40 brass anymore ... and feel bad when someone does ... and then chases me down to make sure I get it (of course ... when that happens ... I take it w/ a smile and make sure they know I appreciate it).  

Knowing what I know now ... if I were just starting ... I would buy 9mm ...mail order ... in bulk ... shoot it and let it lie (seems to be getting very inexpensive).

Go shoot ... go home and watch TV .. no reloading ... no picking up brass. 😃  

9 hours ago, pete627 said:

Knowing what I know now ... if I were just starting ... I would buy 9mm ...mail order ... in bulk ... shoot it and let it lie (seems to be getting very inexpensive).

Go shoot ... go home and watch TV .. no reloading ... no picking up brass. 😃  

I think this is part of what is helping with the growth in Carry Optics and PCC, production holding steady even though people aren't happy about the 10 round limit, and would contribute to significant growth in limited if limited minor wasn't hurt by the scoring.  Back in the day, we all reloaded but there are a LOT of people that don't want to sit there and pull that crank for hours and to be honest, I have had about enough of it myself.

Edited by Jeff226

2 hours ago, Jeff226 said:

Back in the day, we all reloaded but there are a LOT of people that don't want to sit there and pull that crank for hours and to be honest, I have had about enough of it myself.

Hours? really? My wife and I both shoot, and it takes me 20-25 minutes a day to keep up with 3000-4000 rds/month.

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Hours? really? My wife and I both shoot, and it takes me 20-25 minutes a day to keep up with 3000-4000 rds/month.

You must not empty your powder at the end of each session.  It takes me longer than 25 minutes to fill the powder hopper and check the powder drop.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

You must not empty your powder at the end of each session.  It takes me longer than 25 minutes to fill the powder hopper and check the powder drop. 

Don't use a teaspoon to fill it up and it will be quicker. 

9 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I haven't emptied it since I set the press up 2 years ago, but I don't have meddling kids or anything.

I leave both presses (one with 40, one with 9) ready to roll, so all I have to do is start pulling the handle after I finish my oatmeal. 7-8 mins later after 100 rounds, I stop top, off the primers and bullets and stuff, and take the dogs for a walk, leaving the press ready for the following morning.

Edited by motosapiens

Just one question:

WHY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

43 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

Just one question:

WHY?

My press is in the garage, so I don't want to leave the powder in it.  And I generally only load every couple months or however long it takes me to empty my ammo can (2500ish rounds of 9mm).  If my press was in my air conditioned house, I might do what Moto is doing.

35 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

My press is in the garage, so I don't want to leave the powder in it.  And I generally only load every couple months or however long it takes me to empty my ammo can (2500ish rounds of 9mm).  If my press was in my air conditioned house, I might do what Moto is doing.

Do you store your powder inside the house? If not, it's still subject to the temp fluctuations in the garage. 

Take your powder measure inside the house, no need to empty it. 2 minutes tops.

2 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Do you store your powder inside the house? If not, it's still subject to the temp fluctuations in the garage. 

I"m not worried about temp as much as humidity.  I store my powder inside the original containers, inside another plastic container.

I always empty my powder hopper and take the powder inside but it doesn't take 25 minutes to refill unless I am adjusting the powder bar.

Pour it in, hand cycle the powder bar slide 10 or so times into a small cup. Run 1 case through and weigh it. It is always spot on for me from the beginning.

One of these days i'll make a quick release for the powder hopper to save me reaching around the other side of the press to find the allen key. 

16 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I"m not worried about temp as much as humidity.  I store my powder inside the original containers, inside another plastic container.

is smokeless powder hygroscopic?  I guess I don't really care since I live in a dry climate.  I  literally load 40 almost every single day for a few minutes since 2 of us are practicing and competing every week. If I were to stop for a couple months (like I do with 45, which I only load for a short period every year), I would empty out the press.   and also switch it back to 9mm, and fill it it back up, lol. 

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

is smokeless powder hygroscopic?  I guess I don't really care since I live in a dry climate.  I  literally load 40 almost every single day for a few minutes since 2 of us are practicing and competing every week. If I were to stop for a couple months (like I do with 45, which I only load for a short period every year), I would empty out the press.   and also switch it back to 9mm, and fill it it back up, lol. 

I wish I had the time and even better, the GF/wife shooting partner to make that happen!!  Good for you.....

USPSA competitors will invest in whatever gun, gear, or ammo that will maximize their performance. If 40 cal brass becomes impossible to find and USPSA changes the division rules to make another caliber more viable, then competitors will switch to whatever is the new hotness. Competitors usually don't have issues with buying new stuff, even when its not really needed. Would there be whining? Absolutely. But that whining would be happening while they are shelling out $$$ for whatever the next thing is. Racing anything isn't cheap and nothing lasts forever. These are two realities that will never change. If that is too much for you to handle, then maybe racing stuff isn't the best hobby for you. 

USPSA competitors will invest in whatever gun, gear, or ammo that will maximize their performance. If 40 cal brass becomes impossible to find and USPSA changes the division rules to make another caliber more viable, then competitors will switch to whatever is the new hotness. Competitors usually don't have issues with buying new stuff, even when its not really needed. Would there be whining? Absolutely. But that whining would be happening while they are shelling out $$$ for whatever the next thing is. Racing anything isn't cheap and nothing lasts forever. These are two realities that will never change. If that is too much for you to handle, then maybe racing stuff isn't the best hobby for you. 
True... When I raced dirtbikes I had custom bars, triple clamps, exhaust, rims, seat, case cover, suspension, etc

I was never any good and only raced old and slow class so none of that made me faster but the bike looked good and led to a lot of cool online discussions beyond arguing about jetting and which oil is the best (Rotella).

I vowed not to do that with shooting and shoot FNS mostly which limits the bling potential but I have made up for it in volume :)

I did Cerakote my FNS 40 in a Captain America theme so I haven't gotten away from the sickness completely.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don’t think .40 is ever going away. In a few years, the tide will return to “bigger is better for carry/LEO” and 40/45 will be the standard upon which others are judged. 

Even with all of the craziness over the new 6.5mm short action rifle cartridges, 30-06, 30-30, 308, 223, 243 etc are still easy to find EVERYTHING for. 

The 40 S&W becoming obsolete?  I'm shooting 38 Short Colts in USPSA right now, and have no trouble getting brass.  Plus it lasts forever as I don't lose it cause they're in Moon Clips!