Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulled plated bullets for sale...note big crimp marks

TobyJ

I came across some 'demilled' plated bullets online...doesn't say what ammo they were pulled from, but they have large qty's available.  Does the military use plated 9mm for anything?  Figure its either them, or a large commercial outfit.  What really caught my eye, though,  is the noticeable crimp mark on the bullet.  I've always thought that such a mark would not only mean that the crimp die is set wrong, but that the bullets likely wouldn't stabilize, and all sorts of other bad stuff. 

Assuming these were part of some 'professionally loaded' product, I'm thinking either the deep crimp is not that big of a deal (as long as the plating isn't cut) or maybe that's why these ended up as pulls.  If the latter, sort of lame to put them up for sale...

FWIW, they are 147gr plated, and are being sold for $.06 each over at reloading valley.

TobyJ

plated bullets.png

I can buy 147 gr Blue Bullets for less than 7.5 cents each, and coated bullets shoot better for me than new plated bullets.  If the accuracy potential of these pulled plated bullets has been degraded, they might not shoot well at ALL!  

Also, you can bet the picture would show some of the best they have available, and worse ones will be in the lot.  

A "bargain" can be turn out to not be a bargain at all, if the product performs poorly... 

If you are shooting these and you miss your target, was it the bullet, or you?  

I won't be buying any. 

This post was less about the value of the projectiles, but more about the big crimp mark, and how maybe 'over crimping' isn't the problem lots of folks think it is.  I have had good luck with many different plated bullets...Xtreme, Berry's, and most recently Frontier, in both 124 and 147.  I've always crimped 'just enough', and would have tossed stuff that looked like this.  

TobyJ

Yep!  I think most reloaders would consider those bullets scrap.  

OTOH, perhaps they will shoot just fine.  One really cannot tell without shooting them.  

Buy some and let us know how they shoot for you...  

22 minutes ago, TobyJ said:

This post was less about the value of the projectiles, but more about the big crimp mark, and how maybe 'over crimping' isn't the problem lots of folks think it is.

Over crimping is a real problem and is clearly substantiated by many testimonials on these forums and elsewhere.

Just because some large commercial reloader wrecked a large quantity of bullets, that doesn't mean overcrimping (esp plated bullets) isn't a real problem. Why do you think those were pulled and being sold at discount? I'd only bother trying them if they were free. It's not worth the risk that they won't shoot well or even developing a load for them if you won't be able to buy more once these are sold off.

You can get amce 147 coated for .0704 cents each with the forum discount delivered do your door that's for 2500 bullets. Very nice looking bullets shooting real good for me out of my glocks and sigs.

5 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

if that  is just a ring and everything below that is still .356 i don't think it will matter

It's not the ring that the case mouth made that's the problem.  It's that when the rifling engraves across that groove, it will tear and displace copper unevenly.

Edited by IDescribe

17 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

if that  is just a ring and everything below that is still .356 i don't think it will matter. i have reloaded pulls that i pulled from rounds found on the range and they worked fine.  if you can order a few to sample i would do that 

I've wondered about this...as in, what about an excessive crimp hurts accuracy.  It can't be just the groove, as some bullets feature cannelures or even lube grooves.  I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just curious as to why.

And I have no intention of trying these...I just thought it was interesting to see plated bullets with big crimp marks being sold.  As others have said, they are pulls for a reason...maybe that's a big part of it.

TobyJ

9 minutes ago, TobyJ said:

I've wondered about this...as in, what about an excessive crimp hurts accuracy.  It can't be just the groove, as some bullets feature cannelures or even lube grooves.  I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just curious as to why.

And I have no intention of trying these...I just thought it was interesting to see plated bullets with big crimp marks being sold.  As others have said, they are pulls for a reason...maybe that's a big part of it.

TobyJ

it's not the ring, but the possibility of the plating peeling outside the barrel turning a stable spinning slick bullet into one of these: snakeye_raid.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

I bought some of those pulls about a year ago... couple K of 230gr 45's.  Was really good deal, but they came in undersized, which I guess was to be expected for pulls, but some would even drop into sized cases...not good.  AR replaced them, and to be honest I haven't even opened the boxes...  they got put in the back of my Hillary pile, and now not sure that I will ever use them.  But I decided to avoid AR after that, just not worth the few cents savings.  I buy coated now or Zero for full power loads ie 10mm or 44mag, etc.  I also bought some of those 115/124 and 165/180 mixed boxes from AR, what a pita it was separating those lol... never again.

its not even just the crimp on the pictured bullets, how about the fact that the crimp is only on about 1/2 the circumference of the bullet. something like that should be scrapped and melted down, not sold as pulls or 2nds.