Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 9mm to start out with for USPSA - CO

philipsinewe

OK, so just about to start in the wild and wonderful world of reloading with a Dillion 650.  Will be using ammo for USPSA, Carry Optics, on a Sig P320 X5.

So the question is, I want to buy a small number of bullets to start, to get my feet wet.  So, what 9mm bullet would you all choose and why?

4 minutes ago, 223to45 said:

You are going to have to find what works for you and for your gun.

I run 165 gr coated , because I like the feel of the way they shoot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agreed.  But need someplace to start.  Thanks for the input.

Easy place to start is to go with some coated lead, accurate and cheap. Go to SNS casting or blue bullets and order a case of 124gr rn. Check the 9mm reloading threads for load data and give it hell. Some people like to load 135s, 147s or even some 160s. I’m a 2 division GM and about 93% in production, that being said for a frame of reference on experience, I’ve shot a boat load of various weights and to be honest there’s very little difference, esp if you’re just getting started. I started out shooting heavier weights and ultimately migrated to 124gr because I got more bullets per case- but even there the per bullet cost is pretty much the same. Don’t over think it. There’s a TON of stuff that will impact your score more than minuscule differences in 9 minor loads. Your recoil spring weight being appropriate will probably be more important than what bullet weight you choose.

If you’re set on trying a bunch of different bullet weights I am pretty sure most of the coated bullet companies offer sample packs with various options included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd start with PD's 124 gr FMJ because there are lot of advantages for

the newbie shooting jacketed bullets, and the PD's are less $$$.

They work very well for me.

But, as Drew mentioned, probably doesn't matter too much - they're all good

and you'll probably blow through a 1,000 of them very quickly.   :) 

Hello: I would start with jacketed bullets or plated bullets to start. I shoot a P320X5 as well and like the 124 grain bullets. I am using Extremes right now but have also used Berry's, Acme(coated) and Montana Golds in my P320X5. I am going to try some Acme 135's next since the 147's were not very accurate for me. Buy 500 bullets at a time to see what you like. Thanks, Eric

Two choices here:

1.) Coated 125's from Gallant Bullets https://gallantbullets.com Good price for bullets that work for me in CO.

2.) Jacketed 124's from Everglades  https://www.evergladesammo.com  Good/accurate for me but price is more than coated.

I've been at this a relatively short time compared to some other of the posters but coated works well for what we do in USPSA/CO.

OK, so just about to start in the wild and wonderful world of reloading with a Dillion 650.  Will be using ammo for USPSA, Carry Optics, on a Sig P320 X5.

So the question is, I want to buy a small number of bullets to start, to get my feet wet.  So, what 9mm bullet would you all choose and why?

124 grain coated bullet such as ibejiheads. You want the slide to return to battery before you're ready to shoot again. Leave the "soft" shooting 147/160 bullets alone. It's minor [emoji1787].

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Look around on here on the various x-5 threads and I think you'll find that most of the experienced shooters have chosen

124/5 bullets because they seem to be more accurate in the 320/x-5 guns.

With carry Optics much like open you want the dot to snap back vs the rolling back of 147-165 gr bullets.

9mm is not a violent round to begin with so the slight difference in recoil impulse is almost a non issue.

Guys on here like Darrel and Bill Garland have shoot 10s or 1000s of rounds through 9's in general and in x-5's

Look some of their research up and see what they are saying.

Above many people have suggested starting with Jacketed bullets and that's sound advice.

For me cost is a factor and I've gone to coated and have not had problems.

Brazos and Bayou 124 RN for me seem extremely accurate and are tolerant of loading to lengths from 1.100 to 1.165 

without issues in my guns.  Learn what the plunk test is and use it every time you change bullet maker, style or weight.

Get a chrono as soon as possible.  Until then use the average or the loads you see people recommend on here.  Usually

the group knowledge averaged out works fine and won't cause you any issues.

Stick with standard stuff you can buy locally at first so you can buy one pound cans of powder to try until you find the one you like.

I like e3, WST and Titegroup in that order for 124 to 147 gr bullets.

Then learn the 650 by going slow at first so you understand what each station does and how it effects the final outcome.

Ask ?'s we all had to start some time and learn.

Good fortune 

Edited by jcc7x7

Try some different weight bullets and see what works best for your set up.  I like a lighter bullet for CO, snappier recoil seems to get dot back on target quicker.  Heavier bullet gives less felt recoil but gives more muzzle rise and feels like it takes longer for dot to get back on target.

My 320X5 likes the RMR 124JHP. I load it with 4.0gr of Sport Pistol. Solid reliability and excellent grouping which means I don't have to worry about my ammo in practice or a match. I can focus on what's important.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was in your position a week ago. Keep it simple. Went with gallant 135s and 147s over sport pistol and vvn320 as a backup if sport pistol did anything weird. Loaded up 3 charges for each bullet weight and chronod them. Picked the weight that felt best and picked charge weight that made 135pf. Have 3,000 gallant rn 147s being delivered monday. I did not want reloading to interfere with training. 

I run 125 grain round nose Blue Bullets. I didn’t feel like messing around with different bullet profiles since everything i’d shot as far as factory ammo had been round nose. 

Basically, 115s tend to be snappy, 147s a bit more of a push than a snap, and 124/5s somewhat of a middle ground. 

• 2 weeks later...

I highly suggest starting out with FMJ or quality thicker plated bullets.

Coated lead works well but die adjustments are even more critical and is just another hurdle to overcome.

I started out with FMJ, then plated, then my own cast lead, then to coated, back to plated.  Have been using coated in 40 this year with success.  Once the 4k plated rounds are loaded up I will be going back to coated with Sport Pistol.

I like a 124gr with fast powder.  Not as soft in the hand as a 147, but I am back on target quicker.  My CO gun is a CZ P10C with a Holosun HS507C, and my load is 3.8gr of Titegroup under an RMR 124gr FP FMJ "Match Winner" at 1.100" 

Shooting the classifier "Roscoe Rattle (13-04)" firing 6 rounds per target, the dot did not leave the window.