Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

6 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Have you ever had any light primer strikes with CCI primers, I had that experiance with my Limited Blasters so I decided "NO MAS" ?

The only time I had light strikes was when I bought a used gun as a backup.  The owner was running a Ti FP, 15 lb. mainspring and WSPs.  I changed out the FP to a SS one and put in a 17 lb. mainspring.  Zero issues after that.  I run that setup in every 1911 and 2011 I own.  Everything goes bang.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, zzt said:

The only time I had light strikes was when I bought a used gun as a backup.  The owner was running a Ti FP, 15 lb. mainspring and WSPs.  I changed out the FP to a SS one and put in a 17 lb. mainspring.  Zero issues after that.  I run that setup in every 1911 and 2011 I own.  Everything goes bang.

Do have any experiance with Everglades JHP V2

3 hours ago, Furrly said:

Have you ever had any light primer strikes with CCI primers, I had that experiance with my Limited Blasters so I decided "NO MAS" ?

We're running a 20lb hammer spring, it actually makes a huge difference in how the gun feels to shoot. At 17lbs I still had 0 light strikes, but the gun is way softer shooting at 20lbs. 

3 hours ago, zzt said:

True, but you will still need more powder so you'll get more spillage.  I don't understand why anyone would put holes way back from the comp.  You lessen the flattening effect.

Our thinking is smaller holes further back smooth out the pressure curve as powder burns. It should result in a smoother impulse. Not sure how big of an effect it has, but this gun is really soft shooting compared to other 9maj guns I've shot. 

I have no spillage at 10.8 on my press. But I did put little cushions on the keeper pins that keep the brass from snapping into place when the shellplate indexes.

35 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Do have any experiance with Everglades JHP V2

Yes.  They shoot quite well.  I bought 2000 of the 124s and loaded them minor for steel challenge.  Before that I was shooting the same bullet in Everglades remanufactured ammo.

18 minutes ago, Maxamundo said:

We're running a 20lb hammer spring, it actually makes a huge difference in how the gun feels to shoot. At 17lbs I still had 0 light strikes, but the gun is way softer shooting at 20lbs. 

I may go back to a 19 and see what that does.  I had to go to a 17 to get the slide to cycle with minor loads.  Now that the gun is more broken in, I'll try.

10 minutes ago, zzt said:

Yes.  They shoot quite well.  I bought 2000 of the 124s and loaded them minor for steel challenge.  Before that I was shooting the same bullet in Everglades remanufactured ammo.

I may go back to a 19 and see what that does.  I had to go to a 17 to get the slide to cycle with minor loads.  Now that the gun is more broken in, I'll try.

I'm currently loading 9.9gr SW 124gr JHP v2 at 1.175 getting around 170 PF.. Trying to gage where I would need to be with 115gr JHP v2 

2 minutes ago, Furrly said:

I'm currently loading 9.9gr SW 124gr JHP v2 at 1.175 getting around 170 PF.. Trying to gage where I would need to be with 115gr JHP v2 

Make a ladder and try it out. I'm guessing you will need between .6 and .7gr more under a 115.  That is based on my pistol.

1 hour ago, shooterbenedetto said:

can somebody post accuracy on paper on this load please. it sounds good so far.

I don't have 25 yard groups.  Our targets are at 15 yards.  My load is fully processed mixed HS brass, CCI500, 10.2gr Major Pistol, 115 HAP @ 1.161"  168PF, SD 4.9.  At 15 yards, firing off hand standing with a two hand grip, you can cover every 10 shot group with a nickel.  Sometimes with a dime.  From a rest (wrists on rest) you can cover any group with a dime, with room to spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice, hints, criticism, ridicule......, whatever, I'll take it. 

I've been primarily running HS-6 for a while and while it's pretty consistent and runs better than I can shoot, in the never ending search for the better mousetrap, I got some Major Pistol to try. Just got back from chrono time and the results were not as I expected. 

Within a small margin of error, both of my open guns, PCC, and CO guns / loads are very similar to what most people post here and with the guys I shoot with. This is where things change up though. 

Gun is a Matt Cheely built 9Maj 5 inch. Just under 5K rounds through it. Matt's 4 port comp, KKM barrel with 2, 1/8 inch poppel holes. My go to load  for a while has been 7.9g HS-6 with 124g PD JHP's loaded at 1.170 using CCI SPP (500's).  This load out of this gun makes @ 170 PF. This is across my chrono and verified at level 2 matches with lab radar. Tried and true. 

Recently I went back to running 3N38 and while I love it, it's too much for me on the loading end. If it wasn't double the cost of its competition and a pain to load in 9 this post wouldn't be here. The 3N38 load I was briefly using was 8.8g PD 124 & CCI 500's at 1.170. This load made 171 PF and shot fantastic. Granted this one is only verified by my chrono. 

Onward and upward to bigger and better things. Major Pistol. Loaded up a ladder with PD JHP 124's & just for giggles some 115's also. All test loads were 1.170, Hornady brass, CCI SPP all from same DSC I've been using for a while. All charge weights were verified after cycling 10 drops, discarding them, then taking the next 10 drops, weighing each and averaging those 10. Scale is regularly checked with calibration weights.  

Loaded SWMP:

9.0g - 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.6 - 9.8 with 124 HP's. expected to hit major @ 9.5. Guesstimated 9.6 @ 167.       9.8 prob @ 169-170. 

Also loaded with 115's   

9.8, 10.0, 10.2, 10.4.  

Chrono time. Get set up. 12' to chrono. Weather is a non issue. 76deg, 30.16BP, 79% hum.  Normal south MS day. For verification I run some old loads over chrono. 

My tried and true HS-6 7.9 load.  Makes 170 as it should. 

Some older WAC loads at 6.9g. Make 169 as they should. 

The 8.8 3N38 loads. Make 171 as they should. 

Chrono is reading correctly. Stars & planets are aligned. 

RESULTS--------with Major Pistol. 

124g PD JHP's

9.0 - 148.3PF

9.2 - 151.8PF

9.4 - 155.5PF

9.6 - 158.8PF

9.8 - 161.7PF

Now for the 115's. Yes. It gets better.,...,,,,,

9.8 - 150PF

10.0 - 150.5PF

10.2 - 152.3PF.  - at this point I ran 10 of the 7.9 HS-6 loads for a check. They were 170 as they should be. Chrono verified. 

10.4 - 154.3PF.     Each charge weight had 15 rounds loaded. On this final test I stopped and kept 5 rounds, brought home, pulled the bullet and re-weighed the charge. Results were accurate with my scale. Charge weight is correct. Also checked scale with multiple cal weights. It's correct. Loaded test rounds at @ 60deg, 55% hum.  

This powder is supposed to be comparable to AA7 which I have tested before with much better results than this. Looking at others results with similar firearms on here, I'm lagging behind by roughly a PF of 10. Powder in question was purchased new from Graf's, had in my possession for a week stored indoors before loading. Not knocking any manufacturer or distributor, just good reviews from it and want to resolve my issue. My inquiring mind wants to know. 

Weak batch of powder? Would SW do anything? Urinating into the breeze by asking? Prob so. Thoughts, ideas. Did I overlook something obvious? I've done this before but numbers don't lie and in this case, they don't add up. 

Thanks in advance for the help. Time for another Makers and wait for the criticism on how I'm exceeding the recommended starting load and should run Titegroup in Open.      Cheers!!!!!!!!

This is very odd indeed. Just by looking at the behavior it looks like you got one SLOOOOW batch of SWMP.

I purchased my latest case of SWMP from MidSouth SS few weeks ago.

Gun - Atlas Chaos 9Major

Brass - FC

Primer - CCI SRP

Bullet - MG 124 CMJ @ 1.165

Shooters World Major Pistol

9.6 - 170pf

9.7 - 171pf

Silhouette

7.6 - 171pf

CFE-P

7.2 - 172pf

4 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

This is very odd indeed. Just by looking at the behavior it looks like you got one SLOOOOW batch of SWMP.

I purchased my latest case of SWMP from MidSouth SS few weeks ago.

Gun - Atlas Chaos 9Major

Brass - FC

Primer - CCI SRP

Bullet - MG 124 CMJ @ 1.165

Shooters World Major Pistol

9.6 - 170pf

9.7 - 171pf

Silhouette

7.6 - 171pf

CFE-P

7.2 - 172pf

I agree. Even though it's hard to believe. 

Im going to reload a few of the charge weights just to verify again. 

Some with the SPP again and the same with SRP just because. Shouldn't make much if any difference but, just weird. 

14 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Looking at others results with similar firearms on here, I'm lagging behind by roughly a PF of 10.

Are you sure you didn't get Heavy Pistol instead of Major Pistol?  That is the only thing I can think of.  My major load is fully processed mixed headstamp brass,  CCI 500, 10.2gr MP, 115 HAP at 1.161".  This makes 168PF, SD 4.9 out of a 5" barrel with two 3/16" poppels and a 3-chamber comp.  I also got my powder from Graf's & Sons.

23 hours ago, zzt said:

Are you sure you didn't get Heavy Pistol instead of Major Pistol?  That is the only thing I can think of.  My major load is fully processed mixed headstamp brass,  CCI 500, 10.2gr MP, 115 HAP at 1.161".  This makes 168PF, SD 4.9 out of a 5" barrel with two 3/16" poppels and a 3-chamber comp.  I also got my powder from Graf's & Sons.

Thanks for the input. But no, it's Major Pistol. Light purplish color on the container. I did notice one thing however. If you look on page 2 of this thread a poster has a picture of an 8 lb container he purchased. Top says "Major Pistol". Centered is the Shooters World logo. Below that "Pistol" with the MPN of D037-01 under it. On mine instead of "Pistol" it says "Rifle". Still with the D037-01 under it. Probably nothing but a label change but it is concerning considering the issue I'm having. Load data on the front of mine is identical to the "pistol" version. This is my first time purchasing this product so kind of in the dark. Could someone please look at theirs and verify please. Thanks in advance. 

Seems odd that they would change the container and print "rifle" on a product marketed almost exclusively for pistols. 

IMG_0266.JPG

8 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Thanks for the input. But no, it's Major Pistol. Light purplish color on the container. I did notice one thing however. If you look on page 2 of this thread a poster has a picture of an 8 lb container he purchased. Top says "Major Pistol". Centered is the Shooters World logo. Below that "Pistol" with the MPN of D037-01 under it. On mine instead of "Pistol" it says "Rifle". Still with the D037-01 under it. Probably nothing but a label change but it is concerning considering the issue I'm having. Load data on the front of mine is identical to the "pistol" version. This is my first time purchasing this product so kind of in the dark. Could someone please look at theirs and verify please. Thanks in advance. 

Seems odd that they would change the container and print "rifle" on a product marketed almost exclusively for pistols. 

IMG_0266.JPG

Mine doesn’t say rifle. It says pistol. I think something might not be correct. 

@nbdyspl I think you received a bad batch of powder.  I checked mine, it says 'Pistol' where your picture says rifle. 

My load book shows 9.3-9.5 gr of  Major Pistol under either 124 JHP PD or RMR bullets yield power factors in the 170 range when fired from a czechmate. Granted my OALs are likely shorter than 2011 loads, but this shouldn't drop you back 20 PF or so.

I'd suggest following up with the powder vendor/seller to confirm you actually have Major Pistol powder and not something else.  Alternatively, purchase a pound of powder elsewhere to double-check your findings.  Oh, and good luck on the 9-major journey.  While it has its challenges, it can be a lot of fun developing loads also.

I

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

@nbdyspl I think you received a bad batch of powder.  I checked mine, it says 'Pistol' where your picture says rifle. 

My load book shows 9.3-9.5 gr of  Major Pistol under either 124 JHP PD or RMR bullets yield power factors in the 170 range when fired from a czechmate. Granted my OALs are likely shorter than 2011 loads, but this shouldn't drop you back 20 PF or so.

I'd suggest following up with the powder vendor/seller to confirm you actually have Major Pistol powder and not something else.  Alternatively, purchase a pound of powder elsewhere to double-check your findings.  Oh, and good luck on the 9-major journey.  While it has its challenges, it can be a lot of fun developing loads also.

Sorry for the confusion I was saying mine also says Pistol not rifle. I was replying to  Part time redneck. He should follow you advice I agree something isn’t right with what he has. 

I would check with Shooters World on the labeling. As for my loads I'm using 10 grains of Major pistol with a 124 grain bullet to make a 173 power factor. I do notice that with out the two 3/16th popple holes in the barrel I'm at a 183 power factor. this is on a glock 34 build with a binary style comp. My over all length is at 1.140 and there are no signs of over pressure.

Did some more work with SW Major Pistol today and 115gr MG JHP. Pretty awesome load.

I did take couple quick videos and put them together Full Speed and Slo Mo trying to see if video can capture the difference in 124 load with CFE-P and 115 Load with SW Major Pistol.

Difference in how it felt and tracked was pretty major. SWMP load was softer, way flatter, faster recovery and very minimal and predictable dot movement and tracking.

SW Major Pistol load also preferred Medium to Light Grip Pressure.

Let me know if you can see anything. Its a little far i know i know.