Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm powder

DOODS

I think the answer to this is ........... Tite group. When querying championship matches...

But YMMV........

You'll get a lot of different answers.

For me I liked bullseye but it was hard to get.... Now I'm using tite group.

I think the better answer is customizing.........what can you get? And what loads best for your pills, pistol, and power factor, not to mention adding in human factor, and how you load.

I don't shoot USPSA, but drop price from your thought process. The difference between expensive powder and cheap powder is in the noise. N320 is no more than $27/lb. and I suppose cheap powders are $20/lb. So at 1500 rounds/lb, for example, that's $0.005/round. I suppose if you shoot 10K rounds/month the $50 is above the noise floor, but as a percentage the 1/2 cent is peanuts.

I'm guessing you'll see a lot of people say Titegroup and a lot say N320 for minor loads. In terms of performance, they're very similar, but N320 is more expensive. It's also cleaner and cooler burning. It's also a lot harder to create a double charge with, since it's much "fluffier." It's possible to achieve great results with either. If you're looking for economy, Titegroup is the better choice. If you want the advantages that N320 offers, you have to pay to play. That said, powder is the least expensive component, so even though N320 costs around double what Titegroup does, using it really doesn't raise the per-round price very much.

I always used WW231 for 9mm Minor - never had a chance to try N320 since my supply of WW231 was so high.

But, the WW231 was very good - especially liked it with a heavy bullet.

In 9mm Major, I like WAC and HS6, but again, my supply is so large that I've never had an opportunity

to try N350 or the 3N's.

Really? Crap lets ask what pick-up is the best or which motorcycle?

Are we talking steel challenge, minor for production or major for open? Take aside 1 hour and scan the load threads in this forums it is staggering! Mostly for production minor you'll find Titegroup, WST, and N320. They are the most popular but many also have their pets.

Titegroup is king

Even for Coated bullets?

Yes. But like someone noted, it's hell on FO rods. Usually after a few matches, the heat tends to melt and shrink my FO rod. Edited by Postal Bob

Is Viht expensive? It's all about the resolution through which you look at it. Sure, it's not THAT much more expensive per round, but I don't buy powder by the round. I buy by the pound, typically 16-24 pounds at a time, and when I can buy 24 pounds of Bullseye for $378 OR I can buy 24 pounds of N320 for $660, I'm buying the Bullseye. It's not even a question. And that's IF all else is equal, which it is not. I find Bullseye to outperform N320 in the area I care most about: accuracy. N320 is inarguably very good powder, but I have not found it to be any better than a number of other very good powders that are significantly less expensive.

As for Titegroup, it's all right. I've loaded a lot of it. It's good. Not great.

The most accurate loads I've produced in 9mm with faster burning "soft-shooting" powders have been with Bullseye and America Select. I love them both.