Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If .40 dies one day, what to do with Limited?

Yes, without a doubt 40 is losing popularity but there is still a crapload of it out there.  And I agree, if it was not for USPSA, I would not be shooting 40... although 40 powder puff loads are pretty nice for fun.

In 10 years, yes, situation may be a bit different but heck, you can still buy once fired 45 GAP brass. =P

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

regardless of 40 availability and economics, if you look at the trend in the gun games CO is taking over.  I went limited major cause I didn't want to believe it and stay irons a bit longer...but I knew at the end of the day the end game was a red dot on my slide.  I didn't wanna go there, but now im there and I must say dot life is good.  

come to the dark side!

honestly, I think most people would agree in normal non covid times 9mm is cheaper, and generally easier in most cases.  for some reason 40 was always more finicky on loading/ feeding, harder on parts / guns (I kept breaking rear sights after high round counts), etc.  every time something happened I kinda though " man... this never happened with 9mm....".  

Any old timers out there recall , WHY 40 was minimum for major vs 45 ? ? 40 S&W round didnt even exist when that rule was made. Was it just to keep out 38 super from standard, when standard and open started ?  Seems it was pretty much a 45/9mm game at the time.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Any old timers out there recall , WHY 40 was minimum for major vs 45 ? ? 40 S&W round didnt even exist when that rule was made. Was it just to keep out 38 super from standard, when standard and open started ?  Seems it was pretty much a 45/9mm game at the time.

I wasn't there, but probably because it was 175 PF for major back then and the 10mm auto was available.  If that ain't right, maybe someone will correct me

looks like standard didnt split until 92 or 93 and 40 was pretty available by then. I thought it was much earlier.

It also worked in 9mm sized frames so alot of gun companies were jumping on the 40 bandwagon.

13 hours ago, IF788 said:

for some reason 40 was always more finicky on loading/ feeding, harder on parts / guns

I've never found that to be true.  40sw is easier to load for and is not at all finicky.  If your pistol is set up correctly you will have no more wear than a 9mm or 45.  I shot 40sw minor for steel, major for Limited and major for Open for years.  I now shoot 9mm minor and major for Open.  I can tell you 40sw is waaaay more forgiving, especially in Open major.

11 hours ago, zzt said:

I've never found that to be true.  40sw is easier to load for and is not at all finicky.  If your pistol is set up correctly you will have no more wear than a 9mm or 45.  I shot 40sw minor for steel, major for Limited and major for Open for years.  I now shoot 9mm minor and major for Open.  I can tell you 40sw is waaaay more forgiving, especially in Open major.

ill give you 9 major.  that's a different story.  I've never had 9 mm break rear sights, or break other things like 40 does.  that, or my Tangfolgio has total craptastic stock HW, which is also a factor and why I went back to CZ.  tango stuff started falling off the gun in 2-3K rounds.  CZ, rock solid indefinitely. perhaps I got a lemon....

This thread started a year ago and .40 is still around... 

Never understood why someone shooting one division would care what people shoot in other divisions. As if it matters how many participants are in different divisions. Shoot what you have, use PractiScore Competitor to combine results, count your M-s and D-s, get better, suck less, enjoy the stages...

Life after .40. If the poster is correct (who knows) after 10 years who cares. My guns won't last 10 years if only because new things come out that I want. Likely at almost 50k rounds per year Ill but 3 or more guns during 10 years. So I'll roll with the flow each new purchase.

If you want to worry about something going away I suggest you concern yourself with iron sights or even pistols. The world is trending towards dots at an alarming rate and towards PCC at an even more alarming rate. People who can't shoot for s#!t can shoot all A's with a PCC. As a result stage edging creeps towards being challenging fir PCC's and damn near impossible for a pistol. So far its slow movement but its picking up. It will continue if PCC remains eligible in pistol matches.

Carry optics continues to rape Production and the increase in allowable mag capacity is even taking Open shooters because the Open guns are so expensive.

Im not opposed to change and some is necessary or the whole sport becomes obsolete. However as many shooters who entered the sport shooting only dots start to dominate the MD positions stages will obsolete iron sights. Just as Single Stack becomes nothing but historical in nature iron sights will also. Too bad because most threats won't wait while you turn on your sight or change the battery.

5 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Well, not since 2014 when they allowed 8-shot minor, anyway.

I know a guy who's so salty about that he stopped shooting USPSA altogether.

So Revo lost 5% of the participants right there, hahahahaha.

55 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

haven't done anything major with Revo, SS or L-10. no way just something such as decreased commercial use of .40 is going to change the rules or division.

Revo is a good example of why commercial use of ammo doesn't matter for USPSA. When they started allowing 8 shot minor Revo shooters started loading 38 short colt. When was the last time you saw that on the shelf? How many departments are carrying wheel guns with short colts today?

For our purposes we will spend the money required to get the things we need to compete. 

49 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

So Revo lost 5% of the participants right there, hahahahaha.

You're not wrong!

I'm on track to shoot 10 revolver matches this year. If COVID means that participation across the board is 75% of 2019 levels, my 10 paid match entries are going to account for about 0.5% of all revolver activity in 2020.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:55 PM, MikeyScuba said:

Not with WMA 40 LE brass around you won’t. Crimped like hell that stuff.

Never seen or heard of it.  "FC 10" is the only .40 headstamp that gives me trouble and it shows up every blue moon.  With 9mm, it's A-MERC, CBC, S&B, and military and they show up all the time.  Yeah, I could sort my 9 brass, but it's a lot quicker to deal with the 5 per 100 troublemakers at the deprime/resize die than to sort thousands of cases.  If I shot 9 major, I would probably scrutinize brass a lot more.  

I’ve been shooting revo mostly these past 2 years.  I’m itching to see how all the practice I’ve been doing translates to my limited gun.  And it’s all L10 up here.  Sucker for punishment lol.

i might shoot one of my wife’s Shadow 2 with optic for the indoor shooting matches.  If we are allowed to shoot indoor matches this winter....

On 9/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, Racinready300ex said:

If you have to turn the sight on or change the battery you're doing it wrong.

Im not doing it all but I watch everybody else waste time turning their sights on or adjusting brightness

If I remember correctly the first Limited Nationals was '93 in Reno and was won with a .40 out of a P-9?

The 9mm cartridge has a place but it is being over glorified right now in USPSA only because it is inexpensive. The .40 is a more versatile cartridge it performs fantastic in minor and major power factor, it's accurate, and reliable. 

Rich