Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

17 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

Did some more work with SW Major Pistol today and 115gr MG JHP. Pretty awesome load.

I did take couple quick videos and put them together Full Speed and Slo Mo trying to see if video can capture the difference in 124 load with CFE-P and 115 Load with SW Major Pistol.

Difference in how it felt and tracked was pretty major. SWMP load was softer, way flatter, faster recovery and very minimal and predictable dot movement and tracking.

SW Major Pistol load also preferred Medium to Light Grip Pressure.

Let me know if you can see anything. Its a little far i know i know.

What was your load?? And OAL 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, nbdyspl said:

Mine doesn’t say rifle. It says pistol. I think something might not be correct. 

I just received and order from Powder Valley this week and the 8 lb. jug said "Rifle" on it above the part number also. 

I sent an email to Shooters World to see if this is just a label error or the powder is not correct. I want to be sure before I open the container.

8 hours ago, mstewart said:

I just received and order from Powder Valley this week and the 8 lb. jug said "Rifle" on it above the part number also. 

I sent an email to Shooters World to see if this is just a label error or the powder is not correct. I want to be sure before I open the container.

I've been speaking with two gentlemen at Shooters World regarding my issues. On the labeling issue, I was assured that it was a simple misprint on the container and the contents were MP (D037-01) as advertised. Still doesn't change the fact that my lot isn't performing as it should. My trials and tribulations are listed above in this thread. 

Not bashing, just stating facts. I will say that both gents at Shooters World have been good to talk to and like me just want to resolve the issue. They both contacted me almost immediately and have stayed in touch. Customer service wise, so far so good. As per their instructions, I am going to send them 100 of my bullets ( Precision Delta 124 JHP) and they want to test with a sample of the same lot # on their end. Will post my findings / outcome. In a holding pattern for now. 

9 hours ago, mstewart said:

Just received a reply from Shooters World and they said it was a labeling error. I haven't opened mine but will and chrono some rounds at the load I used previously and see what I get.

I was interested in learning the reason behind the discrepancy between PT Redneck's load velocities and what most of us are seeing.  Imagine my surprise when I looked to for lot number on my #1 container and discovered it was nowhere to be found.  Perhaps the original packaging (long gone) had that info, but it certainly wasn't on the container that I have. 

I've seen pics of 8# canisters having the lot number so I know that at least some containers are marked, but mine certainly was not; glad my loads seem to be performing withing the average velocity of most folks loading 9mm major here. 

21 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

I've been speaking with two gentlemen at Shooters World regarding my issues. On the labeling issue, I was assured that it was a simple misprint on the container and the contents were MP (D037-01) as advertised. Still doesn't change the fact that my lot isn't performing as it should. My trials and tribulations are listed above in this thread. 

Not bashing, just stating facts. I will say that both gents at Shooters World have been good to talk to and like me just want to resolve the issue. They both contacted me almost immediately and have stayed in touch. Customer service wise, so far so good. As per their instructions, I am going to send them 100 of my bullets ( Precision Delta 124 JHP) and they want to test with a sample of the same lot # on their end. Will post my findings / outcome. In a holding pattern for now. 

Glad to hear good customer support 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, Part_time_redneck said:

Need some advice, hints, criticism, ridicule......, whatever, I'll take it. 

I've been primarily running HS-6 for a while and while it's pretty consistent and runs better than I can shoot, in the never ending search for the better mousetrap, I got some Major Pistol to try. Just got back from chrono time and the results were not as I expected. 

Within a small margin of error, both of my open guns, PCC, and CO guns / loads are very similar to what most people post here and with the guys I shoot with. This is where things change up though. 

Gun is a Matt Cheely built 9Maj 5 inch. Just under 5K rounds through it. Matt's 4 port comp, KKM barrel with 2, 1/8 inch poppel holes. My go to load  for a while has been 7.9g HS-6 with 124g PD JHP's loaded at 1.170 using CCI SPP (500's).  This load out of this gun makes @ 170 PF. This is across my chrono and verified at level 2 matches with lab radar. Tried and true. 

Recently I went back to running 3N38 and while I love it, it's too much for me on the loading end. If it wasn't double the cost of its competition and a pain to load in 9 this post wouldn't be here. The 3N38 load I was briefly using was 8.8g PD 124 & CCI 500's at 1.170. This load made 171 PF and shot fantastic. Granted this one is only verified by my chrono

Onward and upward to bigger and better things. Major Pistol. Loaded up a ladder with PD JHP 124's & just for giggles some 115's also. All test loads were 1.170, Hornady brass, CCI SPP all from same DSC I've been using for a while. All charge weights were verified after cycling 10 drops, discarding them, then taking the next 10 drops, weighing each and averaging those 10. Scale is regularly checked with calibration weights.  

Loaded SWMP:

9.0g - 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.6 - 9.8 with 124 HP's. expected to hit major @ 9.5. Guesstimated 9.6 @ 167.       9.8 prob @ 169-170. 

Also loaded with 115's   

9.8, 10.0, 10.2, 10.4.  

Chrono time. Get set up. 12' to chrono. Weather is a non issue. 76deg, 30.16BP, 79% hum.  Normal south MS day. For verification I run some old loads over chrono

My tried and true HS-6 7.9 load.  Makes 170 as it should. 

Some older WAC loads at 6.9g. Make 169 as they should. 

The 8.8 3N38 loads. Make 171 as they should. 

Chrono is reading correctly. Stars & planets are aligned. 

RESULTS--------with Major Pistol. 

124g PD JHP's

9.0 - 148.3PF

9.2 - 151.8PF

9.4 - 155.5PF

9.6 - 158.8PF

9.8 - 161.7PF

Now for the 115's. Yes. It gets better.,...,,,,,

9.8 - 150PF

10.0 - 150.5PF

10.2 - 152.3PF.  - at this point I ran 10 of the 7.9 HS-6 loads for a check. They were 170 as they should be. Chrono verified. 

10.4 - 154.3PF.     Each charge weight had 15 rounds loaded. On this final test I stopped and kept 5 rounds, brought home, pulled the bullet and re-weighed the charge. Results were accurate with my scale. Charge weight is correct. Also checked scale with multiple cal weights. It's correct. Loaded test rounds at @ 60deg, 55% hum.  

This powder is supposed to be comparable to AA7 which I have tested before with much better results than this. Looking at others results with similar firearms on here, I'm lagging behind by roughly a PF of 10. Powder in question was purchased new from Graf's, had in my possession for a week stored indoors before loading. Not knocking any manufacturer or distributor, just good reviews from it and want to resolve my issue. My inquiring mind wants to know. 

Weak batch of powder? Would SW do anything? Urinating into the breeze by asking? Prob so. Thoughts, ideas. Did I overlook something obvious? I've done this before but numbers don't lie and in this case, they don't add up. 

Thanks in advance for the help. Time for another Makers and wait for the criticism on how I'm exceeding the recommended starting load and should run Titegroup in Open.      Cheers!!!!!!!!

Well I just got back from a chrono session and I have the same mislabeled product.  It took me 8.8 gr. to reach the same power factor of 152 that I was able to make with 8.0 gr. with powder from my previous order.  And my ES and SD s have went to crap.  Used same re-calibrated scales (2) as before, same gun, same bullet etc....

Have sent the info to Shooters World and see what they say. 

It was 20 degrees cooler (70F) here today than in august but I kept the rounds in front of my trucks heater for the hour drive to the range and  left them in the truck until they were loaded in the magazine. So it shouldn't be much of a factor.

Whatever it’s worth......I’ve been in serious contact with the Product Development manager at Shooters World powder, Ken,  in regards to the I burned powder residue I’m finding on my Chaos.

He has been truly interested in trying to find the cause of this mess.....
Great to see service like this today....will keep posted 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 7:22 PM, AKJD said:

Worked up to 9.8 grains which got me to where I wanted to be right around 172-173 power factor.  The warm load was indoors at 70 degrees then kept in my truck with the heater on until ready to shoot.  The cold load was kept outside in the bed of my truck for a couple hours until shot.  The difference wasn't huge but could be a factor if you like to keep it close.  After getting the load to where I wanted it I loaded 100 rounds and shot a few drills.  Liking this powder so far.  May have found my replacement for HS-6 and WAC. 

CK Arms Thunder Open with KKM barrel and three holes.  Ammo loaded on Dillon 650Winchester once fired brass and Winchester SPP.  Everglades 124 grain JHP.

Created: 12/11/18 14:48
Description: 9.8 Major Pistol cold
Notes 1: Win Brass
Notes 2: Win SPP
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 124.00
Temp: 28 °F
BP: 29.78 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1376    521.40  170.62 
9    1382    525.96  171.37 
8    1371    517.62  170.00 
7    1384    527.48  171.62 
6    1382    525.96  171.37 
5    1372    518.38  170.13 
4    1375    520.65  170.50 
3    1376    521.40  170.62 
2    1392    533.60  172.61 
1    1360    509.35  168.64 
Average: 1377.0 FPS
SD: 8.7 FPS
Min: 1360 FPS
Max: 1392 FPS
Spread: 32 FPS
True MV: 1378 FPS

Created: 12/11/18 14:40
Description: 9.8 Major Pistol Warm
Notes 1: Win Brass
Notes 2: Win SPP
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 124.00
Temp: 28 °F
BP: 29.78 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1392    533.60  172.61 
9    1398    538.21  173.35 
8    1394    535.13  172.86 
7    1384    527.48  171.62 
6    1399    538.98  173.48 
5    1399    538.98  173.48 
4    1391    532.83  172.48 
3    1395    535.90  172.98 
2    1381    525.20  171.24 
1    1385    528.25  171.74 
Average: 1391.8 FPS
SD: 6.5 FPS
Min: 1381 FPS
Max: 1399 FPS
Spread: 18 FPS
True MV: 1393 FPS

Check your PM~  Thanks ~

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I heard that a 124gr bullet would be around 170pf.  I have an Akai with an island barrel with 2,  .125 popels.  I went up to 10.3 and tried again.  I ended up right at 165pf.  I’m going to have to go up to 10.5 which I thought was crazy.  It shot great and it’s clean, but dayumm that’s a lot of powder. Anyone else having results like this.  Oal is 1.170

On 11/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, mstewart said:

Well I just got back from a chrono session and I have the same mislabeled product.  It took me 8.8 gr. to reach the same power factor of 152 that I was able to make with 8.0 gr. with powder from my previous order.  And my ES and SD s have went to crap.  Used same re-calibrated scales (2) as before, same gun, same bullet etc....

Have sent the info to Shooters World and see what they say. 

It was 20 degrees cooler (70F) here today than in august but I kept the rounds in front of my trucks heater for the hour drive to the range and  left them in the truck until they were loaded in the magazine. So it shouldn't be much of a factor.

I’m having the same results.  Running 10.4-10.5 for 124’s to make major.  Did you contact them?   I was also wondering if something was wrong.  This just didn’t seem right.  I’ve heard 9.8 is kind of the magic number for a full size gun running 124’s.  I only have 2 1/8” popel holes. 

Yes I contacted them and they tested the lot number I gave them. It is Major Pistol and they said canister was sent with incorrect label.  Seems the product has a wide variation in velocity.  I am only loading 8.6 gr. and getting around 152 PF. Not looking for Major PF.  I am not having any issues as it shoots  pretty clean, meters very well, works well with the comp on my Walther Q5,  and at the weight I am loading my 115 CMJs I have no spillage. Have some VV. N350 that I loaded a month ago and it seemed to work well also. Going to order some MG 124 gn CMJs and test some loads at the same PF along with some 115's with both powders and see which one gives the best hit factor on the timer. Then I will decide which one I will stay with.  I have not ever double checked V.V.s velocity on different lots but I think I will do that in the future.  If I was a competitive shooter claiming Major PF I would definitely  do that. But I only shoot local matches so it is not an issue.

I just shot SWMP with my new Venom Custom with 5.4" KKM with 2 popel holes and a 3 port BE comp. Here were my results measured with my lab radar...

124 Gr MG CMJ

GM200M Primers

Weight Powder Velocity PF
124 9.5 1394 173
124 9.7 1417 176
124 9.9 1430 177

4 hours ago, PocketPistol said:

I just shot SWMP with my new Venom Custom with 5.4" KKM with 2 popel holes and a 3 port BE comp. Here were my results measured with my lab radar...

124 Gr MG CMJ

GM200M Primers

Weight Powder Velocity PF
124 9.5 1394 173
124 9.7 1417 176
124 9.9 1430 177

That more of what i was expecting.  I was shocked to find out that I was going to need 10.5 to make major @ around 170pf. And this gun is the same speed as my last gun in which I used 7.3 of autocomp to make 170.  I may shoot them an email or something.  

On 11/23/2019 at 10:22 AM, TANFARM said:

Whatever it’s worth......I’ve been in serious contact with the Product Development manager at Shooters World powder, Ken,  in regards to the I burned powder residue I’m finding on my Chaos.

He has been truly interested in trying to find the cause of this mess.....
Great to see service like this today....will keep posted 

any update on this? I am looking at buying an 8lb jug of this from Powder Valley and I am having serious doubts. 

10 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

any update on this? I am looking at buying an 8lb jug of this from Powder Valley and I am having serious doubts. 

I also am having some unburnt powder in my Akai. It’s still shooting very accurate and consistent. I’m curious what comes of this.  

I also am having some unburnt powder in my Akai. It’s still shooting very accurate and consistent. I’m curious what comes of this.  

Me and m buddy had the same issue. We crimped a little harder and it seemed to alleviate the problem.
I however switched to something else. That’s a great powder, I just had problems with it running automated at High RPM and not having powder spillage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m running at 1050  with Ammo bot. I run them about 1800 with about 10.4 grains of shooters world. I use that little brush for sale at Ben Stoeger’s website. It’s only about $20 and it solved the issue. I didn’t have to put any bearings or any of those items on the press. I recommend checking it out for sure. It snapped on the press, it goes after the powder drop, before the bullet feeder. It works great

Edited by Jts2581

On 1/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, Jts2581 said:

Me also - and I was having to use 10.7 grains to make major with a 124 JHP at 1.17 OAL.  That was for a canister with batch number 102219  314.  I just finished with that powder and loaded some up from a new canister (from Powder Valley) -

Name: Venom/124/10 grains SWMP
Notes: New batch of powder
Shots: 11
Average: 1365 ft/s
SD: 17 ft/s
Min: 1346 ft/s
Max: 1397 ft/s
Spread: 51 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 169
Power Factor Low: 166
Power Factor High: 173
Barometric Pressure: 29.7 in Hg