Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hat or something to keep sun off of neck?

nick779

Do any of you have anything you use to keep the sun off your neck?

I burn really easily even with sunscreen, so Ive been hunting for a brimmed hat of sorts, but it just dawned on me that a simple white towel or something around my neck would help too.

What do you guys use?

https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/

These.  They're cheap, very effective and multi-use.  I use them at hot shooting matches, fishing, ice fishing, etc.  Always have one in the shooting bag, boat, tackle box, truck, etc.  Take it off before you stop for a soft drink on the way home or people will think you're going to rob them!

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Got basically the same thing from Academy, think it was $15-20, brim is not rigid at all which is lame in even a light breeze.

Look up running, fishing, or golf hats, they're all common sights on the range here, as is the classic towel/bandana, I can't get into towels, feels like a blanket, the cooling ones are a little better, I tend to drop them in the dirt/dust though and they really lose appeal as a grimy/muddy mess.

I have this I don’t know what to call it. But it is an elastic sewn in a circle with sun screen material hanging down so that it covers ears and neck. You can put it around your head while wearing your normal .ball cap. You can wear your ears or your ear inserts with it and it’s really comfortable. I don’t like the boonie hats because you have to wear ear plugs and after about 3 stages they start to bother me.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:27 AM, zombywoof said:

I bought this hat from Walmart, it's pretty nice. And a cooling towel.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Crushable-Wide-Brim-Bucket-Hat-UPF-50-Sun-Protection-Mesh-Crown-Breathable/736357876

hat.jpg.818482b2428e95bb35734aeb73dbfe76.jpg

I just bought this exact same hat (at least, it looks the same) and love it. Only downside is that I can’t wear it and my electronic muffs at the same time, so I end up swapping between plugs / this hat and muffs / regular ball cap a bunch when ROing, depending on whether I’m running the timer or tablet.