Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If .40 dies one day, what to do with Limited?

On 9/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Revo is a good example of why commercial use of ammo doesn't matter for USPSA. When they started allowing 8 shot minor Revo shooters started loading 38 short colt. When was the last time you saw that on the shelf? How many departments are carrying wheel guns with short colts today?

For our purposes we will spend the money required to get the things we need to compete. 

How is it a good example of that when it consistently has the lowest participation?  How many new competitors are going to flock to USPSA to reload 38 short colt in a revolver? 

Participation is growing in 140mm+ mag divisions where commercial 9mm ammo is not at a scoring disadvantage.  Not a coincidence.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jeff226 said:

How is it a good example of that when it consistently has the lowest participation?  How many new competitors are going to flock to USPSA to reload 38 short colt in a revolver? 

Participation is growing in 140mm+ mag divisions where commercial 9mm ammo is not at a scoring disadvantage.  Not a coincidence.  

It's a good example because when there is demand there will be supply. How about another example. When was the last time you saw 38 super on the shelf? What about 38 super comp? How about 38 TJ? You wont see hardly anyone out side of USPSA shooting these calibers. Yet some how we still find brass. If we want the brass someone will make it, it just wont be as cheap as it is now that's the difference. 

I think it's great that 9mm divisions are doing well, that doesn't mean we should make all the divisions 9mm. Certainly not just because we think some day it might be harder to find brass for 40. We're more likely to end up with more capacity restrictions forced on us from the government then we are to run out of 40 brass. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

We're more likely to end up with more capacity restrictions forced on us from the government then we are to run out of 40 brass. 

I'm guessing there's a <20% chance that this happens Federally and it sticks after Heller, but if it does my Pro/SS fields are finally going to start growing.

17 minutes ago, belus said:

I'm guessing there's a <20% chance that this happens Federally and it sticks after Heller, but if it does my Pro/SS fields are finally going to start growing.

I know this isn't the place for this stuff so we can't get to far off track. But, I can see a lot of things going the way of Bump stocks once the right people are in the right places. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think it's great that 9mm divisions are doing well, that doesn't mean we should make all the divisions 9mm. Certainly not just because we think some day it might be harder to find brass for 40. We're more likely to end up with more capacity restrictions forced on us from the government then we are to run out of 40 brass. 

I agree with that.

In the way back, 40 shooters scrounged for brass as hard as the .38 Super shooters did because it was hard to get.  There are way more .40s made than 38 Supers ever were, and Super is only where it is now because of IPSC. .40 will be around for the next hundred years if any guns are.