Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoes

Bmans45

I have neuropathy of the feet and have difficulty maintaining a stable base so cross trainers and the like are not useful to me. I've found ankle hi hiking boots with serious tread are my preferred foot wear. Then again I'm 72 and generally unstable to begin with.  😜 Your needs will be different from near everyone else otherwise there wouldn't be a blue million athletic shoes on the market. Good arch support and stable when rounding a corner are 2 requirements that come to mind. They shouldn't roll to the off side when putting pressure on them. I don't think there's a single answer to your question tho you can bet everybody likes what they bought. Good luck looking.

3 hours ago, Chip3 said:

Crocs, let your feet breathe.

👆🤣

Inov8, Salomon, etc...good choices. Since I live in a Van down by the river (with internet lol) I really couldn't afford the $150 for shoes 😥. So I found a less expensive option. Saucony Grid Excursion TR12. $54 shipped. Hope they last this season.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFR6S33/?coliid=I1FVVYMS25XYYG&colid=SMLMEEKPO0JW&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

5 minutes ago, buckaroo45 said:

Only Crocs I remember seeing had an open back which were not allowed on my clubs' range. Too easy to come off and present a problem.

What?? Years ago we had a local GM that would shoot barefoot occasionally.

Yup! Seen that too. But if you lose a shoe it'd be an opportunity to get tangled up and go down. Worst case, of course, but I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of a guy running and going down with a loaded gun.  That was years ago and looking back it may have been a local rule but I appreciated the Match Director thinking worst case scenario. I put it in the same category as requiring a belt to go thru 3 loops. Pants down, lose a shoe, the list of bad stuff happening can be long. I'm sure we all try not to make the evening news.      

• 2 weeks later...

I wear altra minimalist shoes. The have a paddle grip which does very well in most terrain. The big reason I chose these is for the ultra wide toe box. I have wide feet from about the arch forward. Every other shoe I tried made my feet feel like the were broken by the end of a match

I am currently rocking a pair of Columbia-Montrail Trans Alps FKT trail running shoes for my big hooves (15).  They have good traction and relatively good cushioning without being overly squishy.

My next pair will likely be Altra's due to the more natural toe box.

I have big wide hobbit feat, so I mostly wear Keens. Super comfortable (especially for wide feet), light, and good traction.

The one with KEENDry (Gortex like membrane) are great for wet conditions, but definitely go a version without in hot dry conditions. They breath much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Civilian_Actual said:

Fake Salomon’s on EBay. You’ll get your money worth of you just use them for matches. 

I bought some of the fake SpeedCross shoes a while back. They were extremely uncomfortable. I never even wore them out of the house they sucked so bad. Nothing like the real ones. 

Altra Superior, zero drop, great tread and wide toe box. I have a disease that makes my foot ache after I am on it for any period of time. I have tried merrell, new balance, Salomon, under armour, Nike, Adidas, just about everything. All altra shoes and boots have zero drop, anything with a drop from heel to toe would be murder on my foot. I got a pair of altra superior 3.0 they have great tread and also come with plates that you insert so you dont get poked by rocks. They are hands down the most comfortable shoe I have ever tried. Also the wide toe box is amazing, and even in a regular size plenty wide. I think I paid $65 on Amazon shipped. There is even 5 individual treads for your toes. As soon as I'm able to move fast again I will give a competition report. Sorry for the pic of prosthetic, I'm wearing a slipper on my good foot. bdac6298fc6aeaf8d03e68d0a721dbed.jpg6533cf5ae7cb2f854dfa044c370c9beb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 6/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, kk4364 said:

Altra Superior, zero drop, great tread and wide toe box. I have a disease that makes my foot ache after I am on it for any period of time. I have tried merrell, new balance, Salomon, under armour, Nike, Adidas, just about everything. All altra shoes and boots have zero drop, anything with a drop from heel to toe would be murder on my foot. I got a pair of altra superior 3.0 they have great tread and also come with plates that you insert so you dont get poked by rocks. They are hands down the most comfortable shoe I have ever tried. Also the wide toe box is amazing, and even in a regular size plenty wide. I think I paid $65 on Amazon shipped. There is even 5 individual treads for your toes. As soon as I'm able to move fast again I will give a competition report. Sorry for the pic of prosthetic, I'm wearing a slipper on my good foot. bdac6298fc6aeaf8d03e68d0a721dbed.jpg6533cf5ae7cb2f854dfa044c370c9beb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have the same shoe. Had them over a year and I'm a big 225# and the tread has held up just fine. Love the wide toe box. Actually switched laces to the soloman speed lace (the zip tie lace thing) Because I am lazy and it's literally my go to shoe for damn near everything.

Edited by armyjohnson1

I just bought Altra Superior 4 also....I have a very wide foot with some toe problems and could barely make it thru a match without limping, tried all the other brands and nothing really worked.....the Altra Superior 4 has the widest toebox on any shoe I've found, fairly good lugs with good traction, is EXTREMELY comfortable for a whole day shooting and running around and causes my toes no discomfort whatsoever.....VERY happy