Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stipple or Talon grips?

Trying to decide which to do on my p320. I've used talon grips (the rubberized kind) on many different guns of mine and love them, but for this gun it is for competition and would have the grip tape type if I went that route. 

Also, if i was to stipple it would be the ultra fine tedious type. 

Edited by mikek2111987

I have a P07 (usual EDC).  I used to wonder why people were always modifying the surface of the grip.  Mine was fine, no issues.

Then, one day last summer when it was about as hot/humid as it ever gets around here I was at the range.  My shirt was soaked as wet as if I'd been out in the rain.  My glasses were fogging up so rapidly that I couldn't shoot 5 shots without taking them off to wipe them on a pants leg or a tissue (my wife carries lots of stuff around in her purse, you know).  And that P07 was moving around in my wet, sweaty hand.  Every couple of shots I was having to re-grip it.  That had never happened before.  It's a .40 S&W and I shoot some fast 135's in it.  About as snappy as a snub nosed .357 with about the same amount of flash/bang.  That's when I knew I had to change something.  

I ordered a set of the Talon wraps for it and they really made a difference.  Follow the cleaning/installation instructions and they work.  

Another one of those things I didn't "believe" till it happened to me.

Stippling for carry,  grip tape (I have the Springer Precision one on my X5) for competition.  It's extremely aggressive and it makes me consider getting smooth metal grips for my 2011 in order to get a silicon carbide (i think that's what it's called) treatment. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used Talon sandpaper grip tape for many years and they work great.  They would always slip a little, so I’d have to add a few drops of super glue as needed. I don’t care if the glue is unsightly.  I’d beat my gun with a rock if I thought it’d make me shoot better.  I ran the grip tape on my Shadow with the standard rubber grips underneath, and then did the same thing with my Shadow 2.  Eventually I noticed I was having a hard time slamming in the mags and reinstalled the original aluminum grips.  After this the mags slipped right in every time.  I found the mags were being slowed down from the friction of the rubber on the back side of the grips.  Fortunately, VZ grips is right around the corner so I purchased some of their palm swells and weened my way off the grip tape.  

I also like to use grip enhancer lotion to make the fingers of the weak hand stick to the fingers of the strong hand.  All this together seems to make a big difference.  

I have one stippled gun, not fine, super grippy, has worn some with relatively low usage.

Ran Talon grit grip tape on one for a year, held up well, lost some grip over time.

DIY'd silicon carbide, we'll see how it wears, two or three months in it has as much traction as day one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, bluedevil008 said:

Stippling for carry,  grip tape (I have the Springer Precision one on my X5) for competition.  It's extremely aggressive and it makes me consider getting smooth metal grips for my 2011 in order to get a silicon carbide (i think that's what it's called) treatment. 

You don't need the meatal grips for silicon carbide grips. Blend the polymer grip to the shape you want and use Marine Tex and your choice of grit screen size. Lots of opinions on that.

21 hours ago, limitedgun said:

You don't need the meatal grips for silicon carbide grips. Blend the polymer grip to the shape you want and use Marine Tex and your choice of grit screen size. Lots of opinions on that.

No you don't, but metal > polymer in my opinion due to firmness and weight.  So in order to get the best of both worlds, I'd need a smooth metal grip. 

1 hour ago, bluedevil008 said:

No you don't, but metal > polymer in my opinion due to firmness and weight.  So in order to get the best of both worlds, I'd need a smooth metal grip. 

In that case you save yourself a ton of work and get the Cheely Evo2 grip. To heck with the silicon carbide. After working with SC for over 40 years it is much better suited for polymer.

16 hours ago, limitedgun said:

In that case you save yourself a ton of work and get the Cheely Evo2 grip. To heck with the silicon carbide. After working with SC for over 40 years it is much better suited for polymer.

I've already got a PT Evo, and from everything I've heard, it's already more aggressive than the Cheely.  But that's good to know about being better for polymer.

Try the stippling, that is how I got started many, many years ago. The worst thing you could do is buy another set of plastic grips.  That is how all of these other folks got started. No days, everyone is a pro grip grinder.

• 3 weeks later...

I stippled my 320 grip and it worked great but I was looking for more grip. I ended up doing a silicone carbide (glue n grit). It’s way better than my stippled grip. I didn’t want to deal with the grip tape falling off either that’s why I went With the Glue n Grit. The best part about the 320 is you can always buy another grip if it doesn’t turn out and your out maybe $40.

I’ve used Talon grips on competition guns (sandpaper) and carry guns (rubber) for a few years and about three months ago I threw them all away. The rubber gets slick in my hands and the sandpaper grips end up getting torn up after 3 months or so. I dry fire daily and shoot every weekend and they just don’t hold up well enough for me. I started using pro grip (doesn’t seem to work well with talons) and even with a stock polymer grip I don’t have issues. The stipples grips I have felt are just as good, if not better than talon grips, and it lasts forever. I would stipple my glocks but I’m not great with tedious work and don’t want to pay to have it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used both types of Talon Grips, and found that I like the sandpaper more.  With that being said I have a stipple job on my G34 (multi gun) and on my STI (USPSA), and will never go back.  Yes, it is time consuming, but you don't have to worry about it stipple being torn up or glue letting loose over time. The stipple will wear with time but the grip and function is still there.  There are a few companies out there that will do it for you, but at the end of the day if you put in the time and work, you will always look at that gun knowing that you did it.

• 2 weeks later...

I first messed with talon grips. One of the best add ons I have ever done. Then a few years later, I stippled my pistol just to see whats the big deal. 

It took too long, and it did not have the texture that I really liked from the granulate talon grips.

I saw the silicon carbide and wanted to try it out. Bought the 2lb pack from amazon and man....3 guns later... I love how it feels, and how it looks. I also have more sc to do other things.