Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

What are some parts on the x5 that tend to break under regular wear and tear?  I’ve been running my X5 for about 2000 rounds now and am looking to keep some extra parts in my range bag so I’m not totally screwed come match time. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Jon_S said:

What are some parts on the x5 that tend to break under regular wear and tear?  I’ve been running my X5 for about 2000 rounds now and am looking to keep some extra parts in my range bag so I’m not totally screwed come match time. 

Trigger bar spring is the only thing I have had break after 20k rounds. But it was the aftermarket Gray Guns spring and had been removed and reassembled several times. 

44 minutes ago, Jon_S said:

Trigger return spring is the only thing I've heard that has broken.

Mag springs

Recoil springs

like any other gun

I had my rear sight break. A crack that radiated out from the elevation screw developed after about 5000 rounds. I've since replaced the broken one and got another to have as a spare. I also switched to a shorter front sight so I could run the rear a little lower and not have it bounce as much. So, all that said I think it might be a good idea to have an extra  rear sight plate/assembly around.

3 hours ago, dansedgli said:

A guy posting on gray guns facebook page with a daughter that shoots one has gone through a few striker springs. 

Are people running factory striker springs? I just got an X5 and need some spares 

12 hours ago, Jon_S said:

This should help with your maintenance and spare parts planning.  Note - I took the Armorer Class before the XFive was released, however, the FCU is the same for all P320s, to the best of my knowledge. That being understood, those of us shooting an XFive competitively should probably adhere to the recommended intervals due to the “hard” use we subject the pistol to.  

I completed the Sig Sauer P320 Armorer's Class in late 2015. Here are the Sig Sauer specs from the factory manual on that date. Note - the intent of this post is not to publish proprietary SIG specs, rather, to communicate information that directly affects the reliability  of these pistols.  That is critical when they are used as Duty & EDC firearms and important when used in Competitions.  As such, If anyone from Sig is looking and has a concern with this post, I submit that they should not because following the Sig recommended maintenance intervals will make their pistols have a good reputation versus a poor one. 

Detailed disassembly and inspection by a trained armorer = every 3 years or 5,000 rounds.

Recoil Spring for P320 full size = 10,000 rounds.
Compact & Subcompact Recoil Spring = 5,000 rounds.

All 320 pistols, regardless of size:
• Extractor, Extractor Spring, Striker Assembly & Takedown Lever: all of those = 20,000 rounds.

• Slide Catch Lever, Slide Catch Lever Spring and post = 10,000 rounds.
• Magazine Spring = When the magazine fails to lock the slide open. Our instructor also uses this rule personally - when a used mag spring is permanently compressed 1.5 coil lengths shorter than a brand new mag spring (a new "master" spring kept for reference), he replaces it.

Just as importantly, here are the important new things I learned about LUBRICATION:
•  Striker assembly is cleaned and dried only. DO NOT LUBRICATE THE (FIRING PIN) STRIKER ASSEMBLY.
 • Sear and sear assembly is cleaned and dried only. DO NOT LUBRICATE THE SEAR ASSEMBLY.
As a mechanical engineer, the “don’t lube the sear assembly area” originally did not make sense to me. It did make sense after we disassembled the entire pistol and I saw a few things and experienced them for myself.  
1. The materials that those parts are made of are innately VERY slick. 
2. The parts do not move very much at all, they rock a for a short distance and that is it (they are not rotating in circles like a crankshaft).
3. Because they need no lubrication, adding lubrication simply gives carbon, dirt, etc. a place to collect and really gum up the works.

4. My personal experience = when when the action parts (sear, etc.) are lubricated, my trigger action got sluggish and very dull =

not crisp on break and reset. 

I genuinely hope this helps you guys. 

Edited by DCSigCZ

On 6/24/2019 at 6:32 AM, DCSigCZ said:

All 320 pistols, regardless of size:
• Extractor, Extractor Spring, Striker Assembly & Takedown Lever: all of those = 20,000 rounds.

Any idea why they recommend the entire striker assembly and not just the springs?

Edited by Rich406

9 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Any idea why they recommend the entire striker assembly and not just the springs?

They specify the complete striker assembly to maximize reliability. If it’s a range gun, it’d be interesting to see how many rounds the pin will go by just replacing springs. People using a P320 for EDC and Max Michel should, out of ultimate conservatism, change the whole assembly. (My EDC should obviously perform flawlessly.  And, when one is going for a World Championship, we must have our pistol fire every time or that World Championship slips right through our fingers... 🤣)

1 hour ago, DCSigCZ said:

They specify the complete striker assembly to maximize reliability. If it’s a range gun, it’d be interesting to see how many rounds the pin will go by just replacing springs. People using a P320 for EDC and Max Michel should, out of ultimate conservatism, change the whole assembly. (My EDC should obviously perform flawlessly.  And, when one is going for a World Championship, we must have our pistol fire every time or that World Championship slips right through our fingers... 🤣)

I have a x5 that has about 35k on it. I recently replaced the 3 springs in the striker. Comparing it to new striker, it looked fine with no visible wear. So I was curious. 

1 hour ago, be032 said:

Are the strikers the same across the P320 line, including the X5?

1 minute ago, Solsand said:

Are the strikers the same across the P320 line, including the X5?

Yes.

They made the skeletonized the striker when the X5 was released, and then made the rolling change to the whole line. They all work the same in my experience, the benefits of lightened strikers are fairy tales at best.

Currently have 2 X5's, one I have kept with sights to teach classes where most students are using s, the other set up for CO with a Vortex on a Springer mount.  Looking to set up the  top end with an optic as a back up gun.

Before I jump into the pool and just set it up exactly as my current CO gun, the Romeo3 looks interesting, with its large field of view, but appears to be very expensive from Sig (as well as out of stock).  

Anyone actually used one?

Thoughts?

Availability and cost elsewhere?

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, gearguywb said:

Currently have 2 X5's, one I have kept with sights to teach classes where most students are using s, the other set up for CO with a Vortex on a Springer mount.  Looking to set up the  top end with an optic as a back up gun.

Before I jump into the pool and just set it up exactly as my current CO gun, the Romeo3 looks interesting, with its large field of view, but appears to be very expensive from Sig (as well as out of stock).  

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

I originally had a Romeo 3, on one Xfive, and a Romeo 1, on the other. Both had 3 MOA dots. I liked the larger window on the Romeo 3, but I’m a little color blind, and had problems seeing the dots on both optics. I tried a Romeo 1, with a 6 MOA dot, and it’s about the brightest dot I’ve ever seen, so now I have them on both of my Xfives. I bought both through Planet Optics.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:29 AM, Rich406 said:

I have a x5 that has about 35k on it. I recently replaced the 3 springs in the striker. Comparing it to new striker, it looked fine with no visible wear. So I was curious. 

Did you replace the striker safety spring? Did your trigger pull change? 

I have the holosun red dot that’s the same footprint as a RMR. Thinking about getting the springer adapter plate vs buying a Romeo. Thoughts?? Obviously cheaper?? Wait on the “beefed up” Romeo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Did you replace the striker safety spring? Did your trigger pull change? 

‘Yes, I changed all 3 springs. Didn’t really notice a difference in pull. But, I didn’t measure either. 

17 hours ago, gearguywb said:

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

The original romeo 3 has been discontinued and is supposed to be replaced by the Romeo 3 MAX later this year if what Max Michel is putting out is correct. I have a couple of the original romeo 3's on PCC's and I really like them, I was trying to get another one to use on a open pistol but then decided I don't want to mess with open anymore as well as the fact that they are no longer being made. The new one should be an upgrade and hopefully they will have more options on dot size.