Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

That’s more of what i was expecting. That’s in the cold also. I’m at about 10.5gr with the same lot # you have.  When I get more, I guess I’ll have to do load development again (which kinda blows)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jts2581 said:

That’s more of what i was expecting. That’s in the cold also. I’m at about 10.5gr with the same lot # you have.  When I get more, I guess I’ll have to do load development again (which kinda blows)

It does suck, but not as much as starting from scratch. 

I've actually considered trying the SW Auto Pistol since they compare that to HS-6.  That would really be starting over though and I'm not sure I feel like doing that.

46 minutes ago, clw42 said:

It does suck, but not as much as starting from scratch. 

I've actually considered trying the SW Auto Pistol since they compare that to HS-6.  That would really be starting over though and I'm not sure I feel like doing that.

I ran auto comp for a long time.  And the gun handled very similar to the way it does now with the major pistol. I may try the auto pistol also just to see what it’s like

I tried some of this and it seems so fine it's leaking out of the dillon powder slide. It also seems to drip out of the funnel on the upstroke . Has anyone had this issue on dillons ? Been loading autocomp for the last 2 years and never had this type of leakage , nor with any other powders I've tried .

1 hour ago, Sprig said:

I tried some of this and it seems so fine it's leaking out of the dillon powder slide. It also seems to drip out of the funnel on the upstroke . Has anyone had this issue on dillons ? Been loading autocomp for the last 2 years and never had this type of leakage , nor with any other powders I've tried .

Used to have this problem with nobel sport sp2 (which is very fine grained)  I used an Arredondo powder bar.   Might be worth a shot.   Seems they still  make them.https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/product/powder-drop-slide/

Edited by caspian guy

17 hours ago, Sprig said:

All the SW powders are more susceptible to static and stick to every thing. IF you like SWMP I suggest you may wont to try 

Accurate #7 they are the same powder formula one made in Europe the other USA  . #7 current grind is a little more coarse

and less susceptible to static cling.

Update on my unburied powder on Open pistol.

I have had multiple , very informative, discussions with the folks that make Major pistol. I explained the unburied residue on my pistol..

He suggested my barrel was actually cut for a longer length load than I was making.

He suggested increasing my COL from 1.165 to 1.175 to seat the round better.

Chronoed some of the longer rounds yesterday and the residue on the gun is definitely reduced and made 172 PF....so I’m happy.

Thanks to Shooters World for taking such a serious interest in my problem!!!

2 hours ago, Jts2581 said:

Dang it, I’m already @1.175.  What’s you load data?   Are you up in the 10’s?   I’m thinking about using a magnum primer as well.  

I'm at 1.165" in a Czechmate with 2 poppel holes running 10.1gr under a 124gr Everglades bullet.  I do run magnum primers.  CCI for practice ammo and Federal for match ammo.

Magnum or SR primers significantly reduce extreme spread/SD with AA7 yielding a more complete burn.

Gun is much cleaner after 500 rounds as well, without the un-burned powder in the gun. 

I expect the same results with SWMP.

Work up your loads as usual of course whenever you change a component.

Magnum / SR primers may add 1-3 PF to your existing load (assuming 1.165-1.185 OAL with 115,124 bullets, etc..)

8 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I'm at 1.165" in a Czechmate with 2 poppel holes running 10.1gr under a 124gr Everglades bullet.  I do run magnum primers.  CCI for practice ammo and Federal for match ammo.

Thnx.  I’m gonna see if the magnums will help at all.  

7 minutes ago, racer-x said:

Magnum or SR primers significantly reduce extreme spread/SD with AA7 yielding a more complete burn.

Gun is much cleaner after 500 rounds as well, without the un-burned powder in the gun. 

I expect the same results with SWMP.

Work up your loads as usual of course whenever you change a component.

Magnum / SR primers may add 1-3 PF to your existing load (assuming 1.165-1.185 OAL with 115,124 bullets, etc..)

That’s a good idea. I have a ton of srp. I’ll give em a shot before I buy a bunch of magnum primers.  Thnx dude. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:35 AM, Jts2581 said:

Dang it, I’m already @1.175.  What’s you load data?   Are you up in the 10’s?   I’m thinking about using a magnum primer as well.  

Chronographed rounds Saturday....55 degrees....9.8 grains MP at 1.175 124 PD HP....right at 172 power factor...I admit I was a bit surprised.

Now I’m hoping the lower temperature is not a huge factor.  Pistol was definitely cleaner........Damn. It’s always something.

Im staying with his combination!!!!...my shooting partner has done rather extensive testing with various primers and he is sticking with magnum pistol....

It should be slower in the colder weather. That’s what ive heard.  I’m not sure what’s up, but this lot of powder is way slower than others.  That’s the load I’ve heard most are using. 9.7-9.8 @1.170.  I’m @10.5 and I’m barely @170.  

Is anyone else running this powder on a Mark 7 Evolution/Revolution? I think because it’s such a fine grain powder it’s causing inconsistent powder drops for me. I’m getting some at 10.1 grains and others at 8 grains.

2 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

Is anyone else running this powder on a Mark 7 Evolution/Revolution? I think because it’s such a fine grain powder it’s causing inconsistent powder drops for me. I’m getting some at 10.1 grains and others at 8 grains.

I’m running it on an auto drive, and it meters perfectly with the 1050 powder drop. 

Edited by Jts2581

Buddy of mine had to have Dillon send him another powder bar for his powder measure.  Says it is a tighter fitting bar and is black in color.  Dillon doesn't have it as a readily available item in the catalog.  He had to call them to ask about it.

I run my stuff on a Hornady powder drop and get no leakage.  Different type of powder drop entirely though.  It does leak on the Lee rotor powder drops.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I long ago gave up on the Dillon powder measure.  The Hornady is much more precise and consistent.

I loaned one of my extras Hornady measures to my buddy and he couldn't get it on his 1050 with all  the other stuff from the bullet feeder and such.  He says the upgraded Dillon bar has solved the problem.

I agree with you ZZT.  The Hornady measure is the superior system.  I have 3 of them and they are all flawless.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I long ago gave up on the Dillon powder measure.  The Hornady is much more precise and consistent.

And you run the Hornady powder measure on a Dillon 1050?

What all is involved to do this?  I wouldn't have thought a Hornady powder measure assembly would just bolt on to a Dillon press?

And you run the Hornady powder measure on a Dillon 1050?

What all is involved to do this?  I wouldn't have thought a Hornady powder measure assembly would just bolt on to a Dillon press?

It works just fine. I can use it in the 550 and the 650, but not with the bullet feeder. If you wanna use it on the 650/1050 bullet feeder has to come off.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=16618&share_tid=282151&url=https://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/282151-Hornady-LNL-Powder-Measure-on-a-Dillon-750---works%3F&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk