Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to coated bullets - need suggestions

Jollymon32

Moving from plated 124 RN Xtreme, to coated.

Shooting from a CZ Accushadow which currently loves 1.150 OAL.  I have a stockpile of N320.

i have researched Blue and Acme.

Looking for pros and cons of these and other brands.

Thanks!

Edited by Jollymon32
Misspelled

I switched from bayou to blue. 

The pros of blue:

Doesn't lead

Coating is more durable

The diameter is .355/easier to seat

Cons of blue:

The coating gets on your hand when loading.

Pros of bayou:

Coating does not get on your hand

Cons:

I Have had batches that coating flakes off.

Bullet diameter is .356-.357 ( really need to expand cases to seat without scraping off coating)

I have experience leading in 9mm major and 9mm minor (pcc only)

Accuracy depends on barrel. My glocks like the oversized bayou. One of my open (infinity barrel) likes the blue a lot.  Other open (also infinity barrel) desnt like the blues as well but cannot try bayou due to leading. Pcc likes the blue better. 

So my 2 cents is that you may need to try some sample packs from different brands to see what your barrel likes. 

Edited by Stymie12000

You should have no problems switching to coated, they work great. I'm seeing more and more coated bullets at matches. Personally I shoot Blues, and also Shoot for Blue Bullets so I may be biased. I shot blue's before I got on their team though. Use the code ENNIS to save 5% off your order. If you have any questions message me and I'll do my best to answer them. The big things is start your load work up like you're running lead, and don't over crimp. Most people that have problems with any coated bullet are over crimping. If you're running plated you're probably already know about that.

The biggest complaint I hear is about the blue dust on your fingers after loading. I guess shooters don't like washing their hands after handling brass and bullets. Personally I recommend washing your hands with any product, but that's just me, I'm weird. It's not that the coating is coming off, like some seem to think. They coat the bullets several times and cure them. Then they size them. Some of the coating is removed during sizing and becomes a dust that is left on the bullets. They could probably eliminate that dust by washing the bullets after sizing, but that would add a step to the process.

I've heard there are things in the works to make their products even better(I can't say what). Not to mention they sponsor a lot of evens and support our community.

He nailed it I’ve shot but load of blues in minor an major. No leading damn  accurate  As jhp. Just water whips blue off. Great price also. U can find codes all the time an save 5%. The acme probably great also. I’ve seen em in a match just never used em

Zero issues with Blue Bullets, Gallant, or SNS, all supporters of various USPSA events.

Profile may matter, lighter Blues are truncated cone designs, combined with .355 dia they're pretty short throat friendly. Also .355 dia equals less gauge rejects if using unsorted range brass.

The only problem i see is the OAL you are looking for. The new 124 grain bullet from ACME that was redesigned for a longer OAL might get you there but i do not believe you will get that with any of the other of the makers. The  new ACME bullet was designed to address the short OAL in CZ's and other short chambered guns. You might want to get a sample order from each of the ones named above to find out which one works best for you.

New bullet, new OAL. Your gun only "loves" the current OAL because the barrel/bullet/powder combination works. Since one of those factors are about to change you can ditch the idea of needing to keep the OAL the same.

Change is good...............lol.

Edited by 4n2t0

9 minutes ago, Jollymon32 said:

Will all the coated bullets exhibit the burnt crayon / burnt electrical smell?  Or is that a specific bullet?

Generally coated bullets only smell bad when the coating hasn't been cured properly.

Edited by 4n2t0

10 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

The only problem i see is the OAL you are looking for.

The 124gr Blue can be loaded longer than any other RN that I have played with.

The 125gr TC from Black bullets has the most short-chamber friendly ogive though. A gun that wouldn’t take the old fat Acme 124s at 1.110” will take those Black Bullets at 1.150”

57 minutes ago, z40acp said:

Blue bullets = blue finger and thumb

It's called latex gloves people! Keep the smutz and lead and nastiness off your hands! Would you handle dog poo bare handed?

Anyhoo - Any of the coated bullets are good to go. Price varies about $0.01 per bullet per Manufacturer, everyone has a 5%-10% discount out there. Profiles vary widely. Either purchase 5-10 sample packs from different vendors or just go whole hog, flip a coin, and buy 10,000 of the winner.

12 hours ago, corbinfouquet said:

Acme from my experience is super inconsistent in terms of weight blues are pretty good. But I've had the most success with bbi

Agree with all points.

Blues are .355 and BBI / Acme are .356” as well, so your gun might have a preference for one or the other.

I like Precision Bullets in Kemp, Texas.  precisionbullets.com

As suggested above, get some sample packs and try different diameters as well as configurations to see what feeds and is most accurate in your gun/guns.  In my 9mm with a Kart barrel the .358 125 grain Flat Point has excellent accuracy.