Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When do you disengage thumb safety?

AF2010

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disengage the saftey as soon as the gun has cleared the holster and is coming up to the target. I’ve dryfired it so much that it’s muscle memory and I couldn’t pin point the exact moment it happens but it’s probably somewhere around a 45 degree angle just because I’m moving the gun and my support hand so fast for that first shot. 

About midway between the holster and weak hand. Feels natural, acquiring my grip that way. Also, any later would cost time on the rare weak-hand transfer. With a single-sided safety at least. 

I do this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the muzzle is leaving the holster and started to point towards the target. 

Except for that one time when I went from shooting an M&P for a while then decided to shoot SS for giggles and forgot to disengage until after I pulled the trigger and watched that muzzle dip. ?

I disengage the safety as I am coming up to get my sight picture. since I started shooting a 2011 that is naturally what I did when disengaging the safety and it seems perfectly safe to me. number one safety is keeping your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until your ready to shoot

52 minutes ago, robb315 said:

Go back through this post. Already quoted rule number. 

Yes the rule was quoted. But it amazes me how several folks still thought it was ok to flip off safe as soon as they touch the gun. If the gun is still holstered and flip safety off that’s a DQ without question. It’s pretty hard to catch though as things happen so fast. The one case I saw was a guy drawing and holster was left locked. He grabbed gun and flipped off safety and gun never left holster. He was DQed when RO noticed safety off while trying to draw.

10 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

Very interesting. I have never heard of this happening. It makes you wonder why that person locked his holster after making ready.

Probably had the pistol locked while pasting/resetting and failed to think about unlocking when given make ready command.

First time I switched from a striker fired pistol to a 2011 I was DQ’d for a ND as I disengaged safety right out of the holster and before I was on target trigger finger came in sent one down range.  Since that time I’m riding safety until I get sight picture on the target.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Yeti said:

I disengage (thumb stays on) after the muzzle clears the holster, but is pointed low and downrange on the way up... well before my support hand comes on. 

This.  Barrel is close to horizontal but not much above my waist.  Support hand is just starting to come under the trigger guard.  

I'm in the 4 motion draw camp. 

1. Scoop or seat the grip while bringing the support and near the stomach

2. Pull the pistol up to clear the holster 

3. As the pistol comes up, take the safety off just before your support hand lands so that the support hand doesn't get in the way of the safety coming down

4. Lock in and punch out while getting the trigger finger on the face of the trigger

After that, see sights, go bang!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, Mikeski said:

I disengage once both hands are on the gun and I am pushing out towards target. It seems the most natural to me.

This is also when I take the safety off.  Pistol is pointing down range and is in a safe direction.

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, Hawk21 said:

Probably had the pistol locked while pasting/resetting and failed to think about unlocking when given make ready command.

First time I switched from a striker fired pistol to a 2011 I was DQ’d for a ND as I disengaged safety right out of the holster and before I was on target trigger finger came in sent one down range. ...

If the shot had landed outside of 10 feet from your location and not over the berm you should not have been DQed. ND by itself during the COF is not a DQable offense.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:52 AM, tanks said:

If the shot had landed outside of 10 feet from your location and not over the berm you should not have been DQed. ND by itself during the COF is not a DQable offense.

Tanks thanks for that....BUT

RO stated the bullet ricocheted off the ground and over the berm into the trees, thus warranting the DQ.

Edited by Hawk21

1 hour ago, Hawk21 said:

Tanks thanks for that....BUT

RO stated the bullet ricocheted off the ground and over the berm into the trees, thus warranting the DQ.

BULL$#!T !! If it strikes the ground more than 10ft away it doesn’t matter where it goes after that. Bad call!!

Edited by Sarge

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

BULL$#!T !! If it strikes the ground more than 10ft away it doesn’t matter where it goes after that. Bad call!!

By the letter of rule 10.4.1it appears that the shooter was not firing a shot at a target so he is not granted allowance for the bullet traveling in an unsafe direction?

Seems like the r.o. made a reasonable call??