Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

5 hours ago, racer-x said:

If it's coming from the powder bar, this should fix for you. This is a very fine grain powder - powder bar can't be loose (vertical). 

I saw this in a different thread and I'm going to try it today.

14 hours ago, CZ85Combat said:

It's coming from the powder bar.

Yeah, I was pretty well on my way to deducing that after seeing racer's post in a different thread.

Thanks guys.  I'll try racer's mod, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the Arredondo powder bar.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loaded up some more rounds this weekend. I did 124 gr PD JHP with 10.0 gr Major Pistol. 

I can't tell a difference between this or any other load. 

I've shot several different loads multiple times now and can't feel a difference. Don't know if that's because of my comp or what. 

I like this powder a lot, to the point I have stopped using 3N38, I have a binary engineering compensator, 5.4 Infinity barrel with 2 popples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

I like this powder a lot, to the point I have stopped using 3N38, I have a binary engineering compensator, 5.4 Infinity barrel with 2 popples.

I've wondered if my comp is ineffective? I'll try again when I get me new gun with the binary comp. 

Same here. I could tell a huge difference in my atlas compared to just about every powder I tried. AA7 was the closest

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread folks.  I'm looking for an alternative to when i finish with my AA7 powder.  I like the performance but it leaves my Tanfo open gun dirty-A.F.! For those who tested it, do you find it clean burning? I'm using 9.7 Gr AA7 at 1.115oal with RMR 115gr FMJ's and .376 crimp at the top of the casing. i have to load these short for my tanfo chamber.  But i'm definitely looking to this powder. I was considering looking at Silhouette because i hear that it's gassy and clean too. sounds like most of you that tried this has decided to use this Major Pistol as your go to powder now.  Am I correct in assuming that?

Thanks!!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, even though this is an old thread I'm going to post here because when I google for Major Pistol load data this comes up. I'll be testing in a custom built 5.4" KKM with CFD comp and 6 3/16" popple holes (kinda like a V6 pattern). Powder arrived today. I got 4lbs to play around with. Montana Gold 115, 124 JHP and 147 CMJ are almost here. Just so I can test a little today, I'm starting with a box of Zero 115gr FMJs that I found in the stash. I'd like to try Montana Gold 121s too but I'll have to order them separately.

Major Pistol looks like a lighter gray version of Accurate #7. And looking through other people's data, it uses an identical charge weight. I'm loading up a bunch right now.

My starting load:

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSP

And I'm also testing if there's any difference in primers.

Second load:

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSR

Tuesday night steel is tonight, so I'm going to go chrono before the match. Also, my rig from double alpha should be here today any minute😬

Well my DAA rig and the Montana Golds just arrived. Guess I'll put these Zeros back. Here's what I'll try today:

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSP

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSR

10.6gr MP

115gr Montana Gold JHP

1.165"

WSR

10.0gr 

124gr Montana Gold JHP

1.165"

WSR

Shot groups of minimum 5 and maximum 8 shots.

Load 1 (115gr FMJ with WSP Primers)

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSP

Results: 
Group 1: 1429 avg, 62 ES, 164.3pf
Group 2: 1441 avg, 41 ES, 165.7pf

Load 2 (Same with WSR Primers)

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSR

Results: 

Group 1: 1455 avg, 55 ES, 167.3pf

Group 2: 1452 avg, 30 ES, 167.0pf

Looks like there might be a reason to use WSR over WSP. They might possibly cause more consistent burn and very slightly higher velocity? But need to do a lot more testing to draw a real conclusion. Absolutely no difference in how the rounds felt.

Load 3 (115gr Montana Gold JHP with WSR Primers)

10.6gr MP

115gr Montana Gold JHP

1.165"

WSR

Results (only one group): 

1444 avg, 44 ES, 166.1pf

Load 4 (124gr Montana Gold JHP with WSR Primers)

10.0gr MP

124gr Montana Gold JHP

1.165"

WSR

1392 avg, 48 ES, 172.6pf

Notes:

In this gun, set up with 21lb hammer and 8lb recoil spring, the 115gr loads tracked noticeably better for me. I could use medium front to back grip pressure and eliminate any dip, and the cycle time was very fast. With the 124s and the same grip pressure, I could minimize the dip, but it never went away no matter what grip pressure I tried. Also, the 124s seemed to make the dot move a little more violently and less predictably (115s were pretty straight up and down, 124s seemed to have a rightward hook at the top of the dot pattern). Now I need to test a similar 170-172pf load with the 115s to see if I get a similar dot track.

8 hours ago, Maxamundo said:

Shot groups of minimum 5 and maximum 8 shots.

Load 1 (115gr FMJ with WSP Primers)

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSP

Results: 
Group 1: 1429 avg, 62 ES, 164.3pf
Group 2: 1441 avg, 41 ES, 165.7pf

Load 2 (Same with WSR Primers)

10.6gr MP

115gr Zero FMJ

1.175"

WSR

Results: 

Group 1: 1455 avg, 55 ES, 167.3pf

Group 2: 1452 avg, 30 ES, 167.0pf

Looks like there might be a reason to use WSR over WSP. They might possibly cause more consistent burn and very slightly higher velocity? But need to do a lot more testing to draw a real conclusion. Absolutely no difference in how the rounds felt.

Load 3 (115gr Montana Gold JHP with WSR Primers)

10.6gr MP

115gr Montana Gold JHP

1.165"

WSR

1444 avg, 44 ES, 166.1pf

Load 4 (124gr Montana Gold JHP with WSR Primers)

10.0gr MP

124gr Montana Gold JHP

1.165"

WSR

1392 avg, 48 ES, 172.6pf

Notes:

In this gun, set up with 21lb hammer and 8lb recoil spring, the 115gr loads tracked noticeably better for me. I could use medium front to back grip pressure and eliminate any dip, and the cycle time was very fast. With the 124s and the same grip pressure, I could minimize the dip, but it never went away no matter what grip pressure I tried. Also, the 124s seemed to make the dot move a little more violently and less predictably (115s were pretty straight up and down, 124s seemed to have a rightward hook at the top of the dot pattern). Now I need to test a similar 170-172pf load with the 115s to see if I get a similar dot track.

Did you experience any high pressure signs with the 115 with either primers?? I'm currently running 10. 0gr of SW 124 JHP V2 and was thinking about trying the 115 JHP V2 

3 hours ago, Furrly said:

Did you experience any high pressure signs with the 115 with either primers?? I'm currently running 10. 0gr of SW 124 JHP V2 and was thinking about trying the 115 JHP V2 

I'll look closer today. I'm trying out a 10.75gr load for the 115 Montana Golds. I was going to stick to WSR from now on but I can do a tube of 100 WSP to compare for you 😀

Edited by Maxamundo

I doubt there will be any pressure signs at 10.75.  I run 10.2 under a 115 HAP for 168PF with no signs at all.  I've gone as high as 10.5  and still no pressure signs.  I only have two 3/16" poppels.  I'm surprised that Max only needed .4gr more powder with six 3/16" poppels.

BTW, the 115s run softer and flatter than 124s in my pistol.

10 hours ago, zzt said:

BTW, the 115s run softer and flatter than 124s in my pistol.

That's exactly what I felt today. Did a 5/5/5/5 test alternating back and forth maintaining grip pressure, just watching the dot. 124s moved more, gave a stronger impulse to my hands, and settled slower than the 115s.

Here are some pictures of the fired casings. I was surprised at how terribly the WSPs did with the pressures. WSRs were ok, but not as good as CCIs, which are basically perfect at loads that pancaked the s#!t out of WSPs. I'm going to test CCI Small Rifle and Small Rifle Magnum against each other to see if there are any differences in velocity and consistency, but I think I'm totally done with Winchesters in 9 major for now.

B35EbNJ.jpg
AyXJixp.jpg

Ev0tnxl.jpg

x7CxhA7.jpg

XVFHdEy.jpg

bV26dsr.jpg

dfkuPjC.jpg

Edited by Maxamundo

On 10/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, zzt said:

I only have two 3/16" poppels.  I'm surprised that Max only needed .4gr more powder with six 3/16" poppels.

I need to correct myself, my six 45 degree popples are actually 1/8th. 3/16th is what we might add on top. I got it confused.

10 hours ago, Maxamundo said:

I need to correct myself, my six 45 degree popples are actually 1/8th. 3/16th is what we might add on top. I got it confused.

That makes more sense.  Six 1/8" is the equivalent of 2.8 3/16" poppels.  I'd be leery about adding more poppels.  You are already at 10.7 for 170PF.  If you add more holes you'll need more powder to make 170 again.  Since MP is very compressible, you could do it, but the case will be so full you'll spill a lot of powder when the shell plate turns.  I get a little at 10.2gr.  At 11gr I would get a lot.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

That makes more sense.  Six 1/8" is the equivalent of 2.8 3/16" poppels.  I'd be leery about adding more poppels.  You are already at 10.7 for 170PF.  If you add more holes you'll need more powder to make 170 again.  Since MP is very compressible, you could do it, but the case will be so full you'll spill a lot of powder when the shell plate turns.  I get a little at 10.2gr.  At 11gr I would get a lot.

What's your take on the display of primers he put up? 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

If you add them closer to the comp, you won't lose as much velocity as adding them further back from the comp. My 6 holes now are pretty far back from the comp. The 3/16ths would be much much closer. 

Also it was a little weird, but with no adjustments from the press, I loaded more supposedly at the 10.75gr with 115, same OAL, and I was getting 174pf for 6 groups of 5 in a row. That was with CCI 500 and CCI 450 (which had 0 difference in consistency or velocity).

42 minutes ago, Furrly said:

What's your take on the display of primers he put up? 

I only use CCI 500 primers. I found early on the CCIs returned better SDs than the WSPs.   His CCIs are a little flat because he went to 10.7gr.  At 10.2, I get no flattening with CCI at all.  He is also using Montana Gold bullets.  They are slower than the HAPs and PDs I use, so the pressure will be a little higher.

31 minutes ago, Maxamundo said:

If you add them closer to the comp, you won't lose as much velocity as adding them further back from the comp. My 6 holes now are pretty far back from the comp. The 3/16ths would be much much closer. 

True, but you will still need more powder so you'll get more spillage.  I don't understand why anyone would put holes way back from the comp.  You lessen the flattening effect.

Edited by zzt

28 minutes ago, zzt said:

I only use CCI 500 primers. I found early on the CCIs returned better SDs than the WSPs.   His CCIs are a little flat because he went to 10.7gr.  At 10.2, I get no flattening with CCI at all.  He is also using Montana Gold bullets.  They are slower than the HAPs and PDs I use, so the pressure will be a little higher.

True, but you will still need more powder so you'll get more spillage.  I don't understand why anyone would put holes way back from the comp.  You lessen the flattening effect.

Have you ever had any light primer strikes with CCI primers, I had that experiance with my Limited Blasters so I decided "NO MAS" ?